Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (70 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Dangal was predictable, as real life sports drama tend to be, but it's old school in its style and yeah really entertaining. They didnt rush through it and really showed the nuanced way these girls went through hell for daddies heartwarming approval.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Dangal was predictable, as real life sports drama tend to be, but it's old school in its style and yeah really entertaining. They didnt rush through it and really showed the nuanced way these girls went through hell for daddies heartwarming approval.
:agree: it's worth of watching. I liked it.

But seriously, is it some kind of Indian thing that they have those... songs... throughout the whole movie?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
:agree: it's worth of watching. I liked it.

But seriously, is it some kind of Indian thing that they have those... songs... throughout the whole movie?
Hahah, very much so. Deeply entwined with their entertainment culture. Btw Dangal is a serious drama for indian movies (outside bollywood sphere, think it's made by Disney india), so it's not even any hint of musical and more just more of heavy use of movie soundtrack in scenes. While actual typical Bollywood blockbuster movie productions, even those about serious topics, have flown blown musical acts randomly within the story every 10 to 20 minutes sometimes.

If Dangal was a bollywood flick, the father and his daughters, all opponents and side characters would have had sudden outburts of dancing and singing between key acts.

They really really really really really big on musicals.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Daaamn, what a great two piece of brilliant cinema (pretty much saved the cinema year for me lol). The 2nd movie for viewing was another one I didnt know about (too lazy for cinema nowadays, so settle for tv or books half the time) even tho I used to be up to date with Korean cinema, this is apparently oscar nominated, tho I barely check anymore for nominations. Needless to say, I loved Jojo Rabbit, but it was the film of the year for me for just 2 hours :oops2:

Parasite :delpiero:(Honestly, stop reading right now, not because I'm about to spoiler anything, but its a movie perfectly viewed just not knowing anything about, just the name parasite, and go see it).

Absolutely haunting and obsessively brilliant thriller of a story that has you experiencing the complete roller coaster range of emotions for these very human characters. Psychotic and bleakly depressing class warfare. SO MANY captivating scene stealers for just one movie. Cant even describe it fully, feels like its not enough to call it masterpiece, its exceptionally close to perfect cinema piece.

Huge visual spoiler to watch this, but mainly interesting technical review (basically nothing about the story).

This was me throughout the whole movie:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
:agree:

Parasite and The Lighthouse are my favourite two movies of 2019 that I have seen so far. After that would be Malick’s A Hidden Life.

Jojo Rabbit was great too. So entertaining. I fucking love Taika Waititi. Dude is a genius

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks for reminding me. I want to see The Light house. Cerval sent me a stream link while back when it wasnt out in sweden yet, but link was a semi - dud quality wise. But now I checked and its out in my closest cinema.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
My prediction of Star Wars will be that everybody will say how good it is for the first few weeks then the hype will stop and people will realise it wasn't very good.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Disney is terrible and has destroyed the franchise
Try re-watching old SW movies. It's not like they are amazing or something.

My prediction of Star Wars will be that everybody will say how good it is for the first few weeks then the hype will stop and people will realise it wasn't very good.
People exaggerate when it comes to SW. Sure it had flaws and holes but people make it out to be shit which it wasn't.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Try re-watching old SW movies. It's not like they are amazing or something.
The original trilogy is timeless. No wonder those are cult movies, they created a fascinating world. The prequels are not perfect but at least they adhere to the universe Lucas has built and make us see another side. Plus what I've liked about those is that they expanded on the Force and the Jedi order and the third film is solid.

I've read a few of the books when I was younger as well which used to be considered cannon and most of them were great reads. Some memorable even (for example The Traitor by Matthew Stover if I recall)

Disney's trilogy is shallow. They don't respect what was built as a Universe. It's pretty apparent that they work on those with an outsider perspective and it looks like a fan fiction that tries to reproduce parallels with the original trilogy. They banked on the nostalgia trip.

My bad for the rant.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The original trilogy is timeless. No wonder those are cult movies, they created a fascinating world. The prequels are not perfect but at least they adhere to the universe Lucas has built and make us see another side. Plus what I've liked about those is that they expanded on the Force and the Jedi order and the third film is solid.

I've read a few of the books when I was younger as well which used to be considered cannon and most of them were great reads. Some memorable even (for example The Traitor by Matthew Stover if I recall)

Disney's trilogy is shallow. They don't respect what was built as a Universe. It's pretty apparent that they work on those with an outsider perspective and it looks like a fan fiction that tries to reproduce parallels with the original trilogy. They banked on the nostalgia trip.

My bad for the rant.
They did create a fascinating world, but it was not a new invention, those ideas (or at least huge chunk of it) already existed.

To me, those old movies are just average. They are also quite childish. I believe it's just that the movie came out as something new, which held the reputation high. Nowadays when you see it it's nothing special really, unlike some other movies from 50s, 60s that are actually timeless. There are plenty of "cult" movies which are just bad also.

Eh, I'm not saying it's dogshit. But it's rather silly to say how old movies were fantastic and new ones are shit.

I also read some SW books. It indeed is a great world but there's no huge depth in it. There's no depth in the old trilogy as well, let's not kid ourselves.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
New ones are a soulless, shallow cashgrab as far as i'm concerned. But whatever suits you.
And you think the old ones weren't shallow? What exactly had depth?

Cash grab? Funny how people laugh at the new toys, yet the old SW actually made Ewoks which is far worse.

Whatever suits you. It was usually you who used to claim how it's just my opinion, yet you think your opinion is right. I surely have read plenty of reviews, not even critics but huge SW fanatics, and plenty of those folk agree with me.

So, whatever suits you. :rolleyes:

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
They did create a fascinating world, but it was not a new invention, those ideas (or at least huge chunk of it) already existed.

To me, those old movies are just average. They are also quite childish. I believe it's just that the movie came out as something new, which held the reputation high. Nowadays when you see it it's nothing special really, unlike some other movies from 50s, 60s that are actually timeless. There are plenty of "cult" movies which are just bad also.

Eh, I'm not saying it's dogshit. But it's rather silly to say how old movies were fantastic and new ones are shit.

I also read some SW books. It indeed is a great world but there's no huge depth in it. There's no depth in the old trilogy as well, let's not kid ourselves.
How would you rate the new movies?

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I remember being excited for number 7. I went to watch it with my father which loved the original trilogy when it came out. I feel physically unable to rewatch that shit. If they were not branded as Star Wars they'd be seen as something alike Guardians of the Galaxy.

Star Wars (in order of my personal rank)

IV
V
VI
R1
VII
III
I
II
VIII
You prefer a movie with Rey and Kylo Ren to Star Wars III ? :D

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I remember being excited for number 7. I went to watch it with my father which loved the original trilogy when it came out. I feel physically unable to rewatch that shit. If they were not branded as Star Wars they'd be seen as something alike Guardians of the Galaxy.

You prefer a movie with Rey and Kylo Ren to Star Wars III ? :D
Yes :)
VII is soulless
III is soulless and poorly made

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 70)