Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (33 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Been on a Korean movie binge.

The chaser
Memories of a murder
Parasite

Enjoyed them all but didn't quite understand the ending to memories of a murder would like to hear someone else's interpretation.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I finally found a stream in pretty good quality for The Lighthouse :tup:

EDIT: It's not as good as I thought, but it's not too bad either. There's worse

Last edited:

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
The Lighthouse might be one of my favourite movies especially for its style. Dafoe knocks it out of the park. Pattinson was great too. The cinematography is superb and the movie is captivating.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Watched The Irishman last night. Overrated as heck.
:agree:

It's a good film, with some major issues. The biggest one for me was de-aging and the uncanny valley regarding De Niro.

The de-aging tech worked well for faces (De Niro's was the worst, as his face weirdly almost glowed at times, but still wasn't bad).... but De Niro looked like a 70 year old man with a young face. Old man posture, hunched shoulders, a little stooped, slow movement. The couple scenes of his time in the army, and then when he was a young truck driver, and then a young father beating up the grocer. It just looked silly. He moved like an old fogey. Maybe if I hadn't seen De Niro in his younger days, I wouldn't find it to be so out-of-place, but if you have seen De Niro as Travis Bickle, Jake LaMotta, Mike Vronsky, Johnny Boy, Jimmy the Gent, Sam Rothstein, etc... and remember how physically imposing he was, remember his presence, it just feels strange seeing him supposed to be a war veteran in his 30s-40s for a decent portion of the film, and have none of that presence.

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:agree:

It's a good film, with some major issues. The biggest one for me was de-aging and the uncanny valley regarding De Niro.

The de-aging tech worked well for faces (De Niro's was the worst, as his face weirdly almost glowed at times, but still wasn't bad).... but De Niro looked like a 70 year old man with a young face. Old man posture, hunched shoulders, a little stooped, slow movement. The couple scenes of his time in the army, and then when he was a young truck driver, and then a young father beating up the grocer. It just looked silly. He moved like an old fogey. Maybe if I hadn't seen De Niro in his younger days, I wouldn't find it to be so out-of-place, but if you have seen De Niro as Travis Bickle, Jake LaMotta, Mike Vronsky, Johnny Boy, Jimmy the Gent, Sam Rothstein, etc... and remember how physically imposing he was, remember his presence, it just feels strange seeing him supposed to be a war veteran in his 30s-40s for a decent portion of the film, and have none of presence.
That was so bad... the worst scene. Still, it's something I can walk over.

I didn't get the hype. Yeah, it's not a bad movie and it's not boring either (it did have boring moments, though). But the story itself could have been told in 2 hours. It had no layers and it lacked a better pace. Acting was fine although nothing extraordinary. I've seen A LOT better performances from all (Al Pacino, De Niro and Joe Pesci). Hell, even Scorsese himself made better movies (but yeah, I even find him overrated as a director). To me it was a 7/10 movie which I wouldn't even recommend to people and far from a must-see movie. Three and a half hours for that? Meh. I think it's overhyped just because of the big names.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
That was so bad... the worst scene. Still, it's something I can walk over.

I didn't get the hype. Yeah, it's not a bad movie and it's not boring either (it did have boring moments, though). But the story itself could have been told in 2 hours. It had no layers and it lacked a better pace. Acting was fine although nothing extraordinary. I've seen A LOT better performances from all (Al Pacino, De Niro and Joe Pesci). Hell, even Scorsese himself made better movies (but yeah, I even find him overrated as a director). To me it was a 7/10 movie which I wouldn't even recommend to people and far from a must-see movie. Three and a half hours for that? Meh. I think it's overhyped just because of the big names.
First act was engaging, the second act was boring and meandering, and the final act was great.
Overall, it's a good movie, but a little over indulgent imo.
That one scene though, you know which one, was just incredible however. One of my favorite scenes of all time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 24)