Movies you've seen recently... (26 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulslider

Rregula sound
May 16, 2006
Actually, you're wrong about that. The only people who get excited about weed in Holland are tourists. Once you make something legal it's not exciting anymore, because it's not forbidden, and people stop caring about it.
by stop caring do you mean they don't smoke it anymore just because is legal or?

But Bourne isn't about drugs. Pulp Fiction is. And what do you know, a bunch of weed fans loved it, how shocking. :p
i don't see what weed has to do with someone loving Pulp Fiction , it's not like the movie is about weed, yeah the movie has drugs in it but so do a million of other films

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
by stop caring do you mean they don't smoke it anymore just because is legal or?

i don't see what weed has to do with someone loving Pulp Fiction , it's not like the movie is about weed, yeah the movie has drugs in it but so do a million of other films
More like they stop bragging about it.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I mean they get all excited about it like little kids when they're maybe 15, try it a few times and find out it's nothing special. And maybe they smoke it once a year or something if there's some occasion for it, but it's not on their agenda 24/7 and doesn't dominate their conversation like it does with people around here.

More like they stop bragging about it.
Indeed.

It has two things: drugs and gangsters. There's a large group of immature teenagers who loooooove gangster movies, most likely born out of the mindset that "I'm a kid and my parents have power over me and I wish I could be independent and have power over other people". And then there's the immature fascination with drugs. Pretty good fit, wouldn't you say?

soulslider

Rregula sound
May 16, 2006
It has two things: drugs and gangsters. There's a large group of immature teenagers who loooooove gangster movies, most likely born out of the mindset that "I'm a kid and my parents have power over me and I wish I could be independent and have power over other people". And then there's the immature fascination with drugs. Pretty good fit, wouldn't you say?
Absolutely agree with that , you should have wrote that instead of a 'bunch of weed fans loved it'

Jan 7, 2004
that's the thing though, you spend 2 hours watching the movie, really get into it, forget the rest, and then when it's done, back to reality.

plus, to further prove your point ;) tarantino and rodriguez make smoking cool

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
that's the thing though, you spend 2 hours watching the movie, really get into it, forget the rest, and then when it's done, back to reality.

plus, to further prove your point ;) tarantino and rodriguez make smoking cool
Well as long as it's just a fantasy it does no harm, but when you see people strutting around with their Al Pacino-with-a-gun avatars and matching signatures and raving about gangsters it does make one a little uneasy. Same thing with video games, as long as it's a game it's fine, but when it comes to a point where you wish you lived in the game, well.

On that note, there was a story in a Norwegian paper recently with the headline "far more smoking in Norwegian movies than artistically justifiable". Apparently the writing and the acting is so trash they're trying to make it more appealing by having them smoke all the time, 'cause that's what artists do'. :rolleyes:

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Well as long as it's just a fantasy it does no harm, but when you see people strutting around with their Al Pacino-with-a-gun avatars and matching signatures and raving about gangsters it does make one a little uneasy. Same thing with video games, as long as it's a game it's fine, but when it comes to a point where you wish you lived in the game, well.

On that note, there was a story in a Norwegian paper recently with the headline "far more smoking in Norwegian movies than artistically justifiable". Apparently the writing and the acting is so trash they're trying to make it more appealing by having them smoke all the time, 'cause that's what artists do'. :rolleyes:
Very well put.This is one of the reasons why so many of these kids think of Tony Montana as their idol.More than anything,its the desite to be cool.If they were in a real life ganster situation,they'd pee in their pants.They'd love to pretend that they are very macho however.Such kids dont make me uneasy..their naive little mindset just irritates me.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Very well put.This is one of the reasons why so many of these kids think of Tony Montana as their idol.More than anything,its the desite to be cool.If they were in a real life ganster situation,they'd pee in their pants.They'd love to pretend that they are very macho however.Such kids dont make me uneasy..their naive little mindset just irritates me.
But see that doesn't make it any better. Say that they were all macho and tough, then what? Would that be an improvement? Of course not.

This is a ridiculous facet of our culture that we're continuously incised to call people cowards and to what purpose? Everyone's a coward. It's a human quality, so why make a big deal out of it? You think if you're less scared than the next person you've achieved something in life? Please.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
A big deal should be made out of it because someone who hides behind the mask of macho-ism only to feed his own ego is an idiot.Im not evne talking about fear.Im talking about feeding one's own ego..which is what these idiotic kids too.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
A big deal should be made out of it because someone who hides behind the mask of macho-ism only to feed his own ego is an idiot.Im not evne talking about fear.Im talking about feeding one's own ego..which is what these idiotic kids too.
Cmon, we all do that, salman. When you know you're better than someone at something, doesn't that feed your ego? How many times have you looked down on someone because you know you're better than them in some way? Is that classy? Is that admirable? We all struggle with self esteem sometimes and we need these things to help us. If someone gets a kick out of watching a gangster movie, good for them. I find it disturbing when people glorify violence and oppression based on fiction when there is plenty of non-fictional violence and oppression in the world that isn't all that entertaining.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
There's a difference between walking with a puffed out chest because you're genuinly good at something,and walking with a puffed out chest because you PRETEND to be good at something.Both cases are common..the only difference is that the people who do the latter are idiots who will be exposed sooner or later.

And coming to movies,they will influence people.For better or for worse,they will do that.People will be inspired by Frank Serpico just the way they will be inspired by Hannibal Lecter.Yes people shouldnt glorify violence in real life because it takes place in fiction,but hey..maybe violence in real life is what makes it fictionalised.Had there been no violence in real life,maybe there wouldnt have been movies on it.Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)