Moggi Will Announce Something Big (3 Viewers)

Jul 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

I don't think that any transfer campaign (or lack thereof) can affect a season that much. It will be more important to see whether our players play to their potential. If Zebina becomes a good defender and Legro finds his brain, then we'll have a good defense. If Del Piero or Miccoli plays well, then we'll have a good attack...
its a big risk by moggi to assume that these guys will perfomr, with past history in the negative...he must have amazing faith in them.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
its a big risk by moggi to assume that these guys will perfomr, with past history in the negative...he must have amazing faith in them.
He has to assume that someone will perform, because we simply don't have the cash to replace everyone that performed badly last year. I mean, we'd be left with Zambrotta and we'd have to buy a whole new squad. He's made some good moves and we have to see how that will play out. Furthermore, with a new coach comes new oppurtunities for players. Maybe we have everything we need but not in the right places, if you know what I mean.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
yeah,particularly the last one.we've all seen players who've been rejuvinated and recovered form that everyone theought they'd never see again from having a new manager.

i wouldn't be surprised if one or two of our underachieving players undergo such a change.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm personally expecting a big improvement from Appiah, Legro, Miccoli and Tudor next season. I want Camo, Tacchinardi and Del Piero to do better as well, but I can't really see it happening

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
wait,appiah's still here?i didn't know we exercised our option on him.

camo's been doing ok imo,he just needs to be a little more consistent.del piero's the one i think who'll be affected the most by capello's arrival,for better or for worse.

tacch,on the other hand,will not get any better imo.i'll be happy if he stops making too many errors and resorting to dirty tricks all the time.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Ian is totally right - You just cant plan the entire season on Calcio Mercato. There are too many hidden parameters on the course of season - injuries, loss of form, and luck . Uncertainties comes because you just simply cannot control every aspects of life. However, good management is the one that hedges the risks and find ways to run smootherly. That is where I do not think we have done well this year. It is one thing too have couple of players to regain form, and other if you rely on a host of players to improve and that is what Moggi is exactly doing.
And don't tell me that Moggi's option is limited because of our financial constraint. The very reason why we made a loss last year is precisely due to our lack of envolvement in CL - had we went further in the tournament there would have been increase in revenues through gates, TV, and prize money. Do people realize how much money we would loose if we dont make CL this year? There is a fine line with spending thriftly and being damn right stingy - and Moggi is in line with the latter. Investment is all about gaining value for money and marginal improvement an additional signing would make. Real is being too lavish because they do not spend the money where it is most needed hence diminishing marginal returns (*Owen*), whereas Juve in contrast dont spend at all and if we do on people who makes absolutely no contribution.
Relying on making the CL semi's and finals to keep on the winning cycle a la Real model is too risky IMO, but surely it is better than spending nothing at all and putting the club in a bad cycle: Poor performace - Lower revenue - Less investment - Even worse performance - and so forth.
While I appreciate what Moggi has done over the years, the man has grown so full of himself now that it would be better for the team if he just left. Buying bargains is one thing but consistently refusing to follow conventional wisdom and trying to make Legro, Appiah, Zebina, Kapo, et al next Paolo Monteros, Zizous, Inzaghis to make himself look good is detrimental to the team. I have nothing against these players individually, as matter of fact, I endorsed these deals however as a group they do not make good investment policy. While I think it is too late to grab a CB that we should have got, Moggi must sign solid proven players and a world class CB and attacker even at a cost. And looking around the world as a source of talent should be pursued. I am certain that there would soon be many talented players in Africa and Asia. There is South America (A market Moggi has never really ventured into) to look into. Tevez is proven , young, immensely TALENTED and will cost a lot. And these are signings we need to make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)