Nationality debate (17 Viewers)

Jun 13, 2007
So if I moved to Lebanon today and 5 generations later my heirs would still be Polish because of "genetics"? Even though let's say they didn't even know where their ancestors were originally from and thought their family history had always been Lebanese?

What if an Italian marries a German? What's the nationality of the kid then? Remember, you can only pick one.

It's trivial to dismiss this genetics logic.
You would be Polish, but the 5th generation would be Lebanese.

Traditionally, the father decides the nationality. In countries like Brazil, it's actually the mother.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You would be Polish, but the 5th generation would be Lebanese.
So what happened in between there? How did we jump from one to the other?

Traditionally, the father decides the nationality. In countries like Brazil, it's actually the mother.
lol ok so let's ignore half of the "genetics" because it's a social custom? so it's not really genetic at all then if we can just throw away half the "evidence".

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
So if I moved to Lebanon today and 5 generations later my heirs would still be Polish because of "genetics"? Even though let's say they didn't even know where their ancestors were originally from and thought their family history had always been Lebanese?

What if an Italian marries a German? What's the nationality of the kid then? Remember, you can only pick one.

It's trivial to dismiss this genetics logic.
What does your birth certificate say?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Wait a minute, people are using the genetics argument, AKA the blood argument?

I guess the US should only have a team consisting of Native Americans then.

Jun 13, 2007
So what happened in between there? How did we jump from one to the other?

lol ok so let's ignore half of the "genetics" because it's a social custom? so it's not really genetic at all then if we can just throw away half the "evidence".
Typically, the custom breaks down in the 4th generation( I'll explain why in a second). Meaning that your great great grandchild would be Lebanese despite you being Polish.

Why? Because presumably, your son would marry a Lebanese woman, and their son/daughter a Lebanese son/daughter and so on. Thus your great great grandchild would be more Lebanese than polish due to genetics.

Consider this example. If I was chinese and moved to Italy, my grandson may look Chinese but with time, my other descendents would begin to look Italian.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Wait a minute, people are using the genetics argument, AKA the blood argument?

I guess the US should only have a team consisting of Native Americans then.
TBH there is not a single argument that is particularly convincing. I'd base my decision on where I've spent most of my time though. If I live in the US for 20 years, I'm sure I am somewhat American.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Typically, the custom breaks down in the 4th generation( I'll explain why in a second). Meaning that your great great grandchild would be Lebanese despite you being Polish.

Why? Because presumably, your son would marry a Lebanese woman, and their son/daughter a Lebanese son/daughter and so on. Thus your great great grandchild would be more Lebanese than polish due to genetics.

Consider this example. If I was chinese and moved to Italy, my grandson may look Chinese but with time, my other descendents would begin to look Italian.
4th generation?

1 part Polish male DNA, 1 part female DNA => 0.5 Polish
0.5 part Polish male DNA, 1 part female DNA => 0.25 Polish
0.25 part Polish male DNA, 1 part female DNA => 0.125 Polish
0.125 part Polish male DNA, 1 part female DNA => 0.0625 Polish (6%)

So the threshold for nationality is 6% male?

Sure, all this makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Jun 13, 2007
TBH there is not a single argument that is particularly convincing. I'd base my decision on where I've spent most of my time though. If I live in the US for 20 years, I'm sure I am somewhat American.
It's not a decision you make. You don't decide to have blue eyes or black skin. Your parents do, thus your parents are who decide where you are from. If I went and lived in Beijing for 40 years, guess what, I still wouldn't be chinese.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
If you get Nationality then you're American. Look at Arnold, he runs California. The US is a country of immigrants, there is no getting away from the fact that there is really no "true" American. Most people here could get two or three citizenships if they wanted to, too bad that freedom is a bit of the hinderance on the soccer front.

Jun 13, 2007
4th generation?

1 part Polish male DNA, 1 part female DNA => 0.5 Polish
0.5 part Polish male DNA, 1 part female DNA => 0.25 Polish
0.25 part Polish male DNA, 1 part female DNA => 0.125 Polish
0.125 part Polish male DNA, 1 part female DNA => 0.0625 Polish (6%)

So the threshold for nationality is 6% male?

Sure, all this makes a heck of a lot of sense.
They don't necessarily have to be divided that way. Some genes are dominant while others are recessive.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If you get Nationality then you're American. Look at Arnold, he runs California. The US is a country of immigrants, there is no getting away from the fact that there is really no "true" American. Most people here could get two or three citizenships if they wanted to, too bad that freedom is a bit of the hinderance on the soccer front.
Is it because of patriotism that this nationality thing is so important to some of you?

Jun 13, 2007
What if on my 80th birthday.

I spent 20 years in Ireland.

20 in France.

20 in Japan.

20 in Senegal.

Where am I from?

Or better yet.

I spent 5 years in Egypt.

5 in Jordan.

5 in Kuwait.

5 in Spain.

5 in Honduras.

5 in Italy.

5 in Paraguay.

5 in Belgium.

5 in China.

5 in Malaysia.

5 in South Korea,

5 in Indonesia.

5 in England.

5 in Iran.

5 in Iraq.

5 in Canada

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)