Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #1,082
    heres the call ups

Roberto Donadoni has dropped Alessandro Del Piero and Pippo Inzaghi for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Georgia and friendly with South Africa.

The Juventus star had warned after a disappointing performance on the wing with France that he would only play for Italy in his preferred position or not at all.

It seems Donadoni has taken him at his word, refusing to pick Del Piero for these games.

Instead he has given Fiorentina’s Under-21 star Riccardo Montolivo his first senior call-up to the Nazionale.

Lazio’s Stefano Mauri and Daniele Bonera of Milan also return to the set-up, but captain Fabio Cannavaro is suspended.

Marco Materazzi, Gianluca Zambrotta, Mauro Camoranesi, Alberto Aquilani and Roma’s Simone Perrotta – who pulled up today during the 3-0 win at Parma – are out injured.

The Azzurri will take on Georgia on October 13 at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris in Genoa and bid to stay in the top two qualifying spots.

Donadoni’s side then have a rest round in Group B, so they welcome South Africa to Siena’s Stadio Franchi Montepaschi Arena for a friendly match on October 17.

Over this period in Group B leaders Scotland face Ukraine at home and Georgia away, while France travel to the Faroe Islands and take on Lithuania.

The team will congregate at the Coverciano training ground on Monday and begin training on Tuesday.

Gk: Amelia (Livorno), Buffon (Juventus), Curci (Roma)
    D: Barzagli (Palermo), Bonera (Milan), Chiellini (Juventus), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Grosso (Olympique Lyon), Oddo (Milan), Panucci (Roma).
    M: Ambrosini (Milan), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Mauri (Lazio), Montolivo (Fiorentina), Pirlo (Milan).
    F: Di Natale (Udinese), Foggia (Cagliari), Iaquinta (Juventus), Lucarelli (Shakhtar), Quagliarella (Udinese), Toni (Bayern Monaco).

and another interesting article

Don issues Alex warning
    Friday 28 September, 2007
    Azzurri boss Roberto Donadoni indicates that he won’t be dictated to by Alessandro Del Piero and may turn to young talent against Georgia.

Juventus talisman Del Piero issued the ex-Livorno man with an ultimatum last month when he stressed that he would only play for Italy as a striker, rather than a midfielder.

While the Bianconeri captain is a potentially devastating weapon for the world champions, Donadoni has a wealth of striking options and seems frustrated at Del Piero’s stance.

“Will I choose him as a second striker? I like open dialogue and I won’t discount anyone without due consideration,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“But the more flexible a player is, the more chance he has of playing and the decision is mine to be made calmly.”

Donadoni’s men have struggled a little creatively since the retirement of Roma star Francesco Totti and for the first time the national boss acknowledged his loss.

“Obviously there are regrets,” he admitted. “Francesco is a great player and he would be very important for us.

“With him we would have two definite strikers instead of a man behind and two wingers. He brought a maturity and you felt like he was everywhere.”

Rather than rely on the likes of Del Piero and Cannavaro, Donadoni also stresed that he would like to blood a new generation of talent.

“I’m hoping that younger players will play a bigger role in the squad. Our youngsters are amongst the most promising in the world and we need to exploit them.

"Domenico Criscito needs more experience, but it isn’t easy to be playing regularly for a big side like Juventus at his age. He is still one of the best in his age group.

“I’m watching Giuseppe Rossi with interest and also I’m following Riccardo Montolivo, Alessandro Rosina and Marco Borriello. These players are the future of the Italian national side.”

Italy host Georgia at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris in Genoa on October 13 and must win to keep their hopes of Euro 2008 qualification alive.

I dont understand why he takes crap from totti yet wont listen to DP
    We have alot of players out injured which isnt good but as long as we pick up all three points agaisnt georgia i really dont care how we play agaisnt South africa. I think DP was dropped because of his comments about not wanting to play as a winger yet i have full confidence that he will impress in the Serie A and will be ready for the azzurri's big clash with scotland.How old is borriello because don calls him a young player i thought he was old.
    if i was donadoni i would play this:

--------------------Buffon

Oddo-------Barzagli-----Panucci-------Grosso

------De rossi------Pirlo---------Gattuso

Di natale------------------------------Quagliarella
    ---------------------Toni

I think we need to attack Georgia aggressively and not run the risk of an upset. Panucci and Barzagli should make a tight partnership in the center of defense and grosso-oddo seems the best option on the flanks. We are short on good midfielders currently so a 3 man midfield seems best with usual faces of De rossi, pirlo, and gattuso. I like the idea of an aggresive three man attack with Di natale and quagliarella both excellent options on the flank. Di natale's skill and speed would be a huge boost and quagliarella's fantastic goals would really help us if it is a tight game. Toni and buffon are both obvious choices in their respective positions.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #1,087
    its good to see some of the younger players getting called up because ever since the world cup the senior team really hasnt impressed. Italy has alot of great youth especially in the attacking department and they deserve theyre chance to shine in the full national team. i think the Don should have called up more young players and let them play the match against south Africa as a test.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    I'd start:

--------------------buffon------------------

---oddo----barzagli----chiellni---grosso--

---------------------pirlo--------------------
    -----------gattuso--------de rossi----------

-----quag's--------------------Di natale----
    --------------------Toni-----------------------

Sarah

s-doLLa
    Sep 26, 2007
    I've been counting down for the call ups I had my sister call me at work once they were announced. I am so happy to hear Gattuso is back and he definitely has been doing so well on the national team. He holds a special place in my heart. I am a little bit sad that Canna won't be playing these games but, I guess it gives someone else the chance but it will be rough without him.
    Oh I am so excited Montolivo got called up but, I don't think he is better than Aquilani though. Because Aquilani is well 'King Alberto' :D
    I love Euro 2008 and I can't even hide my excitement for it! This what I live for. I am definitely on Cloud 9.

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
    Jun 2, 2007
    my 11 would be:

---oddo----barzagli----chiellini---grosso--

-----vinnie--------------------di natale----
    --------------------toni-----------------------

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #1,092
    my 11 would be:

---oddo----barzagli----chiellini---grosso--

-----vinnie--------------------di natale----
    --------------------toni-----------------------
    who is vinnie?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    Damn, I'm having such a big dilemma with Donadoni's Azzurri:
    I mean I'm an Italy fan for life, but at the same time I want Donadoni out ASAP, but then again there are my boys - like Gigi, Ale, Camo, Chio etc. and it'd blow watching EURO2008 without them...

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
    Sep 12, 2006
    Barzagli - Get this man to Juve in Jan (Grygera, Andrade, Barzagli, Chiellini, with Molinaro & Criscito on bench, quality backline.
    Bonera - Why? Think I might have played more Serie A football this season. ;)
    Chiellini - in line to start, & rightly so.
    Mauri & Montolivo - both ok, surely Aquilani better? would liked to have seen Nocerino given a call, looks ready
    Di Natale - did he play yesterday? Will he be up to it this week, after such a terrible loss?
    Quagliarella - surely if Ale is left out on form then the same should apply?
    Lucarelli - think he seems to be playing well for Shakhtar & its nice to see, along with Foggia that some unfashionable players get a look in
    Toni - please Luca, show us your Bayern form & fire us to glory

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Barzagli - Get this man to Juve in Jan (Grygera, Andrade, Barzagli, Chiellini, with Molinaro & Criscito on bench, quality backline.
    Bonera - Why? Think I might have played more Serie A football this season. ;)Chiellini - in line to start, & rightly so.
    [b]Mauri[/b] & Montolivo - both ok, surely Aquilani better? would liked to have seen Nocerino given a call, looks ready
    Di Natale - did he play yesterday? Will he be up to it this week, after such a terrible loss?
    Quagliarella - surely if Ale is left out on form then the same should apply?
    Lucarelli - think he seems to be playing well for Shakhtar & its nice to see, along with Foggia that some unfashionable players get a look in
    Toni - please Luca, show us your Bayern form & fire us to glory
    Why oh why oh why would anyone call up Bonera to the national team?

Everytime they make an ex-Milan man, manager, he just becomes so biased towards his former club, surely Milan are not having a good season and Bonera is not a good player at all.

If that was bad then Mauri is worse, I have watched this guy trying to fathom why people talk about him and I have not seen an ounce of ability where he is concerned.

Quagliarella has been abysmal this season, si if you are gonna drop DP (totally fair) and Inzaghi (slightly unfair) then why is Quagliarella in the squad. I have not seen that many Udinese games this season, but I am sure he has not made too many attempts on goal this season.

Guiseppe Rossi and Rosina would have been better options especially for the friendly

Sep 19, 2006
    Dp dropping was so predictable.
    I hope to see this:
    ...........................................Buffon

Oddo................Barzaglie.....................Chiellini..................Panucci

...........................................Pirlo........................................
    ................Gattuso...............Ambrossini................De Rossi

............................Di Natale
    ..................................................Toni

Forza Luca.

Hey off topic:is Tiago called up for Portugal??
    At first I heard that he isnt but I think he is.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    What does Zanetti have to do to finally get called up?
    He did deserve a call. He is our most consistent and maybe even our best player so far.
    But i do understand Donadoni. Gattuso will always be first choice and De Rossi, considering his youth, his wc tittle and his solid performances will be prefered before the others.
    In qualifying matches, when only 7 players sit on the bench and one of them is goalkeeper, it will be stupid to have 4 DM's in the team.
    Since Gattuso and De Rossi have a guaranteed spot in the team, only one more DM can make it . Donadoni chose Amrosini and we can't say the Milan man didn't deserve the call. He's in form of his life for a while now. He plays perfect defense and, with 2 goals, 2 assists and 2 penalties over him so far this season, he helps in attack.

But if Italians qualify for EC they will need one more DM and if Zanetti keeps the form then it will be a crime not to call him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)