News that makes you say WTF! (70 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I totally can and am.

Like I said, I'm against it in principal. I don't think that it should be part of the criminal justice system of a first world nation, yet in practice, seeing this fool get the death penalty, I'm glad.
Then you're not really against the death penalty, you're just confused. If you believe some crimes are so heinous they warrant the death penalty, then you arent really against the death penalty at all, thats what us death penalty peopoonents believe:p

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. It might be hypocritical but i dont think what im saying is that confusing.

I don't think we should have the death penalty in law...but that doesnt mean that some people don't still really deserve it.
Kyle seriously man, read you're fucking posts again. :lol:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
True but it means nothing if it's not considered in law. Personally, I see no difference between death penalty and life sentence, whichever is lest costly should be exercised (seems, rather counter intuitively, that death penalty is more costly in the US [definitely not in Iran, for example] so I'd be siding with life sentence). What I don't get at all is human rights arguments against death penalty regardless of the crime and criminal. The "only" argument that I can sympathize with is the fact that human judgment is never hundred percent flawless and death penalty is irreversible.
why not?

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Then you're not really against the death penalty, you're just confused. If you believe some crimes are so heinous they warrant the death penalty, then you arent really against the death penalty at all, thats what us death penalty peopoonents believe:p

- - - Updated - - -
I am. I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I am. I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand
because it doesn't make sense, Kyle

if you're against, this is the time to be against. if you're not against in this case then you're not against

it's like people who are pro free speech as long as they can decide what the speech is

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
i'm not really strongly opposed to the death penalty i just don't think it should be law.

It's inefficient, costly, not really a deterrent and kind of out of place in the 21st century. That doesn't mean I have sympathy for those who receive it tho.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
i'm not really strongly opposed to the death penalty i just don't think it should be law.

It's inefficient, costly, not really a deterrent and kind of out of place in the 21st century. That doesn't mean I have sympathy for those who receive it tho.
okay, that's a different rationale then

it's a pragmatic argument not an idealist one

we very much live in the age of pragmatism - most decisions are made based on what's profitable and not or what works and not

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Why do they have to wait so much? I read somewhere that earliest they have executed a criminal was 4 years after his conviction.
There are an incredible number of false convictions. And while that's a massive problem when the sentence is "just" jail, it becomes unsupportable in the case of the death sentence.

Which is perhaps the most crucial argument against the death sentence as it is carried out in many countries, including the US, judgement is virtually never infallible. And while you can somehow compensate people for wrongful imprisonment, death is death.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems rather despotic and not helpful in the situation at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I totally can and am.

Like I said, I'm against it in principal. I don't think that it should be part of the criminal justice system of a first world nation, yet in practice, seeing this fool get the death penalty, I'm glad.
It's basically your rational vs. your emotional judgement.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Ok so you dont think its pragmatic, you're not against it in principle though, that much is obvious. You obviously believe some crimes warrant the death penalty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)