Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (99 Viewers)

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Well, Kyle said they get famous actors on board to get funding, and you mentioned Apocalypto as a counter-example.

The studios greenlight the project with the main actors as part of the deal. They don't give Ridley Scott $140M and tell him to cast whoever he wants.

I mean, someone with Will Smith or Denzel Washington's star power could have got the picture financed as well, but though that might have been nice to see something else than 'white' Egyptians, that wouldn't necessarily have been more accurate: "We are mostly limited to the subjective statements of Egyptians and the outsiders who depicted them, which suggest that majority of people of pharaonic Egypt were neither white nor black, by modern standards." http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...e_ancient_egyptians_white_black_or_brown.html

Though I'd also prefer more authentic actors, it's just difficult to do within the studio system. Having that said, I really think the actors were one of the smallest problems with Exodus. :D
Im ona road trip driving right now and cant really make a long trply ill reply later

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011

- - - Updated - - -

We know need someone to fill the shoes of pamela anderson , I feel that brooklyn decker can get the job done :D . Unfortunately she is not mentioned anywhere , at the moment it seems they are negotiating with nina dobrev which is seriously lacking in the tits deparment .

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
Das it, Gerdy boy!

- - - Updated - - -

Bridge of Spies - Too tame and predictable.
It's been so long I lost my train of thought :D Sorry too busy to reply earlier. But anyway, my comparison with Apocalypto was regarding their trying to be as accurate as possible (of course it can never be fully accurate). I didn't know that was financed by Mel Gibson himself/or his company, so I see that that explains why he managed to hire nothing but local, if you will, unknown actors and get away with it.

In Gods of Egypt's case, my point still stands, Although nobody knows for certain how dark ancient Egyptians were, based on drawings and heavy study we undoubtedly know they were nothing close to fair skin people as Hollywood been trying to shove down our throats for decades (Exodus was just as ridiculous and don't get me started with a white Cleopatra). Egyptians were dark, if not Black, but dark skinned nonetheless. So imo playing the likes of Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, etc... it would be undoubtedly a much better move towards being accurate than the other extreme end of the spectrum which is playing light skin actors in the roles of African people. It's offensive and disrespectful and this is coming from a white guy. I'll skip this one, thanks.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
It's been so long I lost my train of thought :D Sorry too busy to reply earlier. But anyway, my comparison with Apocalypto was regarding their trying to be as accurate as possible (of course it can never be fully accurate). I didn't know that was financed by Mel Gibson himself/or his company, so I see that that explains why he managed to hire nothing but local, if you will, unknown actors and get away with it.

In Gods of Egypt's case, my point still stands, Although nobody knows for certain how dark ancient Egyptians were, based on drawings and heavy study we undoubtedly know they were nothing close to fair skin people as Hollywood been trying to shove down our throats for decades (Exodus was just as ridiculous and don't get me started with a white Cleopatra). Egyptians were dark, if not Black, but dark skinned nonetheless. So imo playing the likes of Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, etc... it would be undoubtedly a much better move towards being accurate than the other extreme end of the spectrum which is playing light skin actors in the roles of African people. It's offensive and disrespectful and this is coming from a white guy. I'll skip this one, thanks.
Cleopatra's ancestors are Macedonian. She's probably mixed race, but she's definitely at least part white.

I'm not saying that I think the ancient Egyptians (when Exodus takes place, not when Cleopatra lived) looked anything like Christian Bale or Joel Edgerton. Of course not. I just doubt they looked like Denzel Washington or Morgan Freeman either. There seem to be conflicting studies regarding this though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_race_controversy#Historical_hypotheses. The logical thing would be to assume that the ancient Egyptians were somewhat similar to the Egyptians today.

I don't know if it would be better with someone like Denzel Washington portraying ancient Egyptians. It'd probably be more fair considering the amount of white actors portraying Egyptians in the past. I'd definitely give you that. It'd be ideal to see someone of Egyptian heritage portray Egyptians though.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a stupid discussion though. :D

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
Cleopatra's ancestors are Macedonian. She's probably mixed race, but she's definitely at least part white.

I'm not saying that I think the ancient Egyptians (when Exodus takes place, not when Cleopatra lived) looked anything like Christian Bale or Joel Edgerton. Of course not. I just doubt they looked like Denzel Washington or Morgan Freeman either. There seem to be conflicting studies regarding this though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_race_controversy#Historical_hypotheses. The logical thing would be to assume that the ancient Egyptians were somewhat similar to the Egyptians today.

I don't know if it would be better with someone like Denzel Washington portraying ancient Egyptians. It'd probably be more fair considering the amount of white actors portraying Egyptians in the past. I'd definitely give you that. It'd be ideal to see someone of Egyptian heritage portray Egyptians though.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a stupid discussion though. :D
Based on drawings we could say she was dark skinned as well.

Man, that caucasion theory :lol: To me it's so ridiculous it has to be up there with the whole "Aryans came from another planet" :D

Yes, the movie is so garbage it doesn't deserve the breath we're wasting over it. Agreed :D

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Man, that caucasion theory :lol: To me it's so ridiculous it has to be up there with the whole "Aryans came from another planet" :D

Yes, the movie is so garbage it doesn't deserve the breath we're wasting over it. Agreed :D
Yeah, it's kind of interesting and sad how the researchers are desperate to portray the Egyptians as either white or black because of the slavery. Speaking of race at this point in time doesn't really make a lot of sense, but it does create an interesting problem when it comes to movies portraying ancient people.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
Yeah, it's kind of interesting and sad how the researchers are desperate to portray the Egyptians as either white or black because of the slavery. Speaking of race at this point in time doesn't really make a lot of sense, but it does create an interesting problem when it comes to movies portraying ancient people.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
Who would win the battle?

I'd vote for black God/Jesus. He most likely grew up in the projects and life taugh him how to be tough.

Gold haired blue-eyed Jesus looks like a pussy dude who was spoiled by his parents and sucked on a binky til he was 14 and still can only sleep hugging on his teddy bear named Fluffy.

:D
@Post Ironic

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Who would win the battle?

I'd vote for black God/Jesus. He most likely grew up in the projects and life taugh him how to be tough.

Gold haired blue-eyed Jesus looks like a pussy dude who was spoiled by his parents and sucked on a binky til he was 14 and still can only sleep hugging on his teddy bear named Fluffy.

:D
@Post Ironic
:rofl: :agree:

That image.

This image.

27-DSC_3646.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 94)