'Murica! (98 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Pretty much agree with all your posts. Spitballing widly here, but a way to motivate cops to self police themselves in their criminal or abusive behaviours, might be that instead of the City/State paying the damages/lawsuits/compensation, that it comes out from union and police pensions. Becomes more self motivating factor to make sure your dumbass colleagues dont affect your future in tangible way.

Not that the City council or states systematically looking the other way or actively covering for them (or indirectly encouraging the cops to cover up their own dirt) isnt an issue in itself as is. But just way to spread the impact a little more to the cops themselves if they cant be motivated currently to stand up to the bad elements amongst them (and that if they can do that, there is a real system in place to support them for it, instead of ostracize them).
I forgot about that, good point someone mentioned it yesterday about taking damages out of their pensions, maybe it was you?

No one, especially bad guys, like their pay checks hit so you might onto something.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think we're looking at dead zones in a lot of US cities, just like in Detroit. The areas destroyed by looters and rioters, some owners will try to rebuild, others will be wiped out forever as the neighborhood risk continues. Police will have their hands tied and may even stop patrolling certain areas, which they probably already do anyway. People are already looking to move to the suburbs due to the Covid threat alone, so this will only exacerbate that trend. Between Covid, unrest, and economic uncertainty, these cities are fucked. If we were going to have anything other than an "L" shaped recovery in the broader economy, those chances are pretty slim now, IMO.
Honestly I think most, if not all, of your current problems come down to poverty and inequality.

The US is failing to provide very basic needs to vast parts of their population. Is Europe immune to social unrest? Of course not. But countries such as Belgium, France, Germany or Sweden are not on the verge of civil war whenever something happens. Why? Because people are getting the most basic of needs met.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Honestly I think most, if not all, of your current problems come down to poverty and inequality.

The US is failing to provide very basic needs to vast parts of their population. Is Europe immune to social unrest? Of course not. But countries such as Belgium, France, Germany or Sweden are not on the verge of civil war whenever something happens. Why? Because people are getting the most basic of needs met.
It's part of the problem, sure. But there's a laundry list of problems, including drugs and culture. You are fortunate enough not have those problems, at least not to the degree in which we have them here. For instance, whenever there is a disaster in a big city, looting is a risk and has been for a long time, i.e. Hurricane Katrina and sports celebrations. You can give a looter a check for $2000 a month, but that doesn't magically change their mentality to reject crime, drugs, violence, or underground economies. If they use it to create their own business and/or educate themselves, that's great, but is no guarantee and it depends upon the individual alone.

- - - Updated - - -

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Violent night last night and no sign of relief.

Can't say if this is necessarily related, however. A friend of mine's uncle was a sheriff and get executed in the parking lot. This happens, and you don't need this situation to trigger that. Often it has to do with old beefs and arrests.

Andy has said it already, couldn't pay me enough to be an Officer right now, certainly not in these big cities.
Cops just can't win. The best day they can hope to have is that they and their partners don't get hurt too badly and they don't run into anybody who forces them into the use of force. That is a perfect day for them right now.

@GordoDeCentral Have you met a Latin Kings patrol yet?

Damn. This is like when Pablo Escobar protected the hood.
A little like the Boca neighborhood on match day? ;)

I think we're looking at dead zones in a lot of US cities, just like in Detroit.
Totally possible. That was a major legacy for places like Detroit and Memphis from the 60s riots. And here people were talking about urban flight because of the expense... though those are completely different neighborhoods than what's getting the burn-down now.

Trump is becoming Nicolás Maduro.

It's part of the problem, sure. But there's a laundry list of problems, including drugs and culture. You are fortunate enough not have those problems, at least not to the degree in which we have them here. For instance, whenever there is a disaster in a big city, looting is a risk and has been for a long time, i.e. Hurricane Katrina and sports celebrations. You can give a looter a check for $2000 a month, but that doesn't magically change their mentality to reject crime, drugs, violence, or underground economies. If they use it to create their own business and/or educate themselves, that's great, but is no guarantee and it depends upon the individual alone.

- - - Updated - - -
That's partly true. Every time the Lakers would be in an NBA finals, win or lose they'd burn down everything around the Staples Center.

Drugs are often the game in town when it's the only game left. Not saying that everyone would happily put on a paper hat and make Dunkin' Donuts for a living, but when you have people who feel they have nothing left to lose it doesn't really matter what they hold on to. People need to be invested with a stake in its livelihood if not potential success. With nothing invested, what does it matter when you burn it all down?

Now I've worked for many years as a Red Cross disaster services volunteers, and looters get way more attention and coverage than they deserve. It's actually cited way out of proportion the way it looks like every cop in America now snaps the necks of black people for a living. This isn't a "pile on the evil media" thing, but people love conflict and the media delivers it on demand. So if there's anything close to resembling looting and chaos, it will be covered. The 98%+ who keep their crap together? Not so much... boring.

In disaster scenarios, I have hands-on, hands-down often found that there are ridiculously more acts of generosity and goodwill than there act acts towards crime and menacing. Typically the overall crime rate goes down in a city during a disaster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 83)