Nationality debate (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Put it this way. He flipped off Lippi behind his back during a training session when they were in the U.S.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that after training he angrily brushed off anyone who was trying to get an autograph and headed straight to the bus, while Del Piero, Davids, Trezeguet, Zambrotta, Pessotto, and Nedved (what a great guy, by the way. very nice man. spoke to me for a couple of minutes) were MORE THAN HAPPY to oblige with photos and autographs, knowing full well that this might be our only chance to ever see these guys
I know, I saw your story in the other thread.

Anyway, if it had been me maybe I'd feel the same way. But this was in 2003 and Camo has done a lot for us since then, so I'm not gonna castigate him now. And even if he is something of a jackass I wonder if it's a great idea to disown him because after calciopoli we have to make do, we're not swimming in world class players knocking our door down.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I know, I saw your story in the other thread.

Anyway, if it had been me maybe I'd feel the same way. But this was in 2003 and Camo has done a lot for us since then, so I'm not gonna castigate him now. And even if he is something of a jackass I wonder if it's a great idea to disown him because after calciopoli we have to make do, we're not swimming in world class players knocking our door down.
I'm of the belief that I would rather have a good player who is a great human being, than a great player who is a first class asshole.

Which is why, in light of recent situations, you will notice that I am no longer as ardent a supporter of Ibrahimovic as I used to be.

At first I thought he was "colorful", now he's just a douchebag.

Here in the states, its called the "Terrell Owens" effect

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'm of the belief that I would rather have a good player who is a great human being, than a great player who is a first class asshole.

Which is why, in light of recent situations, you will notice that I am no longer as ardent a supporter of Ibrahimovic as I used to be.

You like G. Rossi though. He clearly has no respect for the United States after what he keeps saying in the media. That's very asshole-ish in my opinion.

Podolski didn't celebrate when he scored against Poland.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Well Camo is on his way out anyway. Can't be more than a season or two left, your pain will end.

Ibra.. I never liked him for the same reasons you've mentioned, but I don't really care what he's doing. After he left I was pleased he wasn't our problem anymore, and from there on we could still enjoy the good things, the nice goals, without the baggage.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008

:lol: :tup:

As a fellow 49er fan, there is no player in all of professional sports that I detest as much as this idiot.

He is the very definition of a locker room cancer; Enjoy, Bills fans

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You like G. Rossi though. He clearly has no respect for the United States after what he keeps saying in the media. That's very asshole-ish in my opinion.

Podolski didn't celebrate when he scored against Poland.
How does the fact that it was a dream for him to play for Italy coincide with having no respect for the United States??

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Andy, I really think that you are trying way too hard to dissect every little thing he says and does, for the purpose of trying to justify what you believe to be true. Which you are certainly in your rights to do.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well Camo is on his way out anyway. Can't be more than a season or two left, your pain will end.

Ibra.. I never liked him for the same reasons you've mentioned, but I don't really care what he's doing. After he left I was pleased he wasn't our problem anymore, and from there on we could still enjoy the good things, the nice goals, without the baggage.
I'm just using him as an example.

Which is why Barry Sanders will always be one of my all time favorite NFL players.

When he scored, he simply handed the ball to the referee.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I don't like Ibra too, for the same reasons. But I don't think Camo is first class asshole, he has his downisides about him and his character, but he is far of from Ibra, C.Ronaldo and such. Although your incident doesn't say anything remotely good about him.

Anyway, he won't be here long with us, and i just hope he stays in good shape for that time being, so he could contribute more. I never liked his character, but as i said, I love stuff he does with the ball on the field.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Well, does he ever show respect for the United States?

All I've seen are snide comments that are essentially like giving the finger to US fans.

Not that it matters, though. But IMO, he's an asshole.
You want him to thank the American people, the President and run around the field with an American flag after he scores a goal? I think you're taking this too far man. Just let it go.. You're not gonna change anything about it, why keep getting so worked up.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
“I am happy for the result and for the double,” Rossi said after the game. “I dedicate my goals to my family who are watching the game on TV in America."

"Soccer will never be big in America."

Yeah, with douchebags like you perhaps it won't be.

