'Murica! (146 Viewers)

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
My family was one of them. My great grandfather on my mother's mother's side came here illegally through Canada (entered there illegally too after jumping off of a ship that he worked on) from Torre del Greco. This is why it's baffling to me when I see certain family member be so hard on illegal immigrants, as though we weren't the product of it ourselves.
Not us. My grandfather and his sister came here and my grandfather worked here for years for ocean spray. He eventually died here in 1974 at age 44 due to stroke and then my aunt help us come with green cards in 1977

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
My family was one of them. My great grandfather on my mother's mother's side came here illegally through Canada (entered there illegally too after jumping off of a ship that he worked on) from Torre del Greco. This is why it's baffling to me when I see certain family member be so hard on illegal immigrants, as though we weren't the product of it ourselves.
Not speaking for your family, but most people coincide illegal immigration with people south of the border, not Europeans. That’s the illegal immigration they don’t like.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
Not speaking for your family, but most people coincide illegal immigration with people south of the border, not Europeans. That’s the illegal immigration they don’t like.
I live in Freehold boro in new jersey a highly immigrant populated region and I don't care about who or what the people are I treat them all equally. All I know is that we as a state/country can't just allow unfettered access to resources. So the only way to stop it is to reform the immigration system and stop illegal immigration to the best of the ability

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You believe this study (of which you provided no link) proves that when a woman is raped and the sperm of the man raping her ends up inside of her, it is less likely that she will become pregnant if the same thing happens with consensual sex?

- - - Updated - - -

It was a lot easier to immigrate to the US. Both legally and illegally. But the conditions are so different you can't really conclude anything from that. I'm honestly not quite sure what point he thinks he is making.
I provided a link to that study. Which showed a 5% pregnancy rate among rape victims (it also ignored things like condom use). Other studies have shown upwards of 10% and even as high as 17%. I linked one of these.

AC said scientific research shows pregnancies resulting from rape are very rare to the point of being irrelevant, which is simply a conservative talking point and not true at all. There’s not a single peer-reviewed study that shows this.

It’s more likely based on widespread medieval scientific notions that a woman could not get pregnant without experiencing pleasure/orgasm, which was used to convict pregnant women who were raped of adultery.

And now be’s trying to change the goalposts to say that 5% is lower than actual pregnancy rates so he was right. But that’s not how it works. He said rape-related pregnancies are so rare that they are irrelevant to the abortion discussion. 5% of rape victims becoming pregnant is not rare, nor are 30,000 plus pregnancies a year from rape irrelevant.

But he continues to make spurious and ignorant claims on things he has no clue about and can’t back any of them up with actual evidence. It’s the same every time.

- - - Updated - - -

He wasn't being critical he was mocking and had his laughing face etc
I was criticizing the hypocrisy of your point of view on abortion, which is so outrageous it inspires laughter.

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
I provided a link to that study. Which showed a 5% pregnancy rate among rape victims (it also ignored things like condom use). Other studies have shown upwards of 10% and even as high as 17%. I linked one of these.

AC said scientific research shows pregnancies resulting from rape are very rare to the point of being irrelevant, which is simply a conservative talking point and not true at all. There’s not a single peer-reviewed study that shows this.

It’s more likely based on widespread medieval scientific notions that a woman could not get pregnant without experiencing pleasure/orgasm, which was used to convict pregnant women who were raped of adultery.

And now be’s trying to change the goalposts to say that 5% is lower than actual pregnancy rates so he was right. But that’s not how it works. He said rape-related pregnancies are so rare that they are irrelevant to the abortion discussion. 5% of rape victims becoming pregnant is not rare, nor are 30,000 plus pregnancies a year from rape irrelevant.

But he continues to make spurious and ignorant claims on things he has no clue about and can’t back any of them up with actual evidence. It’s the same every time.

- - - Updated - - -

I was criticizing the hypocrisy of your point of view on abortion, which is so outrageous it inspires laughter.
It may make you laugh but more and more people are becoming pro life so you're opinion matters not to me

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
A section here charts support from 1995 through 2018.

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/public-opinion-on-abortion/

- - - Updated - - -

And speaking of life, here's a move made by New Jersey that I support:

N.J. approves bill giving terminally ill people the right to end their lives

https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/03...-ill-people-the-right-to-end-their-lives.html
I just posted the Gallup numbers chart from 1976 to 2018.

Legal in all circumstances has risen 7% since 1976. Illegal in all circumstances has dropped 3%.

Legal in all + certain circumstances has risen from 76% to 79% since 1976.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Wanting limits on abortion and wanting all abortions stopped are very different things. I'm pretty sure the vast majority here in this debate are in favour of limits on when and how abortions can take place.

And as I showed above, support for abortion being legal in at least some circumstance has risen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 137)