Nationality debate (1 Viewer)

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
As for Russian Basketball team, well there is nothing to talk about it, there are four or five, maybe even more cases that players were given citizenship just to play for their national team in the past years without any link to Russia.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
To me, eligibility should be limited to actual citizenship. Either you play where you were born/have original citizenship, or the citizenship of a direct living relative (ie: Parent, Grandparent).

Situations like Amauri, Jonathan De Guzman, Roger Guerreiro or Alessandro dos Santos should not be allowed. Just because you play in a foreign league shouldn't mean should be able to play for that country, even if you acquire their citizenship.

Situations like Balotelli and Mavuba make total sense, and really shouldn't be scrutinized.

Situations like Hargreaves, Adu and Rossi are regrettable, but definitely acceptable. Eiher they have blood ties to their new NT, or they had citizenship before they entered the football world.

Sep 1, 2002
To me, eligibility should be limited to actual citizenship. Either you play where you were born/have original citizenship, or the citizenship of a direct living relative (ie: Parent, Grandparent).

Situations like Amauri, Jonathan De Guzman, Roger Guerreiro or Alessandro dos Santos should not be allowed. Just because you play in a foreign league shouldn't mean should be able to play for that country, even if you acquire their citizenship.

Situations like Balotelli and Mavuba make total sense, and really shouldn't be scrutinized.

Situations like Hargreaves, Adu and Rossi are regrettable, but definitely acceptable. Eiher they have blood ties to their new NT, or they had citizenship before they entered the football world.
Spot on. I like that thinking without blind nationalism.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

:tup:

Though I would possibly draw the line with parents, rather than grandparents.

Jul 10, 2006

That could lead to having two forms of citizenship, one which is good enough to play football for the NT and one which is not.

All citizenship should be considered equal, so Amauri's Italian citizenship should grant him the same opportunities as any other Italian citizen.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
As Martin said, one gets angry only when someone betrays him, but when someone betrays for him, he sees no problem.

I wouldn't want Ibra, Veira not only for this reason. Zambrotta is a different case a bit. And I'm not angry about Canna, and if he manages at least half of his form he had it will be a good transfer for us.

And you can't know the whole reasons behind Cannavaro choices. He didn't went to our rivals as did Zambrotta did he?
So Canna and Thuram are exceptions but the other 3 are not because they went to rivals? They all left while the others stayed behind....

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

Well what would come first then?

1.) where you were born?
2.) where you lived most your developing life?
3.) parents nationality?

Too many loop holes, no happy medium.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
That could lead to having two forms of citizenship, one which is good enough to play football for the NT and one which is not.

All citizenship should be considered equal, so Amauri's Italian citizenship should grant him the same opportunities as any other Italian citizen.
FIFA already picks and chooses about citizenship. If I'm a dual citizen of Canada and the United States, why should I have to choose only one if my citizenship is equal? Maybe Canada needs me more... but lets say there's a new coach, and he's an asshole, and they release me from the team, why can't I continue with the US if they want me?

Players should be encouraged to get dual citizenship especially if they are non-EU to help mitigate any immigration/foreign worker issues. However, that shouldn't entitle you to parachute into a strong NT as a professional.

Perhaps what FIFA should do is require all youth players before they sign their first pro contract to declare their nation out of their allowed options, even if they never get to play for them.

I included grandparents because sometimes there would be cases that the parents are deceased, or something like that.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
Well what would come first then?

1.) where you were born?
2.) where you lived most your developing life?
3.) parents nationality?

Too many loop holes, no happy medium.
Right now, there's no stopping any of those, or #4, playing in foreign league for 3-5 years.

You really can't tighten all the loopholes, but really just get rid of the one where there's the clearest exploitation... parachuting in an established, uncapped player. With most players, they are born and raised in the same country, and their parents have the same ethnicity.

The real losers are places like Canada and the US, since they are heavily immigrant based, and even second generation citizens have clear ties to a foreign nation or nations.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Right now, there's no stopping any of those, or #4, playing in foreign league for 3-5 years.

You really can't tighten all the loopholes, but really just get rid of the one where there's the clearest exploitation... parachuting in an established, uncapped player. With most players, they are born and raised in the same country, and their parents have the same ethnicity.

