Miralem Pjanić (48 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
that is very close to what sarri expects from his regista: move the ball with plenty of short passes, without running risks. if anyone saw jorginho at both napoli and chelsea...

pjanic is having a good game. 3 tackles, 4/4 duels won, accurate passing. calma.
Dude. Sarri has clearly told Pjanic to play the exact opposite way from what we see from him on the pitch. He’s just doing this to spite Sarri out of malice and make the fans angry!

Last edited:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Dude. Sarri has clearly told Pjanic to play the exact opposite way from what we see from him on the pitch. He’s just doing this spite Sarri out of malice and make the fans angry!
filthy gypsy!

- - - Updated - - -

that is very close to what sarri expects from his regista: move the ball with plenty of short passes, without running risks. if anyone saw jorginho at both napoli and chelsea...

pjanic is having a good game. 3 tackles, 4/4 duels won, accurate passing. calma.
so then what is the point of having pjanic in that role and not someone more physical?

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
so then what is the point of having pjanic in that role and not someone more physical?
because pjanic is an excellent passer, calm as fuck, and rarely puts a foot wrong in either possession or defensive phase.

btw you mean rabiot? he's still a bit rusty and can't play full 90 minutes, and even at his best, he's unable to deliver 100 passes with 90% pass accuracy. bentancur is the closest potential pjanic replacement in our squad, but he's been an excellent mezzala lately, so i won't move him.

tbh i'm happy with the idea of bentancur, pjanic and rabiot until the end of the season. then we'll see who's safe from the plusvalenza junkie tici is.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
because pjanic is an excellent passer, calm as fuck, and rarely puts a foot wrong in either possession or defensive phase.

btw you mean rabiot? he's still a bit rusty and can't play full 90 minutes, and even at his best, he's unable to deliver 100 passes with 90% pass accuracy. bentancur is the closest potential pjanic replacement in our squad, but he's been an excellent mezzala lately, so i won't move him.

tbh i'm happy with the idea of bentancur, pjanic and rabiot until the end of the season. then we'll see who's safe from the plusvalenza junkie tici is.
Rabiot is an excellent passer. he's no Pirlo with the long balls but i dont see the current regista attempting that anyway

May 23, 2013
Four most common objectives for a Regista:

1. Serve as an outlet for when your team is under immense pressure.
2. Play quick passes to raise or keep the tempo going at a fast pace.
3. Play vertical forward long balls to wide players or at times an attacker making a run into the box.
4. Disrupt the play of the opposition through tackles or interceptions.

Marchisio and Pirlo excelled at all 4 of these facets of the position, which is why they were such brilliant Registas. Pjanic isn't bad at these; however, he's somewhat average. Which is why I'd push him further up the pitch.

It's a bit ironic tho, he did very well at all of these when playing in a two man mid with Khedira and Marchisio. But at the base of a three man mid, it's just never worked out sadly.

Jun 7, 2003
pjanic is our best midfielder right now, i dont know why i have to write this fact.
yes, he could play all the time the genius level which he sometimes play, but even at his average he has the experience and the calmness which most of our mids lack.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
pjanic is our best midfielder right now, i dont know why i have to write this fact.
yes, he could play all the time the genius level which he sometimes play, but even at his average he has the experience and the calmness which most of our mids lack.
Yep. Miralem plays by far the toughest position in midfield, and gets too much flack for doing good. I guess someone needs to be a scapegoat midfielder on tuz.

May 23, 2013
Matuidi is the only midfielder we have who is lacking in this regard lmao. Bentancur and Rabiot are far more calm when put under pressure.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
It's strange to have to write this indeed.

Pjanic is playing his role as he should. He isn't the world's best regista out there, but close enough. Reminds me of some PL fans criticizing Jorginho for not getting goals and assists. His job is not to make the hollywood passes to the forwards. His job is to always be open in the middle and always be prepared to relieve pressure and keep the ball moving. Every time someone doesn't know what to do with the ball they pass to Pjanic. He has to know who to position himself to be open to receive the ball, shield it with his body, turn, and release it to an open target. While this means mostly short 10m passes, it takes a lot of vision and training to do. Then as he sees opportunities, he can launch the ball far to the opposite flank or to the forwards.

No other mid we have can do it as well as him.

JuelzSantana

Sep 28, 2017
It's strange to have to write this indeed.

Pjanic is playing his role as he should. He isn't the world's best regista out there, but close enough. Reminds me of some PL fans criticizing Jorginho for not getting goals and assists. His job is not to make the hollywood passes to the forwards. His job is to always be open in the middle and always be prepared to relieve pressure and keep the ball moving. Every time someone doesn't know what to do with the ball they pass to Pjanic. He has to know who to position himself to be open to receive the ball, shield it with his body, turn, and release it to an open target. While this means mostly short 10m passes, it takes a lot of vision and training to do. Then as he sees opportunities, he can launch the ball far to the opposite flank or to the forwards.

No other mid we have can do it as well as him.
His job is to control the tempo and nowadays he's killing the pace by not moving the ball forward when needed. Also you mention the flanks, I honestly can't remember one single time in 2020 where he has switched play. I've seen Rabiot cover for him as regista in glimpses and do those things better.

Pjanic is talented but he has no competition in the team and is playing too comfortable without urgency. He needs to step up.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
His job is to control the tempo and nowadays he's killing the pace by not moving the ball forward when needed. Also you mention the flanks, I honestly can't remember one single time in 2020 where he has switched play. I've seen Rabiot cover for him as regista in glimpses and do those things better.

Pjanic is talented but he has no competition in the team and is playing too comfortable without urgency. He needs to step up.
Then it's a matter of perception because Pjanic switches play often.

Last edited:

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
People expect Pjanic to make risky passes forward when his teammates 90% time put him in dangerous position. In Sarri system Pjanic is a default outlet to save possession first and foremost, hell he receives the ball 99% time facing our own goal.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
There has been plenty of times the pass is on and he doesn't take the chance and I've seen him fuck up simple passes too.

He just doesn't control games or dictate play as well as he should. We've seen glimpses of how good he can be especially at the start of this season and that makes it more obvious to notice when he is playing badly which is most of the time.

Last edited:

JuelzSantana

Sep 28, 2017
If we go by how Jorginho operated in serie a, I see a regista who mostly turns his body towards the opponent when he receives the ball, not his own defenders. Switches play, through balls, quick 1-2s to push the pace of the game to an extent where the other team can't keep up. The notion that he didn't run risks is wrong.

Now compare this to what Pjanic is doing these days.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)