Jul 10, 2006
Rossi's gamble starts to pay off in South Africa
Associated Press
Updated: June 16, 2009, 10:53 AM EDT

IRENE, South Africa (AP) - Giuseppe Rossi's gamble is starting to pay off.

Four years ago, then-United States coach Bruce Arena offered the talented New Jersey-born striker a chance to play at the 2006 World Cup. Most teenagers would have jumped at the opportunity.

Not Rossi.

Born to Italian immigrants, Rossi always had his eyes set on playing for the national team of his parents and ancestors.

"It was tough to say no to an offer like that, especially when you're only 18 and they're offering you a chance to play in the World Cup," Rossi said Tuesday, a day after coming off the bench and scoring two goals for Italy in a 3-1 win over the 10-man United States.

"But ever since I was little I watched this team and it was my dream to play for Italy. Thank God it's all working out."

Rossi was born in Teaneck and grew up in Clifton, New Jersey. He left the United States 10 years ago to join Parma's youth system.

"The move was very, very tough for my family, my mom, my sister. I was only 12," Rossi said. "It was a big step for me to go to Italy, but I needed to in order to develop as a player. The soccer in Italy is the best in the world. I grew tremendously in those five years."

When he was 18, Rossi received an offer to move to Manchester United.

"The three years I spent with United was the first time I played with the first team and great players," Rossi said, alternating with ease between Italian and English. "It was a great learning experience for me."

After a stint at Newcastle, and then back to Parma, Rossi has become a standout with Villarreal in Spain, and he led all scorers at the Beijing Olympics with four goals with Italy's under-23 team.

Despite all his travels, Rossi still has deep ties to the United States, and he speaks English more naturally than Italian.

"For me, the U.S. is home," he said. "I was born there and I have my family there, but when I lived in Italy for five or six years I grew as a man and a player, so Italy is a big part of me, too."

After his opening goal Monday, Rossi's celebration was a linguistic mixture that mirrored his career.

"I was thinking in Italian but then a 'Vamos' came out and then a 'Let's Go,"' Rossi said, laughing about it. "I don't know what happened."

Yet Rossi knows exactly how he scored, blasting in a shot from 30 meters (yards) on his first touch of the game and living up to his nickname of "Joe Cool" from the Italian media.

"That's part of my nature," he said, smiling as he grew accustomed to the media spotlight. "When I go out onto the field I do what's needed for the team. The ball was there and I took it and got a shot off."

Rossi's second goal came late in injury time, following a set up from Andrea Pirlo, boosting his tally to three goals in just six appearances for the Azzurri. His national team debut came in October, and his first goal earlier this month in a friendly against Northern Ireland.

"He already had unbelievable talent when we played together on the under-21 team," midfielder Riccardo Montolivo said. "You could tell he had something extra. He really plays at a high level."

Italians look at Rossi's choice to work his way up through Italy's system, when he could have been the scorer the United States has sought for years, as an instance of his American audacity.

"That is part of my mentality," Rossi said. "When I want something I try to achieve it. For now, things are going well, but I don't want it to end here. I always want more."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9688898/Rossi's-gamble-starts-to-pay-off-in-South-Africa

Sorry if this was already posted.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
@rollie: camo/amauri are the same to me as rossi. Great players, disloyal. Amauri can catch a team and the first one that comes calling he is going to take. What is the point of a national team when players get to choose what country they get to play for? Instead of being honored to play, unlike rossi who said "it was just easier in europe" even though calling USA home. Like andybrushmyteeth in regards to camo, my mind is made up on the issue.

I wonder where the hypocrites are that cried when our great players abandoned us in calciopoli, leaving a team that is all dear to our hearts but when another player does the same to a team that is close to me and andy's heart we are constantly questioned because we see it differently. What canna and the other players did, in my opinion, is the same as rossi did. As andy says all to often....merchaneries, just looking out with what is best for them. How is the US supposed to improve when people take this option to play elsewhere? Same goes for all the other nations that had this issue. I'm open to anything or ideas you guys might have but I haven't heard anything yet to come close to persuading me otherwise.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Look, Rossi can play for the Azzurri all he wants, and congratulations to him. But I don't want him at Juventus, and I will not support him at Juventus. Too bad if people have a problem with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)