Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (29 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Just watched Heaven Adores You. A documentry about Elliott Smith. Pretty dull and boring didnt learn anything i didnt already know. Unless you a fan i dont think this would appeal to too many.

Watched The Lobster lastnight which was great :tup:

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
Just watched Revenant last night.

I actually thought it was Tom Hardy that got to me with his performance, I mean yes, Leo was his usual awesome self, and we know how great Tom can be as well. I just feel the media and internet are focusing too much on Leo and forgetting Tom.

The movie overall for me wasn't that special, its twice now, that I have expected too highly of an Inarritu film, last year Birdman, which just sucked miserably for me. This time, Revenant, though much better than Revenant, was still short of my expectation, the film really is just about surviving and getting Leo to not die until he has his revenge, pretty much it, nothing for us to think about and I guess everyone who was watching kinda know how it would end, so it wasnt even worth rooting for anyone else in the movie but Leo.

i give it a 7 just because of Tom and Leo. I still feel Leo should get an Oscar, but I have seen him in better films in the past, so won't be that disappointed if he doesnt win again.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Just watched Mad Max: Fury Road. I actually quite liked it, but then The Road Warrior is one of my favorite all time movies. George Miller clearly turned to that film instead of the Thunderdome for inspiration. It was about as comic-book-like as I can tolerate in the movie, and the action scenes definitely fatigue you after a while. But there's a lot of imaginative creativity in it. The CGIs are a bit heavy-handed, but more for explosions than for a million things whizzing around.

I don't quite see the feminist plot complaints. Max is still in it. I recommend.

Also just saw Inside Out. What dafuq was Pixar doing making the TV show "Herman's Head" into an animated movie? Yeah, it's light and girlie adolescent stuff. Alright filler.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah. I actually watched till the end just because of him. I'm still ill and I had it on TV. I know it's one of his favs but honestly I couldn't digest it. Werckmeister Harmóniák was brilliant but this one... just a big flat NO.
Nah. The Turin House is the worst of Bela's films since the garbage he made before Karhozat... Interesting concept and absolutely beautiful film, but it just doesn't have the substance. The opening scene matched with the cyclical closing scene, the speech out of Krasznahorkai's book War & War, the gypsy scene, and that's about it for the film as far as great scenes go. I still enjoyed it, the aesthetic is just far too pleasing for me to not enjoy and if you're willing to burrow deep enough there's quite a few layers there, but it's a mess, and hopelessly obfuscatory even in comparison to his other films.

My order would go:

Satantango
Werckmeister Harmonies
The Man From London
Karhozat
The Turin Horse
Almanac of the Fall
Family Nest
The Prefab People

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Nah. The Turin House is the worst of Bela's films since the garbage he made before Karhozat... Interesting concept and absolutely beautiful film, but it just doesn't have the substance. The opening scene matched with the cyclical closing scene, the speech out of Krasznahorkai's book War & War, the gypsy scene, and that's about it for the film as far as great scenes go. I still enjoyed it, the aesthetic is just far too pleasing for me to not enjoy and if you're willing to burrow deep enough there's quite a few layers there, but it's a mess, and hopelessly obfuscatory even in comparison to his other films.

My order would go:

Satantango
Werckmeister Harmonies
The Man From London
Karhozat
The Turin Horse
Almanac of the Fall
Family Nest
The Prefab People
Why the gypsy scene? :D I thought it was totally unnecessary. Oh but I loved the music.. that's about it. The only scene I truly enjoyed was 3-4 mins of of speech when the old guy came to get alcohol from them. Other than that... it was a huge facepalm. I think dressing/undressing the father took like 1h of the movie. Going to the well and eating potatoes another 1h or so. Everything was way too blank in my opinion. I tried to catch the essence but it seems it was out of my reach. The whole horse scene was way, way too weak imo.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Why the gypsy scene? :D I thought it was totally unnecessary. Oh but I loved the music.. that's about it. The only scene I truly enjoyed was 3-4 mins of of speech when the old guy came to get alcohol from them. Other than that... it was a huge facepalm. I think dressing/undressing the father took like 1h of the movie. Going to the well and eating potatoes another 1h or so. Everything was way too blank in my opinion. I tried to catch the essence but it seems it was out of my reach. The whole horse scene was way, way too weak imo.
http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/the-turin-horse

I don't agree with how highly he's praising the film but this is a very good explication of the film and what it's trying accomplish; its success in that endeavour is a matter of perspective. This reviewer says he succeeded fantastically, I say in between, and you say rubbish. Interesting how that goes. The reality is likely somewhere in the middle, hence the mixed-to-positive reviews the film mostly received.

I think a lot of is understandable in light of reading the short piece attached to the end of Krasznahorkai's War & War. As well as Beckett's fiction. It reminds me a lot of Beckett's fiction. Bleak, repetitive, banal, cyclical. Only like the author of the above review suggest, reversed. Instead of "I can't go on, I'll go on", it's "I'll go on, I can't go on." Subtle but meaningful shift that gives this film far more meaning.

- - - Updated - - -

I think if you have heard Tarr interviewed on the film, or read his notes on it, or much of the critical analysis of it, the film becomes much more interesting and meaningful.

The question here is whether one should have to do such things in order to find value in a film...

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/the-turin-horse

I don't agree with how highly he's praising the film but this is a very good explication of the film and what it's trying accomplish; its success in that endeavour is a matter of perspective. This reviewer says he succeeded fantastically, I say in between, and you say rubbish. Interesting how that goes. The reality is likely somewhere in the middle, hence the mixed-to-positive reviews the film mostly received.

I think a lot of is understandable in light of reading the short piece attached to the end of Krasznahorkai's War & War. As well as Beckett's fiction. It reminds me a lot of Beckett's fiction. Bleak, repetitive, banal, cyclical. Only like the author of the above review suggest, reversed. Instead of "I can't go on, I'll go on", it's "I'll go on, I can't go on." Subtle but meaningful shift that gives this film far more meaning.

- - - Updated - - -

I think if you have heard Tarr interviewed on the film, or read his notes on it, or much of the critical analysis of it, the film becomes much more interesting and meaningful.

The question here is whether one should have to do such things in order to find value in a film...
Been wondering the same. Quite a few times I went to read something and ended up rating a movie a lot more. Still, can't help but wonder how many movies fly under the radar cause we don't read such stuff. Then again, some of the analysis look quite exaggerating. Sometimes I have a feeling they'd write tons of prises about the shittiest movies, capturing the most useless crap that's in the movie just because. Maybe films greatest like Bergman manage to hide behind critics (cause I really don't know how and why is The Seventh Seal so much rated :D and then again -- I do rate a lot of his movies).

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Dead Snow II - hilarious :lol:

the ending :touched:
...movie is so wrong in so many ways :lol:

no deep shit, but definitely entertaining and one of the few good zombie movies imo.
(if you like it gory/weird :p )

it‘s the LAST SCENE, don‘t watch it if you intend to watch the movie later on.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Dead Snow II - hilarious :lol:

the ending :touched:
...movie is so wrong in so many ways :lol:

no deep shit, but definitely entertaining and one of the few good zombie movies imo.
(if you like it gory/weird :p )

it's the LAST SCENE, don't watch it if you intend to watch the movie later on.
I loved that movie. A lot of fun. :agree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)