Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (126 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
@Post Ironic is The Assassin really as good as they're saying?
It's a film that is all mood and atmosphere; it really is a visual and auditory feast... Polished and refined, it's definitely beautiful, with exquisite fight scenes... But the plot is convoluted and though not quite incomprehensible, at times it comes dangerously close. Everything seems buried a bit too deep below the surface. Probably a film one could watch a number of times in order to access that cerebral level.

I'd recommend it, it's Hou Hsiao-Hsien's best film since Flowers of Shanghai in 1998... but from my first viewing during VIFF, I don't see it as quite the masterpiece some have made it out to be. Watch it on the big screen if you can.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
think i'm gonna re-watch all them sasori movies, starting tomorrow.
Your fetish for female asian Charles Bronson made me think of this sad depressed evil genius character:

:D

- - - Updated - - -

@Post Ironic is The Assassin really as good as they're saying?
My obbsessed asian cinephile sister watched this in 3rd try, first two times felt asleep. Said it was nice and peculiar visual experience, but that the director had no clue wtf he wanted to tell. Indulging in too long and slow scenes that serve no purpose.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I dont blame you. Havent seen it in long time (7-8 years?), but was a good gate way to anime over decade ago, keep up the habit with a regular weekly series to watch, basic entertaining formula with some cool characters that had a tale that was dried up/prolonged to infinity unnecessarily.

In terms of anime main off the bat thing I would directly recommend is this bizzarely interesting series:

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
It's a film that is all mood and atmosphere; it really is a visual and auditory feast... Polished and refined, it's definitely beautiful, with exquisite fight scenes... But the plot is convoluted and though not quite incomprehensible, at times it comes dangerously close. Everything seems buried a bit too deep below the surface. Probably a film one could watch a number of times in order to access that cerebral level.

I'd recommend it, it's Hou Hsiao-Hsien's best film since Flowers of Shanghai in 1998... but from my first viewing during VIFF, I don't see it as quite the masterpiece some have made it out to be. Watch it on the big screen if you can.
My obbsessed asian cinephile sister watched this in 3rd try, first two times felt asleep. Said it was nice and peculiar visual experience, but that the director had no clue wtf he wanted to tell. Indulging in too long and slow scenes that serve no purpose.
Hmm It sounds like it's a bit like Tarkovsky's The Mirror. Will check it out whenever it's out.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I watched this film (ofcourse after kill bill) primarily because I love the theme song so much. Pure awesomeness.
Same deal. I wish I could say otherwise. My hipster points would skyrocket. :boh:

- - - Updated - - -

NO WAY :eek: ;)

i will do so though :tup:

are YOU Criterion btw?
I love Criterion and want all my favourite films to be restored by them. They do such a fantastic job.

If you look at their restorations of films, compared to companies like Kino and Artificial Eye, there just isn't any comparison to make. They do a brilliant job of removing artifacts and noise, and not adding artificial enhancement.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm It sounds like it's a bit like Tarkovsky's The Mirror. Will check it out whenever it's out.
Have you seen Liza, The Fox Fairy yet? If not, watch it. Brilliant film. One of the best of 2015.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 120)