Metal, in all shapes and sizes (5 Viewers)

OP
Nzoric

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
  • Thread Starter #382
    Pretty excited for the new Tool stuff - I've really cooled on Opeth lately.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

In a metal kind of mood today :p

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Yeah it is, but somehow it functions within the context of the album.

Just put it on again, gonna listen to it from one end to the other again. It's really coming together for me now, definitely an album worthy of Mastodon. The Motherload is such a fun song, it's pure pop but damnit it functions.
    They're all awesome, even the poppy motherload. The instrumental bridge section in it is so good too. Definitely is growing on me even more. I've been listening to it between Leviathan and Remission and while it's probably not quite as good as them, I think it's good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
    New Tool stuff? Where, bitches? Post it here damnit!

- - - Updated - - -

I gave it a listen, and I'm just finding it too difficult to get into any new metal music these days. I'm gonna give this a few more spins and will do the same for the next Opeth album. If I still feel the same, then I'm just gonna stop listening to metal altogether. Besides, it's not like I listen to a lot of it right now anyway!
    I've been feeling the same way for quite some years. Even Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson solo stuff is hard to digest nowadays. Modern metal (and related) does nothing to me anymore. I can only listen to 70's hard rock when i want something "heavy", you know... Sabbath, Heep, Black Widow, Rainbow and stuff like that.

It's time for a change. It's good to know Opeth is at least trying different things.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    oh yeah that. I wouldn't call that new Tool, just Adam jamming out something on guitar.

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah that. I wouldn't call that new Tool, just Adam jamming out something on guitar.

Apr 15, 2006
    New Tool stuff? Where, bitches? Post it here damnit!
    Nah, just meant that I'm excited for their new album.

I've been feeling the same way for quite some years. Even Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson solo stuff is hard to digest nowadays. Modern metal (and related) does nothing to me anymore. I can only listen to 70's hard rock when i want something "heavy", you know... Sabbath, Heep, Black Widow, Rainbow and stuff like that.

It's time for a change. It's good to know Opeth is at least trying different things.
    I feel the same too. I never got into Wilson's solo stuff, and while I still love PT and their stuff, it's just not my go-to music these days. That position has clearly been taken up by electronic music these days.

ßöмßäяðîëя;4594092 said:
    :yawn:

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
    Aug 26, 2009
    @King of Kings

I tell you my brother, you have to listen to the full new Judas Priest album. The first 13 songs have its ups and downs but it's generally really good. Now the bonus 5 songs of the deluxe version are INCREDIBLE. They are kicking asses in the late 70s hard rock/classic heavy metal style. Grab the album when you can mate.

The best songs in my opinion in the album order:
    - Halls of Valhalla - fantastic
    - Sword of Damocles - something different and I don't really know what it has that makes me like it so much
    - Down in Flames
    - Secrets of the Dead - again something a bit different for JP standards but it catches on greatly
    - Battle Cry - fantastic job by Halford and generally a great song
    - Beginning of the End - the lone ballad in the standard album. It's pretty nice if you like heavy metal ballads like I do.

Now the bonus, deluxe version, tracks:
    - Snakebite - omg I fell in love with this track from the first few seconds of that classic heavy metal riffing
    - Tears of Blood - another great old school track.
    - Creatures - now that is something we haven't heard since The Ripper. It has the same feeling and simillar structure. But what I love the most is the last 30 secs with one of the greatest riffs I've heard in a looong time. Mind blowing shit.
    - Bring it On - another incredible fast paced track
    - Never Forget - this is the 2nd ballad of the whole album. The power it has comes from its lyrics. This is one big THANK YOU from the band to the fans. I was actually touched when I focused on the lyrics. This must be the best "thank you" song I've heard. I can't imagine them not using it on the future tours as the ending song. I can imagine the band thanking all the fans for all the years of support. Man, if they come again to Poland I think I will shed a tear hearing it life.

I was happy about the album after listening to the first 13 songs. The bonus that I've heard today blew my mind and left me speachless. This is the Judas Priest from the 70s that I love so much (I also love their 80s and later stuff, but 70s is special).

