My Italy (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I thought about what I would do as Italy coach and came up with what I think is an excellent lineup ;) First of all, you have to risk something in order to succeed and I've chosen to bet on some players that are unproven. However considering Italy's recent lack of success, I don't think there's that much to lose.

--------------------- Buffon

Oddo ----- Nesta ------ Cannavaro ------ Zambrotta

----- Gattuso ------ Maresca ------- Fiore

---------------------- Totti

---------- Del Piero --------- Vieri

I think there is a nice balance in this team which is why I think it could work. Obviously Nesta - Cannavaro is unquestionable. It's been done to death and it's always worked. I would open the door for Ferrari given Canna's instability of late.

Zambrotta I have a lot of confidence in and I think by now everyone does. He would be one of the most important players in his teams. Much would be expected from his surging runs á la Roberto Carlos to push up and mess it up for the opposition. At the same time, he's solid defensively.

Oddo is an unknown, his inclusion is justified only by the absence of a better right back. I have not seen much of Oddo but I would rely on him to handle the defensive responsibility here. Perhaps there is someone I have overlooked who could better fill his shoes. Bonera is one but he's not really an improvement.

Gattuso is a must for his grinta. It's a quality that the national team really needs and I would assign Gattuso a vital role. His responsibility would be largely defensive, keeping it secure while the others step forward. With Zambrotta, he would be very hard to replace in this team.

Maresca, this is the risk being taken. Enzo is a two way player, he's determined and he's hungry. He would play more defensively when needed or get forward when the possibility presents itself. He doesn't shy away from a challenge and he can shoot free kicks.

Fiore, well he could be swapped with another winger/offensive midfielder like Doni if available but unlike past occasions where there always were a couple capable playmakers, lately there aren't too many and I would give Fiore the chance that he deserves by playing him behind Totti. They should be able to work together and complement each other a little. And if Totti's off form, chances are Fiore can fill in somewhat.

Totti, my least favorite player in this team. I guess over the years I've come to trust him a little more, while I don't enjoy his antics or style much, he *can* score those important goals. But mainly because he's such a good passer. With Totti having two target men he could make great plays and he would also have some people around him to absorb some of the pressure. It's been mentioned elsewhere that Totti has never done enough to earn comparisons to guys like Zidane and if anything, in this team he would have plenty of opportunity to come into his own. If he's not doing anything, time for Pirlo, a man I much prefer anyway.

Del Piero. I only think he could ever be effective if he has the faith to perform. In his career dating back to Euro96, he's never been "the one" for Italy, other players have played every match, Del Piero was sitting on the bench. If you're going to give him 30 minutes, might as well not bring him. Surely, if there were a lot of Italian forwards in excellent shape right now, his inclusion would be more difficult to justify but when I look around, I see Cassano. Pippo scored a lot last year, where is he now? Di Vaio plays too little and has not proved himself at club level yet. Montella is very tempting but a lesson learnt is that this guy is *not* good when he's not in form (his latest World Cup should indicate that). So I choose Del Piero, I would play him all the time, let him get some much needed consistency. Trap has always kept faith in Totti thus Totti has flourished. Any player needs that confidence to perform, above all Del Piero.

This is another one I had trouble with. In the end I opt for Vieri as he has a bunch of experience and a good track record from previous tournaments. I have a feeling he's not as sharp anymore but there is noone making a good enough case for themself to edge out Bobo. Cassano comes to mind, I would try him as an alternative. There is also Di Natale.

Why is this team balanced? Well, for one thing there is a certain amount of creativity with Totti, Del Piero and Fiore all playing. Then there's a defensive solidity thanks to a proven defence and a dependable midfield. Both Gattuso and Maresca bring that element of grinta that's important when the game is rough.

Free kicks? Plenty of options. Totti has improved of late but if he's wasting them, I won't let him take more than 2. In the World Cup he wasted 11 of them and that makes no sense. There is Pirlo, there is Maresca, there is Del Piero. Everyone can have a shot, say based on who seems to be doing it best at the moment.

Penalties. Pirlo, definitely Pirlo. Since he's not guaranteed to be in the lineup, Del Piero can handle it but I would bet on Pirlo when it matters the most (which is a drawback of him not playing all the time).

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #3
    I only considered Pirlo in an attacking role because he doesn't seem to be very good defensively...

Sep 28, 2002
    well, that's how i see maresca :)

for now, i'd play fiore on the right and pirlo on the left. gattusso in the middle. when maresca becomes a regular starter for juve, then i'd move him to the left and pirlo to the middle.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    i would change maresca with pirlo. when former proves himself to represent his country on the highest level i'd probably change him for fiore.
    too true Fli,i think Pirlo is better than Maresca in all ways,maybe not defensively,but i'd still prefer him on maresca who still hasent proven anything.

anyway i'm not an Azurri fan but i'm just telling my opinion.:angel:

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Good post Alex.:).

I would pretty much agree with you. Although I would prefer 3-4-1-2 formation with this lot, I do't think there is enough time to change.

Anyway, I have a feeling that Trap will leave out Rino (for personal problem), Alex, Oddo, Maresca, Fiore, and opt his personal favorites Pannucci, Perrotta, Zanetti, and Inzaghi.
    It is quite simply shocking how he lets personal feelings dictate his selection. I just cannot see Rino being chosen for his reaction against Wales 2 years ago.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
    too true Fli,i think Pirlo is better than Maresca in all ways,maybe not defensively,but i'd still prefer him on maresca who still hasent proven anything.
    We're talking about a DM position, so I think it's not a case of "better at everything except for defence".

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #10
    The motivation is to build the best possible team, most capable of winning the tournament, nothing else. If you think that's a wrong mindset then we disagree.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    -------------------- Buffon ---------------------------

-------------- Canna --- Nesta ----------------------
    - Oddo -------------------------------- Zambro -----

---------------Gattuso --- Pirlo ----------------------

--------- Cassano --- Totti --- Del Piero ----------
    ------------------------ Pippo -------------------------

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ------------------Vieri-----------------

------------Totti --- Cassano-----------

Fiore --- Gattuso --- Pirlo --- Zambrotta

----Maldini --- Nesta --- Cannavaro------

-----------------Buffon-----------------

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
    ------------------Vieri-----------------

------------Totti --- Cassano-----------

Fiore --- Gattuso --- Pirlo --- Zambrotta

----Maldini --- Nesta --- Cannavaro------

-----------------Buffon-----------------

what's the point in playing zambrotta off his position?
    and italy would have the biggest prima donna defence in the world

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
    Jul 12, 2002
    Alex, I applaud your bold move for Maresca, but alas Enzo is star of the future - perhaps WC 2006. I'm right with you on Fiore, as he is excellent. Do you really see Gattuso in your first team? His rugby-esque qualities are needed for club football (especially a league like Serie A), bu he has been a failure internationally. Sustitute Gattuso with Camoranesi, IMO.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

what's the point in playing zambrotta off his position?
    and italy would have the biggest prima donna defence in the world

The defence is good enough to consist of only 3 players IMO, and Zambrotta is not playing out of position, he's played right wing more than left back,.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++

The defence is good enough to consist of only 3 players IMO, and Zambrotta is not playing out of position, he's played right wing more than left back,.
    but he doesn't play there now. all this movement would only disturb his performance imo.

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
    Jul 12, 2002
    --------- Buffon ----------------

-Big Gorilla, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta-

-Camoranesi, Albertini, Fiore-

--------Totti ---------------

-Vieri, Big Gorilla's brother

There! A winning side that won't offend the shameful DP doubters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)