'Murica! (66 Viewers)

Jun 6, 2015
That's a false analogy. NBC doesn't provide everyone with a platform. Twitter does.

Andy makes a good point. This is no different from refusing to serve black people. Just because you're a private business, that doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

In this case though they have their reasons and I'm very confident any court would decide that a private business is entitled to exclude users from their platform if it believes the platform is used to incite violence.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
That's a false analogy as well. Surely everyone sees the difference between denying services because of the color of skin vs. the actions of the customer.

Better analogy would be a refusing to serve someone because they verbally abuse other clients and/or staff for example.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That's a false analogy. NBC doesn't provide everyone with a platform. Twitter does.

Andy makes a good point. This is no different from refusing to serve black people. Just because you're a private business, that doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

In this case though they have their reasons and I'm very confident any court would decide that a private business is entitled to exclude users from their platform if it believes the platform is used to incite violence.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Twitter has no mandate to provide everyone with a platform anymore than NBC does. NBC just has limits because of production costs and the sale of airtime for everything it hosts... NOT because they are making a stand to limit speech. Those are purely business reasons, not political ones.

This is different from refusing to serve black people. Because that much is on the basis of who they are. Which is unlike the basis on what someone does, which is why someone who comes into a store without pants or decides to defecate on the tables can be banned from a private business. There is a right to refuse service on the basis of things other than the race you were born with.

People don't have the choice to be born black or not. But people do have a choice on whether to egg on people to violently overthrow a government building or not.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
There are crazy people out there who do not know the line between war talk and war. It's been a long time since we've had big stories about religious or military cults, but make no mistake: there is a really big cult out there right now. With an infallible leader who can do no wrong in their eyes while exploiting them for personal selfish gain. And the rabid belief in falsehoods and conspiracies. Without this, without QAnon, you might argue that Trump could have been re-elected.

If we don't start addressing this as a cult situation, more people are going to die needlessly and at the hands of each other. And one of the ways you sanely have to deal with a cult is to try to find separation between a cult leader and his followers. That and we need more testimonials from former cult members and we need to give lifelines to cult members to find ways to climb back into reality.
Yes, some of these people are definitely acting like they're part of a cult. So if that is the strategy they want to implement to stave off the cult, then fine. Just make sure that the cult on the other side is targeted as well, otherwise they will be more convinced they have proper justification of their actions. Again, much of this goes back to the premise these people are being silenced and that they don't have a future in America.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yes, some of these people are definitely acting like they're part of a cult. So if that is the strategy they want to implement to stave off the cult, then fine. Just make sure that the cult on the other side is targeted as well, otherwise they will be more convinced they have proper justification of their actions. Again, much of this goes back to the premise these people are being silenced and that they don't have a future in America.
Oh, there are lefty cults as well. Seattle's Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone being such an example. But that's a bit different in scope and authority when the national leader is egging on a cult to storm the halls of government.

This future in America thing is a curious one though. (And yes, you could say non-whites question their future in America too.) America seems like one of the few cultures where people believe someone owes them a future. Like it's something they are entitled to. Most other places I've been to are less born to believe the world owes them something.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That's a false analogy as well. Surely everyone sees the difference between denying services because of the color of skin vs. the actions of the customer.

Better analogy would be a refusing to serve someone because they verbally abuse other clients and/or staff for example.
People don't have the choice to be born black or not. But people do have a choice on whether to egg on people to violently overthrow a government building or not.
Twitter has been banning conservatives long before the capitol march was even discussed. Now they also removed Limbaugh as well. So yes, it's essentially banning people for their political views, which is banning people for who they are.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Twitter has been banning conservatives long before the capitol march was even discussed. Now they also removed Limbaugh as well. So yes, it's essentially banning people for their political views, which is banning people for who they are.
Tuz is really hardly any different though. When someone gets so many warnings and bans and still doesn't obey, permaban becomes the only recourse.

And as we know, permabans themselves can be a bit fluid.

Jun 6, 2015
That's not completely true though. They are banned for their actions on those platforms not for their political views. It's completely possible to be a conservative and not get banned from Twitter, just don't feed conspiracies and spread misinformation/disinformation. Shouldn't be that hard.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Both of our senators were part of the rather large repub group that wanted to undo the election results.

I really need to move. Normally I laugh at ding a lings but this is a national disgrace. This and the corona politics with lives being lost.

Some time back I posted about being able to tell right away if someone is a repub or not by looking at them. Google Marsha Blackburn and let me know if she screams old southern repub or if it's just my years of exp living here.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Oh, there are lefty cults as well. Seattle's Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone being such an example. But that's a bit different in scope and authority when the national leader is egging on a cult to storm the halls of government.
What makes the halls of government more important than the property of the common folk?

This future in America thing is a curious one though. (And yes, you could say non-whites question their future in America too.) America seems like one of the few cultures where people believe someone owes them a future. Like it's something they are entitled to. Most other places I've been to are less born to believe the world owes them something.
It's the entitlement factor that both sides adore.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not completely true though. They are banned for their actions on those platforms not for their political views. It's completely possible to be a conservative and not get banned from Twitter, just don't feed conspiracies and spread misinformation/disinformation. Shouldn't be that hard.
Who is the purveyor of truth though? If you can't freely discuss ideas, then what's the point? Twitter should change their mission statement if that's the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Both of our senators were part of the rather large repub group that wanted to undo the election results.

I really need to move. Normally I laugh at ding a lings but this is a national disgrace. This and the corona politics with lives being lost.

Some time back I posted about being able to tell right away if someone is a repub or not by looking at them. Google Marsha Blackburn and let me know if she screams old southern repub or if it's just my years of exp living here.
I hear property in Venezuela is pretty cheap right now.

- - - Updated - - -

FC86DB4B-D55D-48F0-9BF3-36DA38F63346.jpeg
I knew it. I fucking knew it. The soyboy rednecks have a hard on for her.
Hmm, I wonder what shoe size she wears. :think:

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Good job spreading lies again. :baus:

- - - Updated - - -

The entire premise of the MAGA movement is that anyone who disagrees with the Trump cult should get the fuck out of ‘Murica. :lol:

Jun 6, 2015
Who is the purveyor of truth though? If you can't freely discuss ideas, then what's the point? Twitter should change their mission statement if that's the case.
With Covid-19, the health authorities. With elections, the election authorities.

These people are not discussing about which way the toilet paper should be placed. They are claiming that there was widespread fraud during the US elections, with zero evidence. They are claiming that there are pedophiles in the cellar of a pizzeria. You can still freely discuss and change ideas. If you want to spread conspiracies you need to find another platform that allows it.

- - - Updated - - -

ErVhN46UYAAj3Gq?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Last edited:

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
With Covid-19, the health authorities. With elections, the election authorities.

These people are not discussing about which way the toilet paper should be placed. They are claiming that there was widespread fraud during the US elections, with zero evidence. They are claiming that there are pedophiles in the cellar of a pizzeria. You can still freely discuss and change ideas. If you want to spread conspiracies you need to find another platform that allows it.

- - - Updated - - -

ErVhN46UYAAj3Gq?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg
Roger Stone says he's found Jesus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 59)