Nick Against the World (71 Viewers)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
"I came into this forum and claimed that Buffon wasn't fit to clean Edwin Van der Sar's boots"

This arguement is what we call res judicata. Look it up in a legal dictionary.
I am familiar with the term (it's been a while since law school), but I'm not sure what is has to do with my statement...

Jul 12, 2002
"Confusion in the Box" or "Confusion in the area" (Confusione nell'area)

This was the official statement released by the ref of the infamous Juve-Parma game in 2000. To this day this penalty was never called or heard of again. More over, when officials were asked to explain how "Confusion in the Box" occurs they could not answer because it was the first time in Serie A history it was ever called.
Basically, it doesn't exist in the rules.

I'm sure as PROUD Juventini you all remember the infamous game against Parma a few years back and how referee De Sanctis inexplicably disallowed Cannavaro's late goal. Had Parma been allowed the goal they would have made the cut for CL the following season. In the end, God proved he did exist and Juve failed to deliver and lost the Scudetto the following week.
Actually, I'm not really ashamed to admit that I don't remember that specific game. Could you please give a more detailed description?

Todays JUVE fact of the day brought to you by INCUBO...Your under-appreciated, love to hate, often attacked but NEVER defeated and BITTER JEALOUS GREEN WITH ENVY Milanista. Still looking for the clones out there...for those of you with the ever too clever "Milan had the most PK last season" generic Juventino reply Incubo would like to remind you that Milan was also the most impressive attacking squad out there last season (see Group of Death Outcome, Ajax games and CL Final for further information) and also be more creative.
For tips on debating 101, formulating arguements or presenting evidence contact Rickenbacker2.

COMING SOON: IncuboRossonero's AVATAR .... will this be the end of the pimp-in-the-box?
:LOL: it's so funny how you are yur own "Don King!" :LOL:

OP
IncuboRossonero

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #64
    "Actually, I'm not really ashamed to admit that I don't remember that specific game. Could you please give a more detailed description?"

Rickenbacker....just like the other games...the Inter scandal: Ronaldo's disallowed goal in 98 denying Inter the scudetto and the other memorable incidents that year. The Zambrotta dive against Bologna. The Trez. elbow into Simic's face. Sheva's apparently offside goal even though Tacchinardi was clearing the ball....o-hum.
    Take your pick: the issue remains the same: the judgements or lack of by officials are inexplicable. Then again with La Vecchia Signora...many things are.

OP
    IncuboRossonero

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #65
    Oh and about Van Der Sar...Res Judicata: Issue already decided. Choose Jugee. I.E. Where once upon a time it was true... I think that issue has been decided...with time.

Jul 12, 2002
    "Actually, I'm not really ashamed to admit that I don't remember that specific game. Could you please give a more detailed description?"

Rickenbacker....just like the other games...the Inter scandal: Ronaldo's disallowed goal in 98 denying Inter the scudetto and the other memorable incidents that year. The Zambrotta dive against Bologna. The Trez. elbow into Simic's face. Sheva's apparently offside goal even though Tacchinardi was clearing the ball....o-hum.
    Take your pick: the issue remains the same: the judgements or lack of by officials are inexplicable. Then again with La Vecchia Signora...many things are.
    Alright, so you're saying that Juve have an influence over the referee's. Makes you wonder why Milan didn't think to do that...

Jul 12, 2002
    Oh and about Van Der Sar...Res Judicata: Issue already decided. Choose Jugee. I.E. Where once upon a time it was true... I think that issue has been decided...with time.
    Well, I'm not so sure about that. Buffon, is after all younger than Edwin, so you can't really compare them in the same timeline, you'd have to compare them at similar points in their career. Add to that the fact that Edwin went to what was a second rate team and got injured, and it is less clear that Buffon wins. But, I'm not so zealous a fan as to think that Buffon is not currently better than Edwin. I still maintain, however, that at the time Edwin was sold, it would have been a better move to keep him and develope the talent of Carini. It would have been more cost effective and would not have wasted the talent of Carini. Also, I think it'd be hard to deny that Edwin's sale wasn't motivated at some level by Juve's famous ultra-nationalism, he was the first non-italian keeper in the history of the team.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    Here we go with the nationalism thing again. And I agree with you Ian, you cant compare Buffon and VDS by age, but you can by the similar points in their careers. So, if we were we'd compare Buffons peak and VDS' peak, and we'd find that Buffon's peak came at a younger age than Van der Saar's, therefore I conclude that Buffon is a better keeper (I'm taking Buffon's peak as the last season and VDS' as his second Juve season, because he sucked big tim in his last one - he was with Juve for 3 years, right?). Also, I think it was an excellent decision to sell him as hisblunders granted Roma the title (especially in the direct clash vs Roma and Nakata's brace). He lost confidence in himself and the club lost confidence in him. You can lose confidence in any player but the keeper. When you can no longer trust and believe in him it's time for him to pack his bags.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
    Here we go with the nationalism thing again. And I agree with you Ian, you cant compare Buffon and VDS by age, but you can by the similar points in their careers. So, if we were we'd compare Buffons peak and VDS' peak, and we'd find that Buffon's peak came at a younger age than Van der Saar's, therefore I conclude that Buffon is a better keeper (I'm taking Buffon's peak as the last season and VDS' as his second Juve season, because he sucked big tim in his last one - he was with Juve for 3 years, right?). Also, I think it was an excellent decision to sell him as hisblunders granted Roma the title (especially in the direct clash vs Roma and Nakata's brace). He lost confidence in himself and the club lost confidence in him. You can lose confidence in any player but the keeper. When you can no longer trust and believe in him it's time for him to pack his bags.
    You've yet to provide evidence suggesting that his sale was not motivated by nationalist beliefs. Also, If Buffon peaked last year, then that is sad, because he is still so young. It's not who peaks first, it's who is better at their peak. IMO, Edwin's peak was his last year at Ajax. I don't think that Buffon has reached his peak yet, but if he has, then he is certainly the worse keeper of the two.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    OK, maybe last season wasnt Buffons peak, but lets say it was, for the sake of argument as we cant predict what will happen in the future.

