Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (51 Viewers)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Insidious... I had low expectations as I always do for films of the horror genre, and it was turning out how I expected- a bunch of scary demons jumping out of corners to scare you. And even at that it was slow. But then it took an interesting turn and astral travel was the theme, which was cool for me. That's something new for a movie. It wasn't a very exciting or thrilling movie but I was mildly entertained.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
A lot of people seem to like Equilibrium. Weird, I absolutely hated it.

No One Knows About Persian Cats - Well worth watching, really interesting. Uplifting & sad at the same time.

Other than that, it was chick flick time: Elizabethtown (unlike most people, I like it), The Last Kiss (feels "true") & Bikini Girls on Ice (yeah, don't ask :shifty:)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Oh and speaking of Cannes festival,

Controversial Director Lars von Trier Banned From Cannes Film Festival

Following some rather colorful remarks from controversial Danish director Lars von Trier, the Cannes Film Festival declared him a persona non grata on Thursday (May 19), according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Von Trier raised more than a few eyebrows when he made some off-the-cuff comments at the press conference for his new film 'Melancholia' starring Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg. A verbal jab at fellow Danish filmmaker and rival Susanne Bier somehow mutated into an anti-Semitic rant in which he claimed that he is "actually a Nazi," he "sympathize with [Hitler] a bit" and him macabrely joking about his next film, "We Nazis like to do things on a big scale. Maybe I could do 'The Final Solution.'"

His dark sense of humor was clearly lost on Cannes' board of directors, who, despite a swift apology from the director, held a meeting today and voted to blacklist von Trier from the festival. In a statement they said, "The board of directors profoundly regrets that this forum has been used by Lars von Trier to express comments that are unacceptable, intolerable, and contrary to the ideals of humanity and generosity that preside over the very existence of the festival. The Board of Directors firmly condemns these comments and declares Lars von Trier a persona non grata at the Festival de Cannes, with effect immediately."

Shortly after the press conference, Von Trier issued a statement: "If I have hurt someone by the words I said at the press conference, I sincerely apologize. I am not anti-Semitic or racially prejudiced in any way, nor am I a Nazi."

It wasn't the only comment that had people squirming at the junket. He also made Dunst visibly uncomfortable when he put his star's personal life on blast, saying, "I would say Kirsten, thank god, has some knowledge of depression. We talked a lot about how things should look and I think she is doing extremely well." Dunst went to rehab for depression in 2008.

Von Trier is famous for making critically acclaimed, but incredibly dark and oft controversial, films such as 'Breaking the Waves,' 'Dogville' and 'Dancer in the Dark.' 'Melancholia' has been very well-received so far, with several critics hailing it as "mesmerizing" and a "masterpiece."

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Just saw Joaquin Pheonix's I'm Still Here. I found it really really fascinating. Portrays a good message and Joaquin's performance is extremely convincing. So convincing that I had to confirm it was a 'mockumentary' and not completely real. I was completely certain that he'd lost his mind.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
fincher's girl with the dragon tattoo trailer

looks good. almost a shot-for-shot remake at points, though. still, fincher's a master. noomi rapace > whoever this new girl is.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I watched the HBO film Too Big To Fail last night, and it was relatively interesting apart from the fact they glorified Hank Paulson and Ben Bernanke for scaring Congress into bailing out the banks. It makes them look like heros, which is a complete rewrite of history. What a sham. At least they picked a good acting crew, though.

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
Pans Labyrinth is a really creative unique movie, Guillerme is one hell of a director. I cant wait for his Dont be afraid of the dark remake..

I watched X-men First Class, It was a fun ride, James McAvoy did a nice job, and I have always loved seeing Mystique.. It was a fun movie, worth the money

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I watched the HBO film Too Big To Fail last night, and it was relatively interesting apart from the fact they glorified Hank Paulson and Ben Bernanke for scaring Congress into bailing out the banks. It makes them look like heros, which is a complete rewrite of history. What a sham. At least they picked a good acting crew, though.
Lol, they made crooks of gigantic proportions into heroes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)