Neven Subotić (2 Viewers)

pierrelb

May 9, 2008
Khedira and Tasci? german players, i think with turkish ancestory. one is a defender (RB i think), the other a defensive mid. i doubt juve signed them, cuz more sports new groups would have been all over that and they wouldn't be cheap.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
He was born in Yugoslavia and lived here until he was 6. Then from the age of 6 tillthe age of 11 he lived in Germany and from the age of 11 till the age of 18 he lived in the USA. In the last 2 years he again lives in Germany.
He lived 6 years in Yugoslavia, 7 in USA and 7 in Germany.

I don't see why would Andy be mad that Subotic didn't choose the US.
It's because he's played for the U-16 team and U-20 team, and chooses Serbia to play for National Team. It's basically our coach's fault for not capping him last summer.

You don't understand how Americans view nationality. We see nationality a lot differently than Europeans do. We're a mixing pot, so there really is no "true" American and a lot of us are eligible for dual nationality, but view our identity as American. Take for example your recent explanation of the Croats born in Bosnia, yet playing for Croatia NT, from our viewpoint that would make them Bosnian. Same thing with Subotic, even though he's born in Yugoslavia and lived in Germany.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
You don't understand how Americans view nationality.
Nah, i believe that i understand. I also think that Subotic could have played for USA even though he wasn't born there and he spent 2/3 of his life outside the USA. But the boy was eligible to play for 3 countries imo and he had to choose one. If he chose the US then the Serbs and the Germans would've had just as much right to be angry. In every case 2 of these 3 countries were going to be disappointed.

At the end it was up to him and how he feels primarly, like a Serb, like an American or like a German. Now he's not a 16 years old kid anymore and he can make his own decisions. His decision was Serbia.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Nah, i believe that i understand. I also think that Subotic could have played for USA even though he wasn't born there and he spent 2/3 of his life outside the USA. But the boy was eligible to play for 3 countries imo and he had to choose one. If he chose the US then the Serbs and the Germans would've had just as much right to be angry. In every case 2 of these 3 countries were going to be disappointed.

At the end it was up to him and how he feels primarly, like a Serb, like an American or like a German. Now he's not a 16 years old kid anymore and he can make his own decisions. His decision was Serbia.
I was just trying the explain the mindset from our side. But I understand the thought process behind the decision. It's really quite obvious. It just stinks that he was playing for US youth teams as he would have been a massive boost to the squad. Without that experience, his decision would be much easier to swallow. Also, I've read that he was also eligible to play for Bosnia.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Good points. On the flip side I think his size would also be of use to us as well since Serie A is a more physical game. It might not be as fast as Spain or EPL but it is more physical IMO. Everyone seems to worry about Criscito's size affecting his defensive play (which I am not really one of those) BUT, if you look at Chiellini and how often his size works to his advantage in times such as 1v1s or crosses I think a partner for him in the middle of equal physique (or close) would be splendid. Especially with the general weakness in defensive capabilities of our outside backs, teams like to try and attack us on the wings rather than try and out muscle Chiellini, Poulsen, Marchisio or Sissoko in the middle. So unless we strengthen our RB area IMO someone of a generally large physique would be more reassurance for our CBs to partner Chiellini in the middle.
I also agree but in our case, we already have this huge on partner on the viking Mellberg and we prefer the National team Legro instead, because he is Italian, a good Christian, loyal, cheap etc and therefore we want to support his chances of representing the Italian NT in Africa! The presence of those means that a 3th Cb would get minimal chances if he cant offer what their proven experience and teamwork may offer right away.
The only reason a less exp player would get some chances, is a very talented young defender who would offer the same if not better performances as they can offer and a far better perspective for the future.
The task for this new defender at this very moment is very demanding, due to our depth and subber standards. We have already made a big investment on Criscito's half and we are likely to take our chances with him first.
I dont see a place for a 3rd CB as Subotic's atm. But if Criscito fails again, then we will buy someone like him!
And i also agree that our fullbacks are a priority, the RB should be fixed asap because we cannot spend one more year with Grygera as a starter and Zebina has lost his last chance this year...

cunninlynguists

Amsterdam Ambassador
May 7, 2006
Kid chose Serbia and no need to discuss why and how.
He was born there, lived there some years and probably always kept talking his native language wherever he went.

I remember him being liked to us earlier this year. Haven't watched any of his matches lately but he was impressive in the beginning of this season

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Kid chose Serbia and no need to discuss why and how.
He was born there, lived there some years and probably always kept talking his native language wherever he went.

I remember him being liked to us earlier this year. Haven't watched any of his matches lately but he was impressive in the beginning of this season
:lol:

Apr 16, 2008
Secco should focus on bringing Criscito back this summer to offer support for Chiellini and Legrottaglie. Mellberg may continue as a reserve. Knezevic will leave when the loan deal expires, and Andrade probably will never play a big part in the club.

In the Primavera there are some exciting talent, and bringing in this young defender from Bundesliga would only halter the progress of guys like Criscito and Ariaudo.

Ofcourse, Subotic is good, but he has yet to prove himself over time and in the Italian way of football.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
That's because he was born in Republika Srpska, which is still officially part of Bosnia and Herzegovina (and will stay that way - goggo) :D
Actually Balzevic called him to our NT, but he refused cuz he wanted to play for Serbia.

So actually he is Serb (which makes him eglible to play for Serbia), born in Bosnia (could play for us) and he spent one third of his life in Germany (I don't know could he play for them) and one third in USA where he learned most of the football and played for their youth categories (so he could play for USA too).

Damn he is too complicatd player for us :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)