Movies you've seen recently... (117 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm always pulling stuff out of the dust.

Last night I watched the original 1960 Psycho from end to end in the first time since I can't remember. The slasher scenes are of course cartoonish by today's horror flick standards. But a well put together movie.

(Also watching that movie, I forgot about more frivolous times in the U.S. when states issued new license plates each year with the year stamped on them...)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
I'm always pulling stuff out of the dust.

Last night I watched the original 1960 Psycho from end to end in the first time since I can't remember. The slasher scenes are of course cartoonish by today's horror flick standards. But a well put together movie.

(Also watching that movie, I forgot about more frivolous times in the U.S. when states issued new license plates each year with the year stamped on them...)
I saw the 1998 remake of that recently. It's the only example of Vince Vaughn's acting talent I'm aware of. (He seems to play the same charactor in all of his comedies).

I thought it was okay, but I haven't seen the original.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
OK -- something new this time. A nod to Altair's avatar? ;) I saw Good Night, and Good Luck tonight. Liked it, though I didn't love it.

I've always been engrossed by accounts of America's last great public witch hunt -- from HUAC and the Hollywood Ten (I've always been a fan of Dalton Trumbo, which will keep me from ever getting elected for public office), the High Noon metaphors for Carl Foreman, etc. So I was predisposed to like this, given the subject matter.

While released by a division of Warner Bros., this was produced as a low budget indie. A lot more cuts of b&w footage of McCarthy, etc., than I expected. No soundtrack, other than a woman singing jazz/blues all the time (which wouldn't have been so bad had it not reminded me of the superfluous piano singer who showed up on every episode of Ally McBeal I tried to avoid around friends).

Good acting. Decent direction (Stephen Soderberg). Three outta four stars, peeps.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
OK -- something new this time. A nod to Altair's avatar? ;) I saw Good Night, and Good Luck tonight. Liked it, though I didn't love it.

I've always been engrossed by accounts of America's last great public witch hunt -- from HUAC and the Hollywood Ten (I've always been a fan of Dalton Trumbo, which will keep me from ever getting elected for public office), the High Noon metaphors for Carl Foreman, etc. So I was predisposed to like this, given the subject matter.

While released by a division of Warner Bros., this was produced as a low budget indie. A lot more cuts of b&w footage of McCarthy, etc., than I expected. No soundtrack, other than a woman singing jazz/blues all the time (which wouldn't have been so bad had it not reminded me of the superfluous piano singer who showed up on every episode of Ally McBeal I tried to avoid around friends).

Good acting. Decent direction (Stephen Soderberg). Three outta four stars, peeps.
havent seen the movie yet... but hey wasnt it directed by clooney...which brings me to my question knowing how he is, how much did he politisize the issue relating it to now... in other words did he show much zeal in demonizing J-Ray

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
has anyone seen the 40 yr old virgin? trailer seemed funny but am afraid it will be just a waste of time and money.

I saw wicker park. I loved it.
its not bad, but if I had to recommend one funny movie for the year then it would have to be wedding crashers :thumb:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
earlier tonite i watched "kiss kiss, bang bang" trust me folks that's a real movie title, it features Downey Jr, Val Kilmer, and the beautiful Michelle Monaghan. The movie is very fast-paced, and i mean fast, with edgy humour. I really enjoyed kilmer who seemed to be on the decline as of late. So if you come across this funky title and are into sarcastic tirades give it a try ;)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Altair ] ++

havent seen the movie yet... but hey wasnt it directed by clooney...which brings me to my question knowing how he is, how much did he politisize the issue relating it to now... in other words did he show much zeal in demonizing J-Ray
Clooney handled it rather deftly, btw. Nothing was overt or obvious.

Unlike his frigging Lake Como mansion. Bastard. :fero: :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Whenever it is, I am gate crashing his place while he's out filming. He's going to come home to find me passed out on his sofa with my underwear around my head, 6 empty bottles of grappa, and a dozen hookers piled on top of me.

Now that's livin' the High Life my friend!

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Tifoso ] ++
Just saw Dogville

OUTSTANDING!!

amazing movie

So ****ing powerfull!!

I tell you guys that was something incredable .. one of a kind movie
It seems it is the first time you encounter a von Trier film. I advice you to start looking in the Danish film industry more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 117)