:touched:

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
    Went to Rock Werchter last Thursday, Metallica was performing, and I must say, they were good, I never saw them live before but they were really impressive.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    forgot to post this... sucks ass

Tool Reveal the Real Reason Behind Lack of Album Progress, Millions of Dollars Involved

As eight years have passed since the release of their latest studio effort, Tool have now fully opened up about the reason behind the hold-up, sharing a story about a million dollar-consuming lawsuit.

Guitarist Adam Jones and drummer Danny Carrey discussed the matter in detail with Rolling Stone, confessing that not a single new song had been written in full thus far, although the raw material is definitely there.

"The fans are pissed at us," Jones kicked off. "And while part of me is selfish and goes, 'I'm not necessarily doing it for them,' it's time that they understand what's going on."

Both musicians point out that family obligations are making it more difficult to get fully involved with the new album, but the mentioned multi-level court case was dubbed the most critical factor.

It all started in 2007 when Adam's friend claimed he had created an artwork for the band, demanding to receive credit. When Tool turned to an insurance company in hope to get legal defense is when the matter got really tangled up, as the band got sued over technicalities regarding the case. The musicians responded with a countersuit and are still deeply involved with it seven years later, awaiting to go on trial in January 2015.

"The whole thing is really depressing," Carey says. "The bad thing is it's really time-consuming. As we've gotten older and our priorities have changed, it's hard to get the band on a good, solid schedule as it is. People have kids now. And there's lots of other things that pop up. To throw this into the mix, it makes everything that much worse and stresses people out."

Furthermore, there's the financial aspect. "It's costing millions and millions and millions of dollars to defend us," Jones added. "And the fans are all going, 'We want a new Tool album. What the f--k?' And you don't want to pull people into your problems, because they don't understand.

"But the point is, we're fighting the good fight," he continued. "We're going to trial and we want to crush them. But every time we've gotten close to going to trial, it gets postponed and we've wasted money and time and it has just drained our creative energy. We bought an insurance policy for peace of mind, but instead we would have been better off if we never had it and just dealt with the original lawsuit."

However, there's also some good news among all the bad info, and that's the confirmation that Carrey, Jones, and bassist Justin Chancellor have still been busy with new material, and have now "gotten through the toughest part of writing."

And although not a single new track has been written in full, one is near completion and others are at least in the raw idea stage. Vocalist Maynard James Keenan is expected to receive the musical ideas soon and kick off the lyrical process.

"It's time-consuming that way, but it has worked really well for us," Carey said about the group's creative process. "It gets stressful at times when outside influences are dragging you down rather than pushing you forward."

As for the nearly-finished tune, it will clock in at least 10 minutes once finished and is going "through lots of changes and it's got really heavy elements."

"Sometimes I feel we get a little too proggy or too into exploring time signatures but not getting heavy enough for my taste," Jones noted. "There are some good nose-bleeding riffs happening, and I'm really happy about that. It's not out-of-the-gate crazy heavy, but there are these little journeys with nice paths that end up very heavy."

"It's all a little more 'metal' sounding, if I may," Carey chipped in with a laugh. "I'm having fun drumming on it. There is one other song [beyond the 10-minute tune] that I would say is pretty much there. It's another one that's pretty gnarly with some good double-kick [drumming] going on in it."

So what the group wanted to point out is that they are giving their best to deliver an effort on par with past releases. "I find it so hard to be creative when you have something awful nagging at you, just stuck between the hemispheres of your brain and affecting your sleep and your relationship with other band members," Jones said. "We have such a strong creative freedom in this band. It's like we've been in a war ... And it's unnecessary. It's just a shame."

Finally, Danny expressed hopes to have more material wrapped up by the end of 2014. "I'm hoping that we have something really solid recorded by the end of the year," he said. "But we'll see how it goes. I thought that last year, too. [laughs] But we're making great progress. We've really knocked out a lot of good things, especially over the last month. We're all excited about it."

"It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good," Adam concluded. "We've been working at our own pace, but we don't want to put out something and go, 'This song's fine, just put it out.' I'm never gonna put something out where later, I go, 'F--k, I wish we hