Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (44 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
It won 4 oscars. But deserved at least another couple imo for adpated screenplay, directing, leading actor for Ralph Fiennes and possibly best picture. At least it won 4 and thats 3 more than that piece of shit move Boyhood :weee:
I actualy didn't rate Fiennes' performance in The Grand Budapest Hotel as highly as most of you here. Maybe he deserved a nomination, but e.g. Keaton in Birdman was much more impressive imo (haven't seen Theory of Everything).

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I actualy didn't rate Fiennes' performance in The Grand Budapest Hotel as highly as most of you here. Maybe he deserved a nomination, but e.g. Keaton in Birdman was much more impressive imo (haven't seen Theory of Everything).
This. Fiennes deserved a nomination, but Keaton in Birdman was the clear top performance of the year imo. It didn't help though that it was a somewhat comedic role, however dark.

Eddie Redmayne gave a good performance in Theory of Everything, I just don't think it was an oscar-worthy performance. The Academy Awards have always had an obsession with portrayal of disability, so it makes sense that he won.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
This. Fiennes deserved a nomination, but Keaton in Birdman was the clear top performance of the year imo. It didn't help though that it was a somewhat comedic role, however dark.

Eddie Redmayne gave a good performance in Theory of Everything, I just don't think it was an oscar-worthy performance. The Academy Awards have always had an obsession with portrayal of disability, so it makes sense that he won.
The King's Speech says Hi :D

About Keaton, one of the reasons his performance has impressed me so much is exactly the range he's working with, going from comedic elements to the actual rather tragic psychological state of his character. Sure, he's got a great script to work with in that regard, but it's his performance that makes themany layers of Riggan work ultimately. Add to that his great interplay with Norton, their scenes together are easily among my highlights of the movie. Norton certainly deserves the credit he got here as well imo, though I can't complain about Simmons winning it either.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
"Apparently, Edward Snowden couldn't be here for some treason". :lol:
I've been meaning to see CitizenFour even before it was nominated.

Originally I had some doubts about Snowden and his motivations, but over time - as more gets revealed - I've come to see him as a much bigger patriot than traitor.

icemaη;4832725 said:
Did Grand Budapest Hotel win anything meaningful? It was my favorite movie of the year.
Yeah, mine too. Birdman had its artistic merits, but perhaps I am not hipster enough. :D

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The King's Speech says Hi :D

About Keaton, one of the reasons his performance has impressed me so much is exactly the range he's working with, going from comedic elements to the actual rather tragic psychological state of his character. Sure, he's got a great script to work with in that regard, but it's his performance that makes themany layers of Riggan work ultimately. Add to that his great interplay with Norton, their scenes together are easily among my highlights of the movie. Norton certainly deserves the credit he got here as well imo, though I can't complain about Simmons winning it either.
That's exactly it. The versatility and range he portrays in Birdman is very impressive. It's one of the things I've always been most impressed by with Keaton, his ability to blend comedic-dramatic-tragic elements together, and then shift between extremes of each state fluidly. He's always had that ability, although this is the first film since the mid-90s where a director has fully made use of it. I'd almost call his acting "neurotic" at times. It makes each of the elements (comedic-dramatic-tragic) a little more subtle, and imbues his characters and their stories with a little more depth. I suppose all of the above is why I'm a little disappointed he didn't win for the role. It might just be a once-in-a-lifetime role for him, where he's not typecast into the supporting role guy, somewhat comedic, a little crazy, a little tragic. He really did deserve to win.

Norton and Keaton had electric chemistry together on-screen in this film. It was just brilliant. I like Simmons winning best supporting, but Norton was my second choice.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
should i force myself and watch birdman? i have it on my pc for a month now but i cannot find the motivation to see it.

watched theory of everything though, very good. started watching the movie without knowing it's about hawking

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I don't even think Fiennes deserved a nomination. Picking from the mainstream performances, I prefer Keaton, Redmayne, Gyllenhaal, Oyelowo, Carrell and Cumberbatch this year. :D

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Fiennes, Gyllenhaal and Tom Hardy in Locke were my favourite performances in a leading role this year followed closly by Keaton, Joaqin Pheonix (inherent Vice) and even McConaughy (intersteller)...

But in my opinion the overall best performance this year leading or supporting was J.K Simmons for Whiplash.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
should i force myself and watch birdman? i have it on my pc for a month now but i cannot find the motivation to see it.

watched theory of everything though, very good. started watching the movie without knowing it's about hawking
It's worth watching, but it probably won't be what you expect.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I don't even think Fiennes deserved a nomination. Picking from the mainstream performances, I prefer Keaton, Redmayne, Gyllenhaal, Oyelowo, Carrell and $#@!berbatch this year. :D
I agree with this, aside from exchanging Fiennes for Cumberbatch. Just not a fan of his. I might add Joaquin Phoenix in too. Inherent Vice was disappointing, but he was very good in it.

Who would you add from non-mainstream?

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I agree with this, aside from exchanging Fiennes for Cumberbatch. Just not a fan of his. I might add Joaquin Phoenix in too. Inherent Vice was disappointing, but he was very good in it.

Who would you add from non-mainstream?
Even if you leave out Fiennes, there are still 5 names on the list. Btw, you can turn off the profanity filter so you can actually read Cumberbatch's name. :D

Regarding the non-mainstreams ones, that's a good question. I kind of wrote what I did so I wouldn't have to think about it. :D

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I've been meaning to see CitizenFour even before it was nominated.

Originally I had some doubts about Snowden and his motivations, but over time - as more gets revealed - I've come to see him as a much bigger patriot than traitor.
Yeah, dude's a hero. No doubt about that. I just thought the joke was good.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Birdman was great imo. Pretty damn unique, great acting as well.
Beside WTF, this is the best description of the movie :D I've just finished it and decided to google it, to see did I missed some kind of the point :D

The way it's filmed, and acting are terrific, but that's it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)