Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (32 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I didn't like it either.

On the other hand, I loved Tarr's Werckmeister harmóniák. I think that's a brilliant movie and a real piece of art.
:heart:

By the way. I thought the exact same about The Shape of Water. A movie for future nostalgia that was enjoyable, but little too predictable and lacking something to make it a masterpiece. Pan's Labyrinth, for example, was a much better film from him.

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished watching The Turin Horse. It was black and boring - had to pull out my smartphone multiple times to make it through

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a must see, since In Bruges is one of my absolute favorites.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Colin Farrell is so good in that film. He's at his best in strange, kind of eccentric, roles.

He's absolutely brilliant in The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Still waiting for this.
My Top 25 of 2017.

Best Film:
1)Call Me By Your Name ~ Luca Guadagnino

My Other Favourites:
2)Honeygiver Among the Dogs ~ Dechen Roder
3)Three Billboards Outside Ebbings Missouri ~ Martin McDonagh
4)Loveless ~ Andrey Zvyagintsev
5)Lucky ~John Carroll Lynch
6)Zama ~ Lucrecia Martel
7)On Body and Soul ~ Ildiko Enyedi
8)The Killing of a Sacred Deer ~ Yorgos Lanthimos
9)Pomegranate Orchard ~ Ilgar Najaf
10)Wind River ~ Taylor Sheridan
11)God’s Own Country ~ Francis Lee
12)Dede ~ Mariam Khatchvani
13)Scary Mother ~ Ana Urushadze
14)The Square ~ Ruben Ostlund
15)Dunkirk ~ Christopher Nolan

Several more very good films:
16) Blade Runner 2049 ~ Denis Villeneuve
17) Lady Bird ~ Greta Gerwig
18) Get Out ~ Jordan Peele
19) A Fantastic Woman ~ Sebastian Lelio
20) A Man of Integrity ~ Mohammad Rasoulof
21) Thelma ~ Joachim Trier
22) Western ~ Valeska Grisebach
23) The Shape of Water ~ Guillermo del Toro
24) On The Beach At Night Alone ~ Hong Sang-Soo
25) Requiem For Mrs J. ~ Bojan Vuletic

Last edited:

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Sounds dumb, but I've heard the Japanese novel this is based on is actually very good. The movie in a way is a poor mans Source Code and you know you loved that one

- - - Updated - - -

Have you seen Source Code?
Yes and this movie was better. Jake Gylenhall is one of my favourite actors and i like the movie but i dont think it was as good. Try it.

Just finished the Blade Runner really enjoyed it but think it was about 30 mins too long.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
My Top 25 of 2017.

Best Film:
1)Call Me By Your Name ~ Luca Guadagnino

My Other Favourites:
2)On Body and Soul ~ Ildeko Enyedi
3)Three Billboards Outside Ebbings Missouri ~ Martin McDonagh
4)Loveless ~ Andrey Zvyagintsev
5)Lucky ~John Carroll Lynch
6)Zama ~ Lucrecia Martel
7)God's Own Country ~ Francis Lee
8)The Killing of a Sacred Deer ~ Yorgos Lanthimos
9)Pomegranate Orchard ~ Ilgar Najaf
10)Wind River ~ Taylor Sheridan
11)Dede ~ Mariam Khatchvani
12)Honeygiver Among the Dogs ~ Dechen Roder
13)Scary Mother ~ Ana Urushadze
14)The Square ~ Ruben Ostlund
15)Dunkirk ~ Christopher Nolan

Several more very good films:
16)The Shape Of Water ~ Guillermo Del Toro
17)Get Out ~ Jordan Peele
18)A Fantastic Woman ~ Sebastian Lelio
19)A Man of Integrity ~ Mohammad Rasoulof
20)Blade Runner 2049 ~ Denis Villeneuve
21)Thelma ~ Joachim Trier
22)Western ~ Valeska Grisebach
23)On The Beach At Night Alone ~ Hong Sang-Soo
24)Requiem For Mrs J. ~ Bojan Vuletic
25)The Other Side of Hope ~ Aki Kaurismaki
No Brawl in Cell Block 99? :disagree:

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Seen that one too. I enjoyed CellBlock 99...simple but it never attempted to be anything that it wasn't. Knew its strengths and stuck to them
It was a mix between slapstick and drama some of the fight scenes were similar tonwhat you seen of the old batman tv series. Then there were actions by characters that just did not make any sense, there were funny moments and ridiculous special effects but then again some dark depressing moments and some quality acting. Ah it was just fucked up :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

@Post Ironic @Dostoevsky @lgorTudor @

- - - Updated - - -

tumblr_m7n9xtvJ9K1qi4uu3.gif
I love such videos. You can clearly see how he's honest when speaking, it's what he truly means. And, sadly, it's what's true nowadays.

Here's what I don't like, though. The hypocrisy. Hollywood is total shit in majority of the cases. But that doesn't mean that good movies don't exist, right? Even today, when there are shitload of stupid and pointless movies, you can still see plenty of good stuff. But you don't cause you don't watch foreign movies or stuff that's underground, stuff that comes out from the movie festivals. His point is really strong, and I agree with majority of what he says, but why doesn't he do something about it? He's a well known actor. He's surely in a position to pick a movie and and decide which role to take. He doesn't do that but he follows the money and movies that he spits on later on. I mean... why? Yeah, Avengers would give him 5-10mln to be in it. But he can still live in a great way if he decides to accept some low paid role but something that he truly belives in and something that will leave a mark on the whole history of movies. He will get paid less, yes, but he will still be above the average pay guy in the US. Or somewhere else.

Harrison Ford was paid like 10k dollars to act in the first SW movie. But that's just a silly example. He has a lot of money to live for a hundred more year. Why doesn't he make a movie? Many actors nowadays take such role. Hell, if you think you can make an instant classic why don't you go for it? I kinda refuse to believe they wouldn't make good quality movies nowadays, it's just that they don't have creativity anymore and they are out of ideas. If he doesn't care about the money then make some outstanding art, at least he's in a position to do so, no? Instead he complains (while telling the absolute truth) and then accepts the next shit movie like Avangers to get more millions. That's just BS imo.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
The oscars suck dick so frustating

Blade runner badly over looked. 3 billboards no nom for best directer. Hanks and Franco no noms either.

Hope nolan wins best directer but he will surely get fucked for something lame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)