'Murica! (124 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
91aebbf37ac8685eea3185b6dde79b48.jpg

I’m not an economist, but this shit looks fucked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and no. A massive global pandemic for one. And for another, inflation. In 1800, $1 could buy you six hookers and a kilo of blow. So it's big, but not wholly unexpected, IMO.

I believe US national debt totals are around $30 trillion now.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
What bothers me the most aren't even the decisions themselves.

Even if you read Dobbs v Jackson (which I thoroughly disagree with), it is not as if the arguments of the Supreme Court are inherently without merit.

But it is quite obvious that the recent decisions have pretty much come on order and are the result of a completely partisan court, while the Supreme Court is supposed to be a vital part of the checks and balances within American democracy. Add to that that Congress is basically completely toothless at this point and you really have no functioning democracy left.
it also basically guts the power of most federal agencies such as osha, cdc, labor, etc to regulate since the exact regulations they follow are based on broad legislation rather than specific. stands to greatly limit the power of the federal government. which in my opinion is dangerous since Congress hasn’t passed a useful law in about a decade

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
#winning

- - - Updated - - -

it also basically guts the power of most federal agencies such as osha, cdc, labor, etc to regulate since the exact regulations they follow are based on broad legislation rather than specific. stands to greatly limit the power of the federal government. which in my opinion is dangerous since Congress hasn’t passed a useful law in about a decade
Will make congress actually work. Ohhh the humanity

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and no. A massive global pandemic for one. And for another, inflation. In 1800, $1 could buy you six hookers and a kilo of blow. So it's big, but not wholly unexpected, IMO.

I believe US national debt totals are around $30 trillion now.
Did blow exist in 1800? Proof or edit :p

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
Exactly, because they haven't NEEDED to pass one. They can create broad sweeping laws, start up their own agency, and legislate from that.

Now they might... horror... have to legislate as a branch of government which means they might... shudder... have to compromise!

"But how do you compromise with Nazis?" Great question. Stop calling the side you only slightly disagree with nazis. That rhetoric isn't helpful, is factually incorrect, and is clearly damaging progress.

INSANITY!

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Exactly, because they haven't NEEDED to pass one. They can create broad sweeping laws, start up their own agency, and legislate from that.

Now they might... horror... have to legislate as a branch of government which means they might... shudder... have to compromise!

"But how do you compromise with Nazis?" Great question. Stop calling the side you only slightly disagree with nazis. That rhetoric isn't helpful, is factually incorrect, and is clearly damaging progress.

INSANITY!
logic has no place on this forum.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Two girls, one medal?

INSANITY!
Terrorists start crashing planes into buildings, and suddenly the tune changes.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

INSANITY!
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Congress to actually do something productive. That would be to the huge benefit of the nation.

I think an interesting question is as follows. Should Congress actually legislate that I have to wear a hard hat on a job site or can we trust OSHA to assume that was inferred by broader legislation even though it’s may not be specifically mentioned? Or do we insist Congress amend the law to include specific hard had regulations?

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Congress to actually do something productive. That would be to the huge benefit of the nation.

I think an interesting question is as follows. Should Congress actually legislate that I have to wear a hard hat on a job site or can we trust OSHA to assume that was inferred by broader legislation even though it’s may not be specifically mentioned? Or do we insist Congress amend the law to include specific hard had regulations?
cant-truss-it.gif

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

Why work if you don't get to wear your pickelhaube on site?

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013

I dont know if OSHA making people wear helmets for safety is the same as the EPA ruling what businesses can and cannot exist is the same.

I'd have to do more research into it. OSHA safety regulations result in fines. They don't kill entire industries on a whim.

You cannot take major actions on a whim. You must have clear direction from Congress in the form of law.

So yes, if OSHA told businesses that if they didn't wear helmets their INDUSTRY would be closed I would think OSHA would be beyond their power.

Helmet rules from OSHA and EPA shutting down and killing industries through regulation don't seem like for like. But again, I'd need to research it more. And if you ask "is that what the EPA is really doing" clearly this Supreme Court ruling says yes thats what they were doing. Otherwise it wouldn't have been brought before the SC.

Edit: See, Roberts in the ruling:
“Capping carbon dioxide emissions at a level that will force a nationwide transition away from the use of coal to generate electricity may be a sensible ‘solution to the crisis of the day,’” he added. But “a decision of such magnitude and consequence rests with Congress itself, or an agency acting pursuant to a clear delegation from that representative body.”
If you're trying to kill an entire industry, do it with law. Don't hide behind an agency you created to make such sweeping changes and kill an industry.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
OSHA can shut down factories and rightfully so.

I’ve worked in manufacturing and ops needs to be scared of being shut down for not providing safe working environment to their employees, otherwise they’ll try to get away with anything.

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
OSHA can shut down factories and rightfully so.

I’ve worked in manufacturing and ops needs to be scared of being shut down for not providing safe working environment to their employees, otherwise they’ll try to get away with anything.
But shutting down those factories doesn't close their industry. Permanently. Right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 122)