Nationality debate (17 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It's not a decision you make. You don't decide to have blue eyes or black skin. Your parents do, thus your parents are who decide where you are from. If I went and lived in Beijing for 40 years, guess what, I still wouldn't be chinese.
Yep :tup:

@martin: just curious what it says. Mine, for example, despite how close I am to my italian/german roots, says american. I love my heritage but wouldn't claim to be a citizen of those countries. I was just thinking about the legal documentation and how that could even be distorted.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
@martin: just curious what it says. Mine, for example, despite how close I am to my italian/german roots, says american. I love my heritage but wouldn't claim to be a citizen of those countries. I was just thinking about the legal documentation and how that could even be distorted.
Mine would undoubtedly say Polish since I was born in Poland to Polish parents. There was no inkling at the time that I would spend most of my life in Norway.

I have citizenship in both countries, legally I'm 100% a member of both. But not only that, with Schengen and I can live wherever I please in Europe (without having to apply for anything), so I'm not confined to either Poland or Norway.

Are you trying to tell me that a piece of paper determines who you are? What if the person filling out that paper decided to put Italian, would that make you Italian?

Cmon, you know better than this.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
He was talking about tradition, not genetics. Traditionally children take their fathers last name and in some homes the fathers heritage.
No, he was talking about genetics at first. That genetics plays the biggest and maybe the only role. Now he has shifted a bit.

Lets just wait and see what happens next :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Traditionally speaking.

That's not what I think. Read rest of my post.
Forget tradition. I asked how do you decide biologically in these cases. I also made some absurd calculation following directly from your statements, that didn't faze you in the least. Apparently you are impervious to self contradiction.

You also stated that nationality has nothing to do with where one is at home.

Any normal mortal would see that there is something not quite right with this logic, but you rise above that. :tup:

Jun 13, 2007
No, he was talking about genetics at first. That genetics plays the biggest and maybe the only role. Now he has shifted a bit.

Lets just wait and see what happens next :)
To clear up the confusion.

Genetics decide where you are from, who you are, ethnicity, etc..

Tradition decides which last name you carry, which official passport you will own etc..

Martin asked me that if two parents with different nationalities had a kidm which nationality would that kid be if there had to be one.

Personally, I think genetics will decide for the most part, the more dominant gene. If a Ghanian man marries a chinese woman and they have a black kid, the kid will be Ghanian.

Jun 13, 2007
Forget tradition. I asked how do you decide biologically in these cases. I also made some absurd calculation following directly from your statements, that didn't faze you in the least. Apparently you are impervious to self contradiction.

You also stated that nationality has nothing to do with where one is at home.

Any normal mortal would see that there is something not quite right with this logic, but you rise above that. :tup:
Like I said, the more dominant gene will decide. Balotelli is Ghanian, not Italian.

Nationality doesn't decide that, where's the logical contradiction? I can be Lebanese but I may feel right at home in the United States where people treat each other better, there are more opportunities etc...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Like I said, the more dominant gene will decide. Balotelli is Ghanian, not Italian.

Nationality doesn't decide that, where's the logical contradiction? I can be Lebanese but I may feel right at home in the United States where people treat each other better, there are more opportunaties etc...
So now we're going by what people look like? Fine. Ghanian man marries Italian woman. One kid is dark, one is light. Therefore one is Ghanian and his brother is Italian?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)