Are you really saying that Van der Saar's last year at Ajax was better than Buffon's last season? Buffon as fantastic in the last season, he didnt win the UEFA award for nothing, he was instrumental in both Seria A and especially in the CL, with some great saves against Barcelona, Real, and Milan, not to mentio the games before, like a fabulous save on Makaay against Depor...

Also, I havent seen you prove that his sale was due to nationalism ;)

I think you're kinda subjective in this matter, kinda like me and Salihamidzic ;)

Jul 12, 2002
    OK, maybe last season wasnt Buffons peak, but lets say it was, for the sake of argument as we cant predict what will happen in the future.

Are you really saying that Van der Saar's last year at Ajax was better than Buffon's last season? Buffon as fantastic in the last season, he didnt win the UEFA award for nothing, he was instrumental in both Seria A and especially in the CL, with some great saves against Barcelona, Real, and Milan, not to mentio the games before, like a fabulous save on Makaay against Depor...
    Brilliant saves aren't the only way to judge a goalkeeper, and by the way, before Edwin came to Juve, he was considered one of the world's premier shot stoppers.

Also, I havent seen you prove that his sale was due to nationalism ;)
    Prove it? That would be very difficult if not impossible, but I ahve somevidence to back up my argument, I have seen no evidence to the contrary.

I think you're kinda subjective in this matter, kinda like me and Salihamidzic ;)
    Kinda subjective? I'm really subjective, so what? You're subjective too, you prefer Buffon. Maybe Buffon isn't your favourite player, at your favourite position for your favourite national team, and used to be on your favourite club team, but you're not completely objective.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    OK, maybe I should have said biased ;)

Also, how do you judge a goalkeeper except by his saves? By how many goals he scores? Then Butt and Chilavert would be the worlds best ;)

Jul 12, 2002
    OK, maybe I should have said biased ;)

Also, how do you judge a goalkeeper except by his saves? By how many goals he scores? Then Butt and Chilavert would be the worlds best ;)
    Butt is a very good keeper, and for a couple of months, Chilavert was the best keepr in the world. Those two keepers are among my favourites, because they do great credit ot the art of goalkeeping and they, like me take the offensive duties of the keeper very seriously.

But, you can also judge a keeper by his ability to organise a defence, by his ability to distribute, by his play on high-balls, by his foot skills, or by his ability coming off the line. You can also rate a keeper by his shot stopping ability, but that is by no means the only aspect to good goalkeeping.

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    why Buffon is the Best (at the moment) is that no goalkeeper has the feel for positioning he has. Most of his saves, sometimes, seem too easy, for a simple reason that he feels (knows) where the ball is going.

VDS (or anyone else in last several years) doesnt come close to Buffon in this respect.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
    But, you can also judge a keeper by his ability to organise a defence, by his ability to distribute, by his play on high-balls, by his foot skills, or by his ability coming off the line. You can also rate a keeper by his shot stopping ability, but that is by no means the only aspect to good goalkeeping.
    You know I was watching Spain - Norway on Saturday and I realized how crippling it is when a keeper can't distribute the ball. Dunno if you know Johnsen but I don't think much of his distribution skills and today he really blew it.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    I beg to differ my friend. I do think that what a good keeper shoud have is good shot stopping ability, good reflexes, good handling and good at crosses and good at rushing out. IMO his foot skills (if we mean control, dribbling, and anything else but what he needs to make a good save), or organizing a defense, or by their ability to distribute the ball. It's not a keepers job to distribute the ball or to start the defence, his only job should be not conceding goals. Anything else is a bonus, but in no means neccessety.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    If good distribution is a bonus, then it's pretty much like saying it's also a criterion for assessment. If a keeper like Schmeichel has great distribution ability, then a keeper who is just as good but lacks that quality will obviously be not as good.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    Right, but VDS was not as good as Buffon at shot stopping and didnt have the same reflexes, so as they are not tied there is no need to bring the bonuses into the equation ;)

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by *aca* ] ++
    why Buffon is the Best (at the moment) is that no goalkeeper has the feel for positioning he has. Most of his saves, sometimes, seem too easy, for a simple reason that he feels (knows) where the ball is going.

VDS (or anyone else in last several years) doesnt come close to Buffon in this respect.
    Actually, VDS had very good position at one, point and Buffon doesn't have a great grip on his angles. He actually makes mistakes often, but his quickness and athleticism make up for it. Also, hIker Cassillas of Real Madrid has much better positioning, the ball is always shot right at him...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 70)