'Murica! (130 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Farmland should never be sold to foreign corporations. We should never relinquish control of our food supply chains.
True but in an instance like this i think it makes the power balance even more in our favor, ie China can't really ever start shit or step to the US when they are dependant upon us for food to the degree that a hostile relationship would collapse their civilization in weeks

Apr 12, 2004
True but in an instance like this i think it makes the power balance even more in our favor, ie China can't really ever start shit or step to the US when they are dependant upon us for food to the degree that a hostile relationship would collapse their civilization in weeks
(Not to you, Kyle.) Why is everyone so short-sighted?

Number one, their buying up agricultural land has nothing to do with its annual gross yield, it costs more in fuel than it's worth to grow corn. Last year, or two years ago, a carbon tax reduction was passed in the House. As long as Corporations spend X on Y amount of acreage including trees, or replant trees, they get tax write-offs. It's something insane like 250 dollars an acre, but it scales by 10 after 500 acres? It has some sort of wild qualifier like that.

In any case, corporations, in general, are purchasing forested land by the tonne, peck, and boat load.

Here:

https://esgclarity.com/jp-morgan-firm-buys-500m-in-land-partly-for-carbon-capture/

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
You don’t think they can find food elsewhere? Their civilization would not collapse in “weeks”. What an odd prediction that is.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You don’t think they can find food elsewhere? Their civilization would not collapse in “weeks”. What an odd prediction that is.
Welcome to global capitalism. When Murica runs out of food, we just do some breaking & entering in Canada and Mexico like they're one big San Francisco Walgreens.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Why are you asking? You’re not Sirhan Sirhan’s brother are you?
Nah, even worse. Works for the CIA.

- - - Updated - - -

There’s literally people buying up land next to military bases like every day. Nothing surrounded Fort Detrick when my dad started working there about 30 years ago, now there’s all sorts of houses and military contractors sitting right next to a base that contains massive BL4 labs and other relatively secret shit. There’s even a couple Chinese restaurants next to it. Better hope another Wuhan doesn’t occur.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 126)