Michel Platini (8 Viewers)

May 22, 2007
Platini recalls duels with Maradona

Michel Platini has recalled his rivalry with Diego Maradona in the 1980s when the pair faced off in a number of epic matches between Juventus and Napoli.

Both players were pitted against each other between 1984 and 1987 in games that were so often key in deciding the race for the Scudetto.

Speaking to ANSA, Platini said: “The most beautiful memory is certainly the sporting rivalry that existed in that age between Napoli and Juve, between Maradona and me, and the atmosphere of competition created by the media around the footballers in that period in Italy.

“Maradona and I were often played against each other by the journalists, but the profound and mutual respect that existed between us always prevailed.

“We simply didn't interpret football in the same way. He lived it with immense passion while for me it was above all a game, an entertainment.”

When asked to reveal what, if anything, he would like to 'steal' from Maradona, Platini said: “That famous invention against England at the World Cup in 1986.

“It was a simply fantastic goal.”

Platini was of course referring to when Maradona dribbled his way from the half-way line rather than the infamous Hand of God.

http://www.football-italia.net/oct25i.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)