'Murica! (148 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
How many countries have you lived in or visited to be that firm in your conclusion?

Your line of work/acheivement/possibility is not doable ANYWHERE else?
The field of work I’m in is available all over the place but not who I work for or what they do. That’s all I can really say.

Lived in Germany/Austria growing up off and on and I’m well traveled. I can tell you with certainty my field is world wide but my job is US specific.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yep. That’s part of it, that’s why I said “for starters”...as in, there is more but to primarily answer your question that’s the just of it. I see you tried to corner me, and that’s fine, but what I refer too is only available here. Like I said, you guys can think me or ALC are full of shit, we don’t really care. Everyone has their own dreams...maybe ALC’s dreams can be achieved in Belgium, Somalia or Trinidad but my specific ones are actually US specific.
Scratch my recent follow up question/post, understand after reading this. I just remembered what your new line of career is.

P.S Without knowing details, pretty sure you could maybe have same opportunity in UK, hear they are the leading mofos in national cyber security industry (Israeli's too prolly).

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Scratch my recent follow up question/post, understand after reading this. I just remembered what your new line of career is.

P.S Without knowing details, pretty sure you could maybe have same opportunity in UK, hear they are the leading mofos in national cyber security industry (Israeli's too prolly).
:tup:

Remember I said I had two jobs :D

That’s why I know for a fact I can only do it here :p

To sum it up: my dream is no illusion. But hey, if it makes people sleep better that I’m brainwashed so be it.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
There is no American Dream. It's hokus pokus. Social Mobility in the US is one of lowest among very high developed countries. But many americans keep telling themself otherwise. Straight up brainwashed.
Its the greatest sales pitch ever tho. My american cousins (born there) tells me this mantra plenty of times too.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Its the greatest sales pitch ever tho. My american cousins (born there) tells me this mantra plenty of times too.
Dumbasses don't get it.

For every Jeff Bezos or Zuckerberg, there's million upon millions of Americans living in poverty. Not moving an inch up the ladder - in many cases falling downwards.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I didn't try to corner you. I was truly just wondering what made the US exceptional in that respect.
@Hustini wants to play in the NFL.

He's nearing 50, he's close to being morbidly obese, his man boobs require him to use a sports bra at all times and he can't run 10 yards without having to catch his breath, but this is America. Everything is possible in America.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Thank you. I sincerely mean no malice here but despite here is a thread to bash my country which sure a lot is justified but I’m here to say I like it here. My life and those around me aren’t in shambles like some suggest our country is.

My national pride is specific to my circumstance it’s hard to explain. I’m still wondering how anyone thinks that is dangerous. Seven makes it sound like national pride = nationalism = Mussolini or something along those lines.

You live in the richest country in the world, yet poverty is all around you.

The US is in shambles. It is a fucking mess. We can argue all day why that is. I'm sure that the creation of one of the most toxic political climates the world has ever seen has something to do with it. But the fact is, while there is an incredible amount of wealth in the US, very little of it actually reaches the population.

- - - Updated - - -

It's propaganda. And it's everywhere in the US. In Europe we get to taste what their propaganda is like through Hollywood really.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
You know nothing about me (pre Tuz join date) or what kind of issues I’ve removed myself from growing up. I’m not Somalian but when you look at the ass backwards people I grew up around in Ohio and compare them to where I am now and where they are, I am pretty happy. I’ve changed my course in life and in my field within a year I will be elite simply because of the training and work experience I will get. There will always be better but I will be able to say those “better” individuals sit in desk right next to mine.

Sure I’m fortunate. But every American here has the same chances I had. Not my fault they were content or didn’t put the effort in.

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:

Seems like anyone but Americans can love their country. I don’t get it but I don’t care too. Love this place and I don’t see how my love of country hurts other people.
This actually reinforces my point, you should be proud of you then. Like you said sure the US provided opportunities but you had to take them and you did.
Also has nothing to do with pride. You are murking the waters with flipflopping on terms.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
This actually reinforces my point, you should be proud of you then. Like you said sure the US provided opportunities but you had to take them and you did.
Also has nothing to do with pride. You are murking the waters with flipflopping on terms.

What makes it even worse is that the particular issue he is describing is something most European countries are arguably better at. In Europe, you will get chances time and time again. You don't have to take on huge student loans, you don't have to bank on not getting sick.. If you can't pay college, it is often paid for you.. I'd agree that in a lot of ways the US might be a better place to do business. It seems easier to become a billionare in the US than it does in Europe.

But if we're talking about 'chances' for people who might not have the easiest backgrounds, surely I'd take almost all of Western Europe over the US.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The inequal poverty cannot be denied tho.

Personal anecdote of difference in poverty/stability, my experience of Public library (quietest place on earth) is VASTLY different then what my cousin in States tells me. She goes to her nearest one almost daily, but I just cannot understand wtf is going on when she describes it. Basically says its almost like a big ruckus halfway house for big amount of drunks/junkies/homeless people who need somewhere warm to stay in winter so they crowd around the public PCs to have excuse to be there until thrown out when closing.

I was like come on, you making it up. Just doesnt make sense to me thats how a library is for her, why arent these people cared for in basic necessity as warmth that they need to succumb to that? And not describing just handful, but dozens to near 100 at coldest etc.

Funilly enough there is a movie made on the subject too my Billy The Kid himself.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The inequal poverty cannot be denied tho.

Personal anecdote of difference in poverty/stability, my experience of Public library (quietest place on earth) is VASTLY different then what my cousin in States tells me. She goes to her nearest one almost daily, but I just cannot understand wtf is going on when she describes it. Basically says its almost like a big ruckus halfway house for big amount of drunks/junkies/homeless people who need somewhere warm to stay in winter so they crowd around the public PCs to have excuse to be there until thrown out when closing.

I was like come on, you making it up. Just doesnt make sense to me thats how a library is for her, why arent these people cared for in basic necessity as warmth that they need to succumb to that? And not describing just handful, but dozens to near 100 at coldest etc.

Funilly enough there is a movie made on the subject too my Billy The Kid himself.

Yup. Whenever I walk around in an American city the first thing that catches my attention is just how many homeless people there seem to be. Most of them with clear mental health issues too by the way.

There are a lot, A LOT, of things wrong with Belgium, but we do not seem to have this complete disregard for human life.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
What makes it even worse is that the particular issue he is describing is something most European countries are arguably better at. In Europe, you will get chances time and time again. You don't have to take on huge student loans, you don't have to bank on not getting sick.. If you can't pay college, it is often paid for you.. I'd agree that in a lot of ways the US might be a better place to do business. It seems easier to become a billionare in the US than it does in Europe.

But if we're talking about 'chances' for people who might not have the easiest backgrounds, surely I'd take almost all of Western Europe over the US.
Agreed :tup: is the american dream for those people for sure

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
American Dream is specific at least in my case it is. Call me selfish, but it’s all about me (my goals) and what I can provide for my family.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
American Dream is specific at least in my case it is. Call me selfish, but it’s all about me (my goals) and what I can provide for my family.

The US might be the best country for you. I'm sure it is for many people. I can certainly see why a lot of people would prefer to live there. But that's an individual choice. It doesn't exactly prove that there is more upward social mobility on the US than anywhere else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 140)