'Murica! (37 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think it's more selective reading and a laziness to challenge their own beliefs.

It's basically the same mechanisms we witnessed when people objected to The Last Temptation of Christ without ever watching it. Same circus, different clowns.

This is hilarious, powerful and moving. Cudos to the one who came up with this idea.
https://god.dailydot.com/nra-president-graduation-speech/
It's semi-amusing. My problem with it is the question of efficacy and outcomes. Memes preach to the converted. And I'm really sick of stunts that look good for the Internetz that fail to do anything beyond gain momentary likes before they're forgotten.

It's hard to get worked up over a thirsty viral video that changes nothing when LaPierre's trips to the Bahamas have done far more for gun control.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Watching the BET awards.

Segregation is the shit now.

Cool as ice ice ice ice ice.
As someone who really never watched those, I'm curious from an anthropological perspective how they may have evolved.

Like... has it gone from a FUBU-type celebration among family with the special melanin to something with more external social pressure to make about a global political platform to read grievances, Festivus style?

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
It's semi-amusing. My problem with it is the question of efficacy and outcomes. Memes preach to the converted. And I'm really sick of stunts that look good for the Internetz that fail to do anything beyond gain momentary likes before they're forgotten.

It's hard to get worked up over a thirsty viral video that changes nothing when LaPierre's trips to the Bahamas have done far more for gun control.
Well, sometimes, all that some people can really do is create a video or meme and raise awarness and leave it to those who can really make a change to try and make a change. America needs to make changes in gun control and how easy it is to aquire guns. The whole debate is stupid. Its like America is the smartest and allows kids to buy weapons and the rest of the world is stupid for having a strict gun control.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Well, sometimes, all that some people can really do is create a video or meme and raise awarness and leave it to those who can really make a change to try and make a change. America needs to make changes in gun control and how easy it is to aquire guns. The whole debate is stupid. Its like America is the smartest and allows kids to buy weapons and the rest of the world is stupid for having a strict gun control.
America is free(sort of), the rest are slaves. There's always a price to pay.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Awareness isn't the problem. We're drowning in awareness.

Hence why I think things like that are just feel-good-but-do-nothing theater. Slacktivism.

Can I have a Nelson Muntz, please

tenor.gif

There. Problem solved.

I'm normally a limited fan of Charles Eisenstein. He's treated a bit more highly than I think he deserves, but he does provide some decent topical thought at times. And this reminded me of one of his recent posts about festivals and the social need for rituals, and since it cites Rene Girard...:
https://charleseisenstein.org/essays/girard-series-part-1-the-death-of-the-festival/

Where's this quoted from, btw?

EDIT... ah, never mind. Girard...
http://www.byzantinecatholic.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Violence-and-the-Sacred-Girard.pdf

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Awareness isn't the problem. We're drowning in awareness.

Hence why I think things like that are just feel-good-but-do-nothing theater. Slacktivism.

Can I have a Nelson Muntz, please

tenor.gif

There. Problem solved.

I'm normally a limited fan of Charles Eisenstein. He's treated a bit more highly than I think he deserves, but he does provide some decent topical thought at times. And this reminded me of one of his recent posts about festivals and the social need for rituals, and since it cites Rene Girard...:
https://charleseisenstein.org/essays/girard-series-part-1-the-death-of-the-festival/

Where's this quoted from, btw?

EDIT... ah, never mind. Girard...
http://www.byzantinecatholic.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Violence-and-the-Sacred-Girard.pdf
Just read the essay, though this movie was meant as satire i can't deny the validity of the point of the video, i do believe a lot of the current social issue have to do with our love/hate relationship with our primitiveness/violence

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Just read the essay, though this movie was meant as satire i can't deny the validity of the point of the video, i do believe a lot of the current social issue have to do with our love/hate relationship with our primitiveness/violence

That's been my question about cryptocurrency. Many cryptosexuals seem to glom on this idea of having extra-governmental money, which I get due to monetary policy, inflation, and central banks. But one of the things governments have that DeFi does not is weaponry and the arm of the law. Call it a feature and not a bug.

You can play against 51% attacks and route things through algorithms all you want. But China has just shown that when the state wants your bitcoin mining operation to shut down under threat of force, well, your bits are no good against a gun.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
As someone who really never watched those, I'm curious from an anthropological perspective how they may have evolved.

Like... has it gone from a FUBU-type celebration among family with the special melanin to something with more external social pressure to make about a global political platform to read grievances, Festivus style?
Awards shows are (were) the easiest way for Harvey Weisntein to tug his little mushroom in front of a 20 y/o Jennifer Lawrence?

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
But China has just shown that when the state wants your bitcoin mining operation to shut down under threat of force, well, your bits are no good against a gun.
:shifty: screeching about orange boi got you to a point where you not only side with a totalitarian government but also hope for it to be deployed in the western civilization in a similar manner because then you won't have to cope with the fact that you paul krugman'd a paradigm shift.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)