Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm sorry, but here's the list of the players that were overrated by Italians:

Barzagli
Materazzi
Grosso
Ambrosini
Aquilani
Di Natale
Toni
De Rossi

All those players were vastly overrated by Italians and Donadoni. Those players played horribly, didn't even do anything while having high price tags (Aquilani), and they're not anything near "World Class" by any stretch of the imagination. No friggin' way. Without Cannavaro, you're left with no world class defenders. Zambrotta sucked, Panucci is Panucci, and Chiellini isn't world class yet.

Midfield. Not world class. Perrotta and Ambrosini playing against Spain Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, etc? Spain has a world class midfield, not Italy.

Strikers, well I won't get into that because it's obvious with Di Natale you'll suffer.

This isn't the team of two years ago, and just with a couple absences can cause you problems. Yes, it's partly Donadoni's fault, but all these players I've mentioned didn't step up and have been vastly overrated.

:rolleyes:

And this kid says Americans don't know anything about football.

Di Natale blows. Always an overrated player.
Aquilani's young, Toni's a great player who simply wasn't in good shape (and I think Burke will confirm that), De Rossi is a great midfielder and Grosso played an outstanding tournament. The other four blow. Materazzi had a good WC, that's all he ever did in his career, but I'm not going to bitch about that :).

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
I'm with you on this lion, there's not a team in the world that would'nt want the complete midfielder that de rossi brings to the table, maybe only Chelsea- Essien, lamps and ballack. Liverpool- gerrard, masch and now possibly barry. Might not need him.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Yeah I also forgot Mascherano >>>>>> De Rossi

He wouldn't start in Pool either, so Lion was flat out wrong.

De Rossi doesn't even come close. Overrated player IMO.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah I also forgot Mascherano >>>>>> De Rossi

He wouldn't start in Pool either, so Lion was flat out wrong.

De Rossi doesn't even come close. Overrated player IMO.
I have to disagree there, Andy. De Rossi is one of the best midfielders in the world right now. He's an arrogant Italian who plays for Roma, but you're wrong on this one.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
no he's not over-rated, he is a solid performer and has been a major driving force in Roma's midfield but that's my opinion and you are entitled to yours.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I have to disagree there, Andy. De Rossi is one of the best midfielders in the world right now. He's an arrogant Italian who plays for Roma, but you're wrong on this one.
Well I think you're wrong. We'll have to disagree.

Mascherano and Essien >>>> De Rossi

No question about that.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
He wouldn't start in Chelsea.

Essien > Makelele >>>> De Rossi

oh wow. Well thanks for proving De Rossi isn't world class by listing the one team in which he probably wouldn't start in (he could potentially start anyway. You don't know. Eventually he would overtake Ballasack anyway)

and Makelele's current form is not better than De Rossi. Stop talking non sense.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
no he's not over-rated, he is a solid performer and has been a major driving force in Roma's midfield but that's my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
Word. I'm not saying he's a weak player. De Rossi is a great player but I don't know if I would consider him world class when I look at a player such as Essien in his position.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
oh wow. Well thanks for proving De Rossi isn't world class by listing the one team in which he probably wouldn't start in (he could potentially start anyway. You don't know. Eventually he would overtake Ballasack anyway)

and Makelele's current form is not better than De Rossi. Stop talking non sense.
Nonsense is one word and Makelele has been a world class player for years.

PS - Good job being wrong with your "would start in any team" stuff. Easy win for me.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
Word. I'm not saying he's a weak player. De Rossi is a great player but I don't know if I would consider him world class when I look at a player such as Essien in his position.
if you compare the de rossi of 2 years ago to the one of today, he has improved leaps and bounds, you can't say he hasn't become world class, just look at his performance against madrid in the 2nd leg of the C.L.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
if you compare the de rossi of 2 years ago to the one of today, he has improved leaps and bounds, you can't say he hasn't become world class, just look at his performance against madrid in the 2nd leg of the C.L.
Perhaps he is world class, but I can't say he is or not.

But what I do know is he has been overrated considering some think he's better than Essien.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Well I think you're wrong. We'll have to disagree.

Mascherano and Essien >>>> De Rossi

No question about that.
What does this have to do with anything? Your grasping at straws by listing other players. So what Essien being better than De Rossi makes De Rossi suddenly not a world class player?

Xabi is leaving pool. And De Rossi would start along Mascherano and Gerrard.

Real Madrid yes, Inter yes, Manure perhaps no because Carrick is needed in their system and their manager loves Paul Scholes.
He would start ahead of Carrick. De Rossi does defensively what Carrick does and contributes better going forward.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What does this have to do with anything? Your grasping at straws by listing other players. So what Essien being better than De Rossi makes De Rossi suddenly not a world class player?

Xabi is leaving pool. And De Rossi would start along Mascherano and Gerrard.
"Along side Mascherano and Gerrard." Well you don't know that because Benitez will have to give Gerrard a central role once he losses the passing game of Xabi Alonso.

He would start ahead of Carrick. De Rossi does defensively what Carrick does and contributes better going forward.
Carrick is the better passer.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
Perhaps he is world class, but I can't say he is or not.

But what I do know is he has been overrated considering some think he's better than Essien.
the thing is how can you accurately define a world class player?
It differs for every player seeing as though they are all different in traits Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)