The real losers are places like Canada and the US, since they are heavily immigrant based, and even second generation citizens have clear ties to a foreign nation or nations.
Absolutely.

May 4, 2004
I was insulted by the criminal post in regards to americans. You were generalizing, I found the example in bad taste and since I am one of what two people that dislike rossi I was thrown in the generalization. I was on this thread all day long trying to stand up to my opinion despite the large consensus against it. Andy came later, I did not run to him but we shared info as its basically he and I that aren't happy about it. Sorry if I misunderstood or over reacted, but I am not the "standard american" people seem to think of on here nor do I wish to be generalized in that way. Sorry.
Okay sorry if you where offended and yes i should not generalize..
I have nothing against amarican as I said, I just dont see how people can say Rossi is american !..

Great article from rossi on his HOME HE CLAIMS IS AMERICA!! There you have it boys and girls, he claims USA as his home, when asked why he left he said because its easier in europe. Piss on that, he took the easy way out. American dream my ass man, he even called America his home, lived in the USA longer than anywhere else, apart from living in england and spain. Yet, I will get criticized for bringing up this again. He said all you need to know, where are you andy? I can't wait for your input!!
A home dosent say what you are.. My home is in Denmark, but that dosent make me Danish.. I also have a home i Kosovo.. That dosent make me Albanian.. My blood does!

You like G. Rossi though. He clearly has no respect for the United States after what he keeps saying in the media. That's very asshole-ish in my opinion.

Podolski didn't celebrate when he scored against Poland.
How can you compere the Podolski thing.. Podolski had a BIG reason NOT to celebrate, the guy is POLISH!.. He just holds an German passport witch does he is able to play for the German NT!.. Like if Rossi had really chosen USA and scored against Italy, im sure he would have done as Podolski, NO celebration after a goal!!..

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
Don't France, England and Germany have large numbers of immigrants as well. I know the Germans have a large Turk population and the French have taken in a lot of North Africans.
Absolutely they do, but not to the extent that the US and Canada do. Canada apparently has the largest yearly immigration rate of any large country. In Canada, only 23% of respondents in the 2006 census declared themselves exclusively Canadian. Another 17% declared themselves something else, and then Canadian. The remaining 60% consider themselves their ethnicity. 23% of Canadians immigrated to Canada in the last 25 years, and something like two-thirds of Canada can trace themselves back to their ethnic origin within two generations and in most cases, be eligible for citizenship to their "home country."

I'm second generation Canadian, I've never lived a day in Italy or Germany, but I could have EU citizenship in no time if I so desired through both those ancestral countries. That's an issue the European countries simply don't have, at least not to that degree.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
How can you compere the Podolski thing.. Podolski had a BIG reason NOT to celebrate, the guy is POLISH!.. He just holds an German passport witch does he is able to play for the German NT!.. Like if Rossi had really chosen USA and scored against Italy, im sure he would have done as Podolski, NO celebration after a goal!!..
But who is American then?
Who shouldn't celebrate if he scores against the USA?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
:shifty:

But Rossi is an American.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
So Canna and Thuram are exceptions but the other 3 are not because they went to rivals? They all left while the others stayed behind....
First of all, we were in an unique situation, and we couldn't keep all of our star players. So some of them were bound to leave, and the board pushed them, some of them had the class to not go to our direct rivals, and even worse to Inter. While I don't care about that in Ibra or Veira situation, because i don't like them and i wouldn't want them here.

You talk as if you know what was behind the scenes, maybe our board pushed Cannavaro out, maybe not, who knows? Fact is he didn't went to our rivals. I would like to add that i don't hate Zambrotta or any other player for that matter, it is just that i wouldn't want them playing here in our team. And in a perfect world we would have signed someoen younger and better than Canna, but it's not perfect is it? And I certainly wont be booing him, and will cheering, because despite of the past events he now is a Juve player.

Anyway, professional football is their job, and they went for the best offer. And it is stupid to think that their judgment should only be based on their alligience to the team they play.

Me not wanting Ibra and Veira has nothing to do with their "betrayal".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)