Michel Platini (8 Viewers)

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
Good job!!
btw: I've been thinking of subscribing to France Football to brush up on my french, is it a good idea?

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
The Real King Of France

It is an idol who is often forgotten in the eternal Pelé v Maradona debate, but nevertheless owed nothing to either when it came to both creating and finishing…

Michel Platini may now be dribbling adversaries in suits these days as UEFA boss, but before that the man born in the Alsace-Lorraine town of Joeuf 51 years ago could leave behind almost any marker and beat almost any keeper.

On the field he was noted for his characteristic straight-backed posture, immediately also standing out from Maradona and Pelé for his free kicking ability as well as an ability to bang in wire-guided rockets from distance that excelled both Brazilian and Argentine.

When looking at his work again, most are impressed by the almost regal poise that the player had. More than cold-bloodedness it was a way of approaching the game with cool style, enabling the player to keep his head in close-quarter combat as well as many a goal here shows.

Platini is fond of saying that "I began by playing for the biggest club in the Lorraine region, went on to the biggest club in France and ended up with the biggest in the world", and that reflects the esteem at which he is still held by Juventus fans.

This five-year stretch is still something etched into the memory and eternal gratitude of the Turin Bianconeri, Platini being afforded a special place in the hearts of the Juve faithful for his long service and single-minded devotion to the Italian giants.

It was also a way of Platini returning to his roots, the number 10 having been born to a second generation Italian emigrant, Aldo Platini. His grandfather left Piemonte after the First World War and Platini’s father was both a player and Coach, actually giving a certain Arsene Wenger his first taste of management:confused2.

Aldo instilled the young budding star with the key importance of anticipating the way play was turning and adding the chess-like aspect of deciding who to pass to before he even received the ball. His ability to swoop on many of the goals he scored was born on the French streets he practised on and informed his game with a little of the edge that many South American greats learn so young.

Like a South American who is lifting hopes of a second coming of Maradona. Lionel Messi, Platini found his career almost nipped in the bud by physical problems. Whereas Messi had growth hormone troubles that stunted his growth, Platini fainted at a Metz trial and was given a verdict of weak lungs and heart by the club sawbones.

Perhaps a sign of his winning personality, Platini never gave up and worked his way up at Nancy and after a bouncy stay at Les Verts Saint Etienne, landed in Italy in 1982. It wasn’t all plain sailing, however, and Platini felt besieged by the local press and unable to live up to the high expectations created by his signing.

The next season at the Vecchia Signora (Old Lady) saw Juve reaching the European Cup final but losing to Hamburg. They did win the Coppa Italia (Italian Cup), however, and Platini would be a conquering figurehead over the next four seasons.

He won the Scudetto with Juventus in 1984 and 1986, the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1984, the 1984 European Super Cup, the European Cup in 1985, and the 1985 Intercontinental Cup (a.k.a. FIFA World Club Championship).

Lethal in front of goal, Platini was Serie A Capocannioniere for three years running (1982-83, 1983-84 and 1984-85). He also netted a hat-trick of European Footballer of the Year awards (1983, 1984, 1985) and was also voted World Soccer Player of the Year in 1984 and 1985.

The dark stain of the Heysel disaster in the 1985 European Cup Final where 39 fans were killed after a shoddy wall collapsed saddened Platini, but he claimed that the decision to play on was taken because he really didn’t know the extent of the tragedy. His winning goal was also controversial as it was blown up for after a Boniek foul outside the Liverpool box.

Nevertheless, Platini scored in what went down afterwards as a milestone in European football history – albeit for all the wrong reasons. His effusive celebrations may seem out of place with the benefit of hindsight, but should in no way reflect poorly on the player as some have suggested.

At national level he led Les Bleus to conquer the 1984 Euro Championship for the first time, also ending up as MVP and Golden Boot of the tournament. He spearheaded what was known as the "carré magique" (magic square) that also starred Alain Giresse, Luis Fernández and Jean Tigana.

His performance for France in the 1982 World Cup semi-final in Seville has been pointed to by pundits as one of the great matches of World Cup history. Despite losing the penalty shoot-out 5-4 to West Germany, Platini still considers this match the greatest memory of his career.

Many still debate his moves and performances at length, but nobody in their right mind would deny that just as Pelé is O Rei (The King) in Brazil, Michel Platini is Le Roi; the King of France. Few things could be better than a video of Platini to kick off a great weekend. All hail the King…

Goal.com

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
We loved him....and yet it has to be said that Il Divino Codino, another we loved, had a higher scoring ratio with free kicks....and then of course, there's Alex! Seriously, great article on Platini, I remember him at Juve so well and saw some of the games he played in for the Bianconeri and also Les Bleus on tv. What a pity that in his days as a Bianconero, satellite tv with the huge dishes needed then was enjoyed only by the rich, and even then, only by those living in a location where you could have such a dish!

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

Diego-Del Piero duo excites Platini

Michel Platini has hailed the new Juventus and says he “can’t wait to see Diego and Alessandro Del Piero together.”

So far the captain has been kept on the sidelines, but Coach Ciro Ferrara does plan to have both creative figures on the field at the same time.

“Diego is one of the classic No 10 players, those creative midfielders who are hungry for goals. Plus he has the same name as Maradona!” joked the UEFA President.

“It’s a great signing and I can’t wait to see Diego and Del Piero together.”

The impressive new squad has earned comparisons with Platini’s famous Juve side which won the European Cup in 1985.

“It’s early days yet. We had a great Juve with l’Avvocato [Gianni Agnelli] in charge, [Giampiero] Boniperti, [Giovanni] Trapattoni and [Gaetano] Scirea. Dark years have passed and now something truly important is coming to life.

“L’Avvocato always looked to the man rather than the player, so a champion was not just visible by his free kicks or dribbling skills.

“I think Agnelli would like this team. Juve were in his heart and he always needed objectives. He would have felt the club count get back to winning ways.”

The legendary patron had a very hands on approach to the Bianconeri, which included famous dawn telephone calls of advice for his players.

“He was up and about at five and every now and then my wife would wake me to say l’Avvocato was on the phone. At that time of the morning, I agreed with him on absolutely everything. Then went back to sleep…

“If he were here today, he’d do everything to restore the image and prestige of Juventus. Class came before results. Who knows, with him in charge those terrible things [in Calciopoli] might not have happened.

“Now I no longer live in Italy, I understand how much he is admired there. I miss him, but let’s leave him in peace.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I love Platini! Everytime I see him I get a wave of positive energy going thru, brings smile to my face :D
And he's doing a great job at UEFA.

Viva Michel !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)