Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (91 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
The main reason I can't see it working is because anyone playing the lead is going to come off as being really cliche and cheesy. Unless it's someone of DiCaprio or Christian Bales calibre... Pacino's performance will be hard to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

Mystic River

Thought it was supposed to be some kinda cult classic, but it was lame as fuck. Maybe just didn't age well?

Juventus: First Team

Rewatched. First 3 episodes are good, the last 3 episodes are freakin epic.
I loved Mystic river but haven't seen it in about 10 years so maybe.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Only watched half of Capone and fell asleep not sure if I'll bother watching the rest.

Possibly Tom Hardys worst performance who I'm a massive fan of.

He hasnt chose his movies wisely over the last few years.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
This is probably only time I heard about anything remotely close to negative critique for Tom Hardy in movie choice or role. He has been pretty flawless most of the time. Even the Mad Max movie that was semi panned had him with strong stoic performance.

But seen trailer for Capone, it looks kinda ridiculous in cartoony type of way.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
If you like Tom Hardy check out Dunkirk and The Revenant
I've seen everything he has ever been in.

His best performance is in Locke, Bronson and a TV series called The Take.

- - - Updated - - -

This is probably only time I heard about anything remotely close to negative critique for Tom Hardy in movie choice or role. He has been pretty flawless most of the time. Even the Mad Max movie that was semi panned had him with strong stoic performance.

But seen trailer for Capone, it looks kinda ridiculous in cartoony type of way.
He is in my top 5 favourite actors but this is a poor performance. I'll go back and have another watch but haven't been impressed so far.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
At Eternity's Gate (2018)

It's a Van Gogh 'biopic' about the painter's final years. Movie is directed by Julian Schnabel who identifies as painter first and director second, without much moviemaking experience. We're talking about a movie that has added layers of personalty and individuality to it because the 'source material' meant a lot to the creator while maybe some technical aspects remain in a lovable way unpolished. So we are looking maybe at some passages here and there that are stretched out or left out, which aren't typical for the genre but this is how he sees and tells the story, similar to how his protagonist views and paints nature. Expect a quiet, slow-paced movie with orgasmic photography (remember Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate ) and little plot besides the painter's internal struggle and deliberations about art, debates that Willem Dafoe playing Van Gogh masterfully portrays in scenes with Oscar Isaac who plays Gauguin, Mads Mikkelsen playing a cocky priest and others. The viewing experience culminates in a certain feeling of regret about having spent hundreds of hours watching illiterate imbeciles kick a ball instead of sitting in nature, looking at the same tree and being excited that this particular sunray crosses the branches just a little differently than yesterday and you are gifted a view you have never seen before. And I never even particularly loved Van Gogh.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
At Eternity's Gate (2018)

It's a Van Gogh 'biopic' about the painter's final years. Movie is directed by Julian Schnabel who identifies as painter first and director second, without much moviemaking experience. We're talking about a movie that has added layers of personalty and individuality to it because the 'source material' meant a lot to the creator while maybe some technical aspects remain in a lovable way unpolished. So we are looking maybe at some passages here and there that are stretched out or left out, which aren't typical for the genre but this is how he sees and tells the story, similar to how his protagonist views and paints nature. Expect a quiet, slow-paced movie with orgasmic photography (remember Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate ) and little plot besides the painter's internal struggle and deliberations about art, debates that Willem Dafoe playing Van Gogh masterfully portrays in scenes with Oscar Isaac who plays Gauguin, Mads Mikkelsen playing a cocky priest and others. The viewing experience culminates in a certain feeling of regret about having spent hundreds of hours watching illiterate imbeciles kick a ball instead of sitting in nature, looking at the same tree and being excited that this particular sunray crosses the branches just a little differently than yesterday and you are gifted a view you have never seen before. And I never even particularly loved Van Gogh.
I just finished watching it. Gotta say I didn't like the camera at start but it grew on me. It also felt like 50 minutes movie, despite being slow paced. I think it was really well done, left big impressions and I found it really enjoyable to sit back with a cup of coffee and watch it.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I just finished watching it. Gotta say I didn't like the camera at start but it grew on me. It also felt like 50 minutes movie, despite being slow paced. I think it was really well done, left big impressions and I found it really enjoyable to sit back with a cup of coffee and watch it.
Same, i hated the shaky cam but then at some point it didn't bother me anymore. Thanks for watching :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 89)