Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (33 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
À bout de souffle - A very light yet entertaining movie. I really enjoyed it and I'd probably say it's a great movie. Lots of cool and funny stuff thrown around in a very subtle way. Nice introduction to Godard as this my first piece of his. To become immortal and then die. I loved it.

Pina - Now this is one fucked up movie. Or is it a movie? I don't even know. I don't even know how I'd rate this one. Nice to see something unique like this. I thought I'd find it boring but it was fine. Some great moments but some dull moments as well.

10 Things I Hate About You - I had no idea about this movie. I wanted to give it a go when I saw it had Ledger and Gordon-Levitt as kids there. It's like a decent predictable shit to kill your time with.

La double vie de Véronique - The only only only reason I postponed watching this movie for a long time was simply because went to imdb and over there I saw one thing that I pretty much hate: musical. It was placed into that category and I literally just said "no, no". But oh boy, how I wish I knew eariler it was Preisner in it and that wonderful music. Kieslowski is really great and so is this movie. I'll have to watch it again. One of the rare movies that I keep loving move and more the more I watched it. It was really nice.

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
I like him and think he is a good actor I've never seen Twilight so I've no reason to hate on him.
Stevie knows.

I love this Suspiria's song that was used for the video :touched::

I'm proud to see El Ángel in this compilation. Excellent movie. I hope is nominated for the Oscars.
The trailer doesn't do it justice. I recommend watching it.

And if someone is interested in LGBT-themed films, I recommend this one :heart:.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
La double vie de Véronique - The only only only reason I postponed watching this movie for a long time was simply because went to imdb and over there I saw one thing that I pretty much hate: musical. It was placed into that category and I literally just said "no, no". But oh boy, how I wish I knew eariler it was Preisner in it and that wonderful music. Kieslowski is really great and so is this movie. I'll have to watch it again. One of the rare movies that I keep loving move and more the more I watched it. It was really nice.
IMDB called La Double Vie de Véronique a musical? :lol:

One of my favourite films. Kieslowski is a genius, as is Zbigniew Preisner.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
IMDB called La Double Vie de Véronique a musical? :lol:

One of my favourite films. Kieslowski is a genius, as is Zbigniew Preisner.
Oh just the genre. I might be wrong but here. Btw, I saw such only for muscal movies, not otherwise :boh:

But man, Preisner is just too brilliant. Movie is amazing as well. Oh I forgot to mention the most annoying and pathetic thing. I've seen people compare it with Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain! WTF! That movie is DOGSHIT! They are like "here's a movie that's as great as Amelie" and I'm like dude... what the fuck

Attachments

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
You classy connoisseurs make me feel like a bourgeois bum.
I don't think anyone here knows about cinema. To know about cinema is to know about technique and to have read many books about this, and about the history of cinema.
In addition to watching millions of movies of all times and nationalities.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, you're good. Juvenann is the one watching Robert Pattinson movies.
Wait, I was once about to watch a movie about an old woman who killed men by smothering them on her tits. I didn't watch it just cause I didn't find it, but it exists and I wanted to watch it :lol:.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
I don't think anyone here knows about cinema. To know about cinema is to know about technique and to have read many books about this, and about the history of cinema.
In addition to watching millions of movies of all times and nationalities.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, I was once about to watch a movie about an old woman who killed men by smothering them on her tits. I didn't watch it just cause I didn't find it, but it exists and I wanted to watch it :lol:.
This :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

You've only seen one film from Kieślowski? :shifty:
Yes :shifty:.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Oh just the genre. I might be wrong but here. Btw, I saw such only for muscal movies, not otherwise :boh:

But man, Preisner is just too brilliant. Movie is amazing as well. Oh I forgot to mention the most annoying and pathetic thing. I've seen people compare it with Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain! WTF! That movie is DOGSHIT! They are like "here's a movie that's as great as Amelie" and I'm like dude... what the fuck
Oh. I suppose they just mean there is a "music" aspect to the film. Here's another brilliant film that has "music" in the genre as well, but is not at all a musical. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040725/ By the way, if you haven't watched The Red Shoes, you definitely should. It's a great one. Powell and Pressburger made quite a few good films together. Black Narcissus, A Matter of Life and Death, and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp come to mind.

I don't hate Amélie. It's quirky and cute, and when in the right mood this has its charms, but it's certainly not a great film. I can't conceive of any possible reason to compare it to La Double Vie de Véronique. The two films aren't even slightly similar, disregarding the enormous gulf in quality.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
À bout de souffle - A very light yet entertaining movie. I really enjoyed it and I'd probably say it's a great movie. Lots of cool and funny stuff thrown around in a very subtle way. Nice introduction to Godard as this my first piece of his. To become immortal and then die. I loved it.

Pina - Now this is one fucked up movie. Or is it a movie? I don't even know. I don't even know how I'd rate this one. Nice to see something unique like this. I thought I'd find it boring but it was fine. Some great moments but some dull moments as well.

10 Things I Hate About You - I had no idea about this movie. I wanted to give it a go when I saw it had Ledger and Gordon-Levitt as kids there. It's like a decent predictable shit to kill your time with.

Breathless is definitely the right entry point to Godard. It's a great film in its own right and interesting for historical reasons (place in French New Wave and use of jump cuts). I'm not a big fan of Godard in general though. But Breathless is from before his head got too far up his own ass. Give me the emotional Truffaut over the overintellectual Godard anyday.

Have you seen Dekalog yet? Seeing that you like Kieslowski even more than me, you're going to love that.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Oh. I suppose they just mean there is a "music" aspect to the film. Here's another brilliant film that has "music" in the genre as well, but is not at all a musical. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040725/ By the way, if you haven't watched The Red Shoes, you definitely should. It's a great one. Powell and Pressburger made quite a few good films together. Black Narcissus, A Matter of Life and Death, and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp come to mind.

I don't hate Amélie. It's quirky and cute, and when in the right mood this has its charms, but it's certainly not a great film. I can't conceive of any possible reason to compare it to La Double Vie de Véronique. The two films aren't even slightly similar, disregarding the enormous gulf in quality.
Never seen such. I've seen plenty of movies with music aspect in it yet nowhere wrote that. Nevermind, though, luckily I watched it.

I'll surely watch those. I haven't watched any of those mentioned and The Red Shoes already caught my attention.

Any awesome movies like... Wings of Desire?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Breathless is definitely the right entry point to Godard. It's a great film in its own right and interesting for historical reasons (place in French New Wave and use of jump cuts). I'm not a big fan of Godard in general though. But Breathless is from before his head got too far up his own ass. Give me the emotional Truffaut over the overintellectual Godard anyday.

Have you seen Dekalog yet? Seeing that you like Kieslowski even more than me, you're going to love that.
I'm yet to watch Trauffaut :sergio:

No, what? A TV show?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Truffaut over Godard for me too.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I thought you watched 400 Blows and Jules & Jim?

Dekalog is a mini-series. Ten episodes, each based on one of the ten commandments. Must see. :D
Pfff I did but that's just two ffs.

Oh shit. That sounds incredible. I'll watch it! I finished watching Jesus and I'm currently fasting 40 days.

I really liked 400 Blows but I did not like Jules et Jim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)