Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (72 Viewers)

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
I've finally seen "The Favourite". Wow, it was amazing! I think it's definitely my favorite Lanthimos's movie, for me it's a true masterpiece. The three actresses are sublime, and without doubt is the best performance of Emma Stone's career so far (it's good to see her like that, after that thing called La La Land)...but my favourite has been Rachel Weisz, who literally eats the screen.
Another of its strengths is the careful staging, risking in amazing planes (a panoramic that is so forced that generates a brutal sensation) that recreate an oppressive atmosphere in each tour of the palace, accompanied by that fantastic music that sounds in the moment that has to sound.
Simply fantastic (I think the retractors of Lanthimos are going to surrender to this one). The best film of 2018 that I saw so far, can only be dethroned by Suspiria de Luca Guadagnino that I'll watch it in the cinema in a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Really enjoyed Green book.

Viggo Mortensen is just amazing.
Great actor. Have you seen "A History of Violence" and "Eastern Promises"?

Last edited:

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Has anyone seen the short film "La Femme qui se Poudre"? It looks creepy.

metropolis is great, fritz lang was a perfectionist.i watched only this expressionist film from this era of the german cinema, maybe will watch nosferatu and this caligari thing. did you watch any?
Yes, I have seen both, and in fact I could recommend other Conrad Veidt films :heart:, as well as "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Nosferatu is a bit overrated for me (although I adore that type of films), but surely you will like it, so watch it too.
There are very good movies: Orlacs Hände, Sunrise, Der Gang in die Nacht, Vampyr, Dr. Mabuse, Phantom, Faust, Der Letzte Mann, Der Student von Prag, etc ... But start with Caligari, it's wonderful.

But surely @lgorTudor can recommend you better movies.

Jun 7, 2003
Has anyone seen the short film "La Femme qui se Poudre"? It looks creepy.

Yes, I have seen both, and in fact I could recommend other Conrad Veidt films :heart:, as well as "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Nosferatu is a bit overrated for me (although I adore that type of films), but surely you will like it, so watch it too.
There are very good movies: Orlacs Hände, Sunrise, Der Gang in die Nacht, Vampyr, Dr. Mabuse, Phantom, Faust, Der Letzte Mann, Der Student von Prag, etc ... But start with Caligari, it's wonderful.

But surely @lgorTudor can recommend you better movies.
watched some time ago "joan d'arc" from the director of vampyr...yeah just have to find some time before watching all these movies. googled blablabla poudre looks indeed creepy

Last edited:

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
watched some time ago "joan d'arc" from the director of vampyr...yeah just have to find some time before watching all these movies. googled blablabla poudre looks indeed creepy
:tup:.

I just found it on YouTube but it seems that it's not complete, it's an edition. It reminded me of Eraserhead, I don't know why. It's definitely creepy.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Lobster and You Were Never Really Here. Either any good?

Reviews seem mixed.
Yeah, it's hard to listen to other people when it comes down to those two films.

Personally, I watched both. Personally, I think both are horrible piece of shit. Absolutely disgusting. Lobster was one of the worst movies I ever saw while the other one is just... a huge waste of time and incredibly boring.

But like I said, some people enjoyed both. I certainly can't understand those people but oh well. As long as they enjoyed it and as long as I learned my lesson by watching them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 65)