Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (55 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I actually kinda liked Napoleon.

Never expected it to be another epic like Gladiator and wasn't expecting an accurate portrayal of his life.

Wasnt expecting the comedy elements either but did enjoy it.

It's hard to take Joaquin Phoenix seriously. If there was ever a serious adaptation of Napoleons life I'd imagine they'd have someone very different playing him.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zaim

Dec 1, 2007
I had some free time this week, so watched some films that were on my list.

Enemy (2013) - I love most of Denis Villeneuve's work, so I had high expectations here. Especially with Jake Gyllenhaal in the lead and a plot which purely revolves about the character. I really liked the concept, but was disappointed by the execution. Also, the color grading was really distracting. It had good moments, but overall 6/10.

Birdman (2014) - Loved it. Great camera work and choreography for the long takes. Michael Keaton put in a great performance, I also loved Ed Norton (that's no surprise) in this one. 8/10.

The Killer (2023) - Huge let down. David Fincher is one of my favorite directors, but this was not a well made movie. Pacing was off, plot was not interesting enough and the overall feel was awkward. Michael Fassbender needs to get a good role again quickly, because after X-Men First Class and Shame I had high hopes for him. 4/10.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah the killer was a huge dissapointment, it felt like a long pilot to a pretentious spy noir TV series that will be cancelled on sight. It was so uneventful.

It baffles me it's work by Fincher and Fassbender.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I must be the only person who loved The Killer.

I don't want to sound pretencious but I feel like alot of people missed some key elements and mistook it as a typical spy/ thriller. I feel like David Fincher is being underestimated, try and remember how he likes to tell a story then consider this ...
This is what I thought Fincher was trying to show. Fincher is trying to trick everyone & I think he's achieved it.

The Killer character is a nihilist. He cares for no one. He doesn't care about his girlfriend. For all we know he could of met her at a local village & just hooked up together literally weeks before the French assignment. Fincher purposefully tries not to show any personal details about this relationship because there isn't any. But he wants the viewer to project their own moral thoughts and emotions to this character. But remember the character is nihilistic. He cares for no one.

He spends most of the film killing everyone in the know of his first error eliminating the chance of losing future work. In very inventive ways.

I listened to the narration. The opening 20 minutes he explains to himself that he is bored of his occupation. That he doesn't give a fuck. That he yearns for an opportunity/job to do more inventive kills.

He then misses the target. Why ?
Its not a mistake. He's too good to do that. He turns on his survival instincts.
To create variety, challenge, adventure he has botched the job and now has to suffer the consequences & kill and eliminate the results of his errors. This he loves. Even when it threatens everything he has, his own life, his Hideout (not home). His trophy girlfriend etc.

But when he reaches the client. He stops. The client has no real idea of what has gone on. He sees the connection but not the full story. He warns him & walks away. Why ?

To keep the lucrative business of assassination going. To keep his network of clients & contracts open. To stay in the job. The client is too big and important to kill in this trade.

Epilogue. Fincher winks at us and asks. Would you drink that coffee. Because I know I wouldn't.

Remember. He cares for no one.

After all this. Fincher has made the perfect slight of hand misdirection trick. Show a story about a man who is 100% empty. And see what the viewers project onto it. You can either see it as a mundane hitman movie or a very well hidden nihilistic cold blooded masterpiece. Think about it.

Last edited:

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
I must be the only person who loved The Killer.

I don't want to sound pretencious but I feel like alot of people missed some key elements and mistook it as a typical spy/ thriller. I feel like David Fincher is being underestimated, try and remember how he likes to tell a story then consider this ...
I hadn't seen any reviews or opinions on the film. This is what I thought Fincher was trying to show. Fincher is trying to trick everyone & I think he's achieved it.

The Killer character is a nihilist. He cares for no one. He doesn't care about his girlfriend. For all we know he could of met her at a local village & just hooked up together literally weeks before the French assignment. Fincher purposefully tries not to show any personal details about this relationship because there isn't any. But he wants the viewer to project their own moral thoughts and emotions to this character. But remember the character is nihilistic. He cares for no one.

He spends most of the film killing everyone in the know of his first error eliminating the chance of losing future work. In very inventive ways.

I listened to the narration. The opening 20 minutes he explains to himself that he is bored of his occupation. That he doesn't give a fuck. That he yearns for an opportunity/job to do more inventive kills.

He then misses the target. Why ?
Its not a mistake. He's too good to do that. He turns on his survival instincts.
To create variety, challenge, adventure he has botched the job and now has to suffer the consequences & kill and eliminate the results of his errors. This he loves. Even when it threatens everything he has, his own life, his Hideout (not home). His trophy girlfriend etc.

But when he reaches the client. He stops. The client has no real idea of what has gone on. He sees the connection but not the full story. He warns him & walks away. Why ?

To keep the lucrative business of assassination going. To keep his network of clients & contracts open. To stay in the job. The client is too big and important to kill in this trade.

Epilogue. Fincher winks at us and asks. Would you drink that coffee. Because I know I wouldn't.

Remember. He cares for no one.

After all this. Fincher has made the perfect slight of hand misdirection trick. Show a story about a man who is 100% empty. And see what the viewers project onto it. You can either see it as a mundane hitman movie or a very well hidden nihilistic cold blooded masterpiece. Think about it.
I also thought it was great
Definetly one of the better movies of the year

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Saltburn...

Was like 'The Talented Mr Ripley' on crystal meth.

Felt unique yet unoriginal, disturbing, engaging and beautifully shot and while not a great movie it's one I'll remember. A potential cult classic.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Movie festival started yesterday in my town. Personally one of the best periods during the year for me as I absolutely enjoy it.

I watched The Holdovers yesterday and I loved it. It's a really sweet and enjoyable movie. Payne is a very good director but man, Paul Giamatti totally killed it in this one. I think it's gonna stay as one of the best Christmas-type movies. I recommend it. You can hit it up with your girls as I'm sure they will enjoy it too.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Saltburn...

Was like 'The Talented Mr Ripley' on crystal meth.

Felt unique yet unoriginal, disturbing, engaging and beautifully shot and while not a great movie it's one I'll remember. A potential cult classic.

Oh I will watch it then, good description lol

That and Michael Mann Ferrari movie on amazon I will binge soon.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Well then. I will put it in spoilers in case someone doesn't want to read before seeing the movie.

The movie was not exactly what I was expecting but in hindsight I should have known that.

It's much less of a political space opera like the first part and much more a "what if Jesus decided to go to guerrilla war against the Roman Empire". Which I guess is exactly what Herbert intended, isn't it? It's very much a grounded movie focused on the characters and much less on big scale battles and there's literally 0 space travel shown :p.

It was 2,45h but I still felt like it should have been longer. They even cut out one semi-important character from the first part.

All in all it's pretty much a depressing movie with an ending that feels like it should be a happy one, but everyone knows it's actually not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)