Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (158 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Why?

Its not I envisioned him in this role, but what makes him terrible. He is a great character actor who can do action.
I've seen all of his movies and there is nothing that even slightly resembles the coolness and tough ruggedness of snakes character in the games. His attempt at playing tough guys in Star wars and Triple Frontier didn't convince me.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Fair enough. Didnt feel like he was going for tough guys in those roles, but he is an overall fantastic actor.

My dream choice for solid snake for last 20 years has been Christian Bale :D So not gonna change lol.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Fair enough. Didnt feel like he was going for tough guys in those roles, but he is an overall fantastic actor.

My dream choice for solid snake for last 20 years has been Christian Bale :D So not gonna change lol.
He played a soldier in both though and seemed to be some what of a leader.

Christian bale is perfect he has always been my first choice.
Video game movies never do well though so my guess is that he probably feels like he is above doing any now.

OP
Elvin

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
  • Thread Starter #27,852
    if toasters ask for recommendations always use the search to find out what they already watched. This way I already knew he watched Into The Wild, 127 Hours, Cast Away, Lawrence of Arabia and Master and Commander. Best to make a bookmark like this
    niCOFu0.png
    Altruism for the win :tup:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
    I got its charm, but not the point. Still enjoyable.
    The point of Coen movies is hidden between other equally valid angles to enjoy the movie, to a degree where the point appears or actually IS unimportant. What sets these films apart is exactly what you said, they are crafted in a way that lets you enjoy and laugh anyway. And coen bros will be happy about just that. But in the end you might be motivated to sit down and think.

For me personally the meaning and greater comedy of Lebowski was to spawn a christ-like figure into modern America (LA even) where the original values of christianity and the Jesus image itself were long forgotten and distorted into the opposite of what Jesus stood for. Naturally a guy like him is not welcome in a so called Christian country where money, aggression and fake success ended up ruling. Dude is a kind man, a patient and tolerant man who will however never debase himself in front of authorities (malibu sheriff, fat lebowski) however, a person of strong convictions (nihists don't believe anything, they are worse than nazis) who stands his ground. Living the NEET life hanging with buddies and chilling with hookers he represents the image that religious fundamentalists wiped out in favor of beating kids with a ruler or banning a player for blasphemy in Italy. There was a nod towards this interpretation when the old cowboy said something along the lines of 'isn't it comforting to know that he is out there....the Dude....takin' it easy for the rest of us'...like 'Jesus died for the rest of us' the Dude is absorbing our troubles because he doesn't give a shit 6 billion times over. Ironically, followers of The Big Lebowski didn't see it and started a real religion called dudeism (based on taoism)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 152)