News that makes you say WTF! (19 Viewers)

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Insane & horrible.

Thing is though, the facilities there simply aren't made out for the millions of pilgrims going there every year. It's obviously an extremely difficult and sensitive topic, but people should really look into what could be changed within the religious guidelines.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Hasn't the Saudi government already tried to improve their infrastructure to try to accommodate them? How did this even start? My friend said it was all because two people walked in the wrong direction or something.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Since 2006 or so they have vastly improved the infrastructure to handle such huge number of people. But then again because of the sheer volume of people, it only takes a something as simple as a person tripping and another trying to help him/her up for all hell to break loose.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
icemaη;5107465 said:
Since 2006 or so they have vastly improved the infrastructure to handle such huge number of people. But then again because of the sheer volume of people, it only takes a something as simple as a person tripping and another trying to help him/her up for all hell to break loose.
Something I noticed in the papers in India when I am there: it's rare to have a religious festival where hundreds gather and someone doesn't get hurt or killed. I don't mean this to slight India per se, but rather to point out the common human perils of large groups of people congregating and the lack of awareness of how stampedes can be better influenced, but they are ultimately not preventable 100%.

One of the smarter things I saw recently was that some Indian religious festival by a river prohibited selfies there. The logic was they expected a potential stampede of people backing up to access the river because people would stop to take photos of themselves at the riverbanks, resulting in a similar type of tragedy.

It is sad. And it goes to this notion of how f'ed up people can get with ideology. The life of a cow is worth more than they life of your brother. That a different value or idea is worth more than the life of your brother (thinking more Bangladesh here).

Sorry, but that ain't WTF anymore. 45th school shooting of 2015. That's another day at the office in America. Sensationalism fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)