Official: Patrick Vieira To Juve (20 Viewers)

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Vieira set to pen Juve deal Thursday 14 July, 2005

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira will be wearing the Juventus shirt next season, insist reports in Italy.

The Serie A outfit held further talks with the Highbury club last night, where a transfer fee of between £13m and £18m is thought to have been agreed.

"We are on the verge of signing him," said director general Luciano Moggi. "The deal should be completed this afternoon."

The French international will reportedly sign a five-year deal in Turin worth just under £2m a season.

The midfielder, tied to Arsenal until 2007, has been linked with the Stadio Delle Alpi outfit for some weeks after Juve admitted their interest in him.

Initial talks took place last week before the Juventus triad of Moggi, Roberto Bettega and Antonio Giraudo flew into London for further discussions last night.

The Bianconeri initially offered a player plus cash deal but the Highbury outfit rejected, insisting they wanted cash only or Jonathan Zebina – a player Juve don’t want to lose.

Juventus will now look to cover the cost involved in Vieira’s swoop by selling off a host of their squad players.

Fabrizio Miccoli, Igor Tudor and Enzo Maresca are just three men who will be sold during the summer.

The proposed arrival of Vieira will now significantly strengthen the Juventus midfield, as he will slot in alongside Mauro Camoranesi, Emerson and Pavel Nedved.

Vieira, who has already worked under boss Fabio Capello during a spell at Milan, could put pen to paper on a contract by the end of this week.

Juventus are also interested in signing Robert Pires, who is currently in the middle of contract talks with the Premiership outfit.

source: channel4.com

Almost screamed in my lab when reading the news today, so I will scream at home :D

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
some times ago I saw an article about the formation of the teams capello. At his great milan side early 90s he had allways 2 great definsive midfielders,
Desailly-Raikard, Raikard-Albertini.
So I think this was a great step to get a great season.. I want the CL, and I have never belived so strong that we can do it.. we need now only a defender (we could keep Tudor) and a offensive wide player (Pires won´t be bad). It will be great if we keep Maresca..

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

So where would Mutu play then? Up front? That still doesn't solve much, given that we have enough forwards to stock both ourselves and Inter.
Zala and Miccoli are exiting Turin, we all know that. That leaves us with an offensive four: Zlatan, Mutu, Trez and Dp. With Cassano going to be on his way in, Id like him to replace Dp rather than Mutu. That should keep our attack well balanced for some time to come. Wouldnt say we're well stocked for both ourselves and Inter. Thats a little much. (If you said any other team I'd believe you, but Inter? Man, even half of Brazil's population wouldnt solve their problems.)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Even though Vieira had an average season this past year, he is still IMO a world class midfielder who will add drive and control to our midfield, something we have lacked lately. And even a crappy Patrick Vieira is 100 times better than a Manuele Blasi, for instance. Now our central midfield will have two of the top 20 best midfielders in the world, and I can't wait until next season starts. :drool:
How do you rate a player if you dont look at his last season? If I was a Juve fan, I'd worry about 2 things with Vieira, he never really turns up in big games and the fact that he cant handle the pressure. I it a good signing because you cant rely on him, unless the team is playing well, f your ever in the positiom were you'd lost a couple of games on a bad run. You cant count on him to drag you out of it. Want proof, look at what happened to Arsenal have the 2-0 defeat to Man Utd last season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)