Nicolò Fagioli (80 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
Im reading Allegri’s book, and already in the fourth chapter he talks about Fagioli.

The chapter is about his rule that he doesn’t want ‘headless chickens’ on the field. He talks about individual freedom on the field, that you shouldn’t make clones out of footballers and that you always have to give impulses at the creative side of the players.

I’ll try to literally translate the part about Fagioli:
“When you talk about sport, I often hear the term teamsport, but if four out of the ten players give bad passes, because nobody learned how to do it differently, everyone would be angry with the manager and say it’s his mistake. That why we should train individual technique and individual tactics. When we teach kids the basic principles, how to think for themself and how to play separately, it easier to fit them in a team. Therefore, why lock them in certain schedules. Usually I don’t say names, but in this case I will. Boys like Fagioli and some other of the Juventus Primavera and U23 already have a good foundation and understand the game. It would be contraproductieve to limit them with certain schedules and patterns.”

Jun 7, 2003
New mngmnt, same strategy, more young and Italian midfielders...
Buy them, loan them out till their contract expires, then buy new ones!
What do you think about Locatelli?

- - - Updated - - -

Same reason why pirlo was so insistent on playing bernadeschi
Trying to seem as a genius, a lot of coaches have this kind of mentalitiy. Pekerman for example with Argentina 2006, taking out Riquelme not bringing Messi against Germany

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
It's still very unclear to me why Pirlo didn't play him more often
remember in the beginning of the season when he would give starts to younger players like Frabotta and even Portanova? I think as the season went on and the pressure to win mounted he got gun shy, picked his 10-12 man rotation, and just stuck with it no matter the results. Essentially he was a pussy. Correia should’ve benched Berna as well.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
remember in the beginning of the season when he would give starts to younger players like Frabotta and even Portanova? I think as the season went on and the pressure to win mounted he got gun shy, picked his 10-12 man rotation, and just stuck with it no matter the results. Essentially he was a pussy. Correia should’ve benched Berna as well.
Exactly what most coaches would have done tbh. He tried it when there was less pressure, time to catch up, that didn't materialise, so he went with experienced players.

Fagioli could have played more but ideas of our U23 players being used a lot when the team was struggling to make the CL are just fantasy.

He didn't use 10-12 players either, it was 21 players with basically every fixture a different lineup, plus a very sporadic use of kids. Juve have a big squad of international players so it's not a big surprise.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
maybe that’s why the job is a revolving door. Look at the managers that actually give opportunities to young players with no experience. They’re the best ones.
whose job? coach? players? youth players?

- - - Updated - - -

oh you edited your original post nevermind :grin:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
maybe that’s why the job is a revolving door for most. Look at the managers that actually give opportunities to young players with no experience; Klopp, for example. They’re the best ones.
If we developed the same youth players of other teams or paid enough for them we would play them too. Like we have done with De Ligt or Kulusevski. It's easier to bench a kid than someone you paid €40m+ for or who has 30 international caps. It also depends on what is available to a coach. Those players played more because of injuries for us. Klopp used more this season simply because he had to, same as Lampard last season, etc.

Having said that, Italy doesn't seem to be a league where they randomly throw as many young players in at big teams. But there are tactical reasons for this. All young players can play off their natural skill or athleticism, but only really good ones can understand systems quickly. For example take what an experienced international like Rabiot says about the league. That's not saying the league is better than others, it's just the culture.

Jun 16, 2020
If we developed the same youth players of other teams or paid enough for them we would play them too. Like we have done with De Ligt or Kulusevski. It's easier to bench a kid than someone you paid €40m+ for or who has 30 international caps. It also depends on what is available to a coach. Those players played more because of injuries for us. Klopp used more this season simply because he had to, same as Lampard last season, etc.

Having said that, Italy doesn't seem to be a league where they randomly throw as many young players in at big teams. But there are tactical reasons for this. All young players can play off their natural skill or athleticism, but only really good ones can understand systems quickly. For example take what an experienced international like Rabiot says about the league. That's not saying the league is better than others, it's just the culture.
It’s a cultural thing indeed. And if there’s one thing hard to change, its the way of thinking in a club or perhaps country in this case.

Still tho I think that big clubs in Italy are forced to change this. Financial advantages are to big, competing with sheiks and no more Berlusconi or Moratti who spent with their eyes closed.

Its difficult matter.

Nejc

May 13, 2006
Im reading Allegri’s book, and already in the fourth chapter he talks about Fagioli.

The chapter is about his rule that he doesn’t want ‘headless chickens’ on the field. He talks about individual freedom on the field, that you shouldn’t make clones out of footballers and that you always have to give impulses at the creative side of the players.

I’ll try to literally translate the part about Fagioli:
“When you talk about sport, I often hear the term teamsport, but if four out of the ten players give bad passes, because nobody learned how to do it differently, everyone would be angry with the manager and say it’s his mistake. That why we should train individual technique and individual tactics. When we teach kids the basic principles, how to think for themself and how to play separately, it easier to fit them in a team. Therefore, why lock them in certain schedules. Usually I don’t say names, but in this case I will. Boys like Fagioli and some other of the Juventus Primavera and U23 already have a good foundation and understand the game. It would be contraproductieve to limit them with certain schedules and patterns.”
I remember some interview where Allegri criticized Italian youth systems and their coaches for being “tactical tyrants” instead of letting young players play their game. Explains the different type of players that Italy seems to produce compared to lets say Spain or France.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 54)