Nationality debate (9 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
The latvians living in US in third generation, who have been once or twice in Latvia, still consider themselves latvians and speak in family in latvian, it all depends on how the parent's raise their kid's. It's your free choice if you want to take the citizenship of the country you are living in, i for one don't blame the russian kid's, who are living in Latvia, for not taking our citizenship, if they consider themselves russians.

May 4, 2004
That is my case, I already know who disagrees with it and I accept that you feel different. I'd really appreciate this anti-american sentiments to find the exit and not return. The US has always been a melting pot and for those who wish to come here for something they might not be able to get somewhere else then I welcome you with open arms, just don't abuse the system here because it does have an ill-effect on others.
I aint gonna respond to the whole post as I dont need to, you have your opinion and I have mine..

As I get it, Rossi has abused the Amarican system because he picked Italy insted of US and A ?

May 4, 2004
The latvians living in US in third generation, who have been once or twice in Latvia, still consider themselves latvians and speak in family in latvian, it all depends on how the parent's raise their kid's. It's your free choice if you want to take the citizenship of the country you are living in, i for one don't blame the russian kid's, who are living in Latvia, for not taking our citizenship, if they consider themselves russians.
:tup: for that !..

Jul 10, 2006
Like I said the other day, I was in ODP my whole life up until 17 or so, as someone who tried to make it and failed to someone who was better, that I understand and accept. I don't accept someone that jumps ship on the system. I just don't agree with it
I respect your opinion, but I think it is unreasonable to expect someone in the ODP at the age of 12 or 13 to commit his future to playing for that country forever.

Again, Rossi didn't come from your average, 3rd or 4th generation Italian immigrant family.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
If you are born in the country that's exactly what you are. A man can be a female because he has his balls cut off to make himself think he is a female, he is and always will be a man. You can think you're latvian and all that's fine keeping your cultural identity, but born and raised in this country makes you American. No other way around it.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If you are born in the country that's exactly what you are. A man can be a female because he has his balls cut off to make himself think he is a female, he is and always will be a man. You can think you're latvian and all that's fine keeping your cultural identity, but born and raised in this country makes you American. No other way around it.
Cmon, that's nonsense. You are what you want to be. If you're brought up Italian at home, speaking Italian around the house, going to Italy on vacation every year, reading Italian books, learning Italian history and so on, you're just as much Italian as you are American.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Cmon, that's nonsense. You are what you want to be. If you're brought up Italian at home, speaking Italian around the house, going to Italy on vacation every year, reading Italian books, learning Italian history and so on, you're just as much Italian as you are American.
I said that there isn't anything wrong with keeping your cultural identity. That is exactly what my German father and Italian mother did for me. But, being born here first and foremost I am an American. The majority of my life has been surrounded by American culture, how am I equally the same as italian/german then? That does not make much sense, now parents keeping their cultural heritage strong yes, but their children are still American or whatever country they are born in.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I said that there isn't anything wrong with keeping your cultural identity. That is exactly what my German father and Italian mother did for me. But, being born here first and foremost I am an American. The majority of my life has been surrounded by American culture, how am I equally the same as italian/german then? That does not make much sense, now parents keeping their cultural heritage strong yes, but their children are still American or whatever country they are born in.
What if those countries don't recognize you as their citizens? Most countries in Asia don't, so are they stateless? An American born and raised in Korea for example, he's not American by your analogy, but he can't be Korean either...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You're a perfect example! When I was 8-9 I went to a Catholic school. It was the only Catholic school in town, so naturally a lot of Polish immigrants sent their kids there. Among those kids there was a big difference in the attitudes of the parents. Some parents made efforts to teach their kids Polish and speak that at home, send them to after school Polish classes and basically do whatever they could to preserve the parents' heritage. Other parents were totally different. The kids spoke broken Polish, spoke Norwegian to their parents (esp common in mixed couples) and when I was 8 I could already tell that those kids' links to their past would never play a big part in their lives. Now, based on what I've seen growing up, I think the second type of parent is more common that the first. And that explains why lots of people emigrate and then their families just remain in the new country. But not everyone does that. Or even if they do remain they still keep in close touch with their old country.

Btw I consider myself half and half. Polish/Norwegian.

Sep 1, 2002
You're a perfect example! When I was 8-9 I went to a Catholic school. It was the only Catholic school in town, so naturally a lot of Polish immigrants sent their kids there. Among those kids there was a big difference in the attitudes of the parents. Some parents made efforts to teach their kids Polish and speak that at home, send them to after school Polish classes and basically do whatever they could to preserve the parents' heritage. Other parents were totally different. The kids spoke broken Polish, spoke Norwegian to their parents (esp common in mixed couples) and when I was 8 I could already tell that those kids' links to their past would never play a big part in their lives. Now, based on what I've seen growing up, I think the second type of parent is more common that the first. And that explains why lots of people emigrate and then their families just remain in the new country. But not everyone does that. Or even if they do remain they still keep in close touch with their old country.

Btw I consider myself half and half. Polish/Norwegian.
If you had be blessed with the ability to kick the ball round, as Rossi has, who would you choose to play for?

Jul 10, 2006
Rossi is American, no one has said otherwise. He is also Italian, ethnically, culturally and officially.

May 4, 2004
Wow... And you say my post's make me look like a fool!.. HAHAHAHAHAH shit!

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
Rossi is American, no one has said otherwise. He is also Italian, both ethnically, culturally and officially.
Pretty much. He's definitely Italian as well as American. Its like Klose and Podolski for Germany. Yes, they were born in Poland, but that part of Poland (Silesia) is historically German. Why should they have to play for Poland? Rossi's parents are Italian immigrants, and he held dual citizenship. Its a kick in the nuts to US Soccer for sure, he probably should have played for the US, but its not like he did something thoroughly classless, unlike the Jonathan de Guzman case.

De Guzman is a Jamaican/Filipino Canadian, with zero Dutch ethnicity, yet, rather than play with his brother for Canada, he jumped ship to Holland on a technicality. Had he decided to play for Jamaica or the Phillipines, fine, not cool for Canada, but at least that's his cultural background.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If you had be blessed with the ability to kick the ball round, as Rossi has, who would you choose to play for?
I'm not sure, I used to wonder about that. When I was a kid I thought I'd pick Poland. Later on in life I thought I'd pick Norway.

Of course there's no particular incentive for me, both of them suck. Not like a player who has a choice between a good team and a bad one.

Sep 1, 2002
Rossi is American, no one has said otherwise. He is also Italian, ethnically, culturally and officially.
I'm not sure, I used to wonder about that. When I was a kid I thought I'd pick Poland. Later on in life I thought I'd pick Norway.

Of course there's no particular incentive for me, both of them suck. Not like a player who has a choice between a good team and a bad one.
Perhaps you could have taken them to the finals.

We are a salad, aren't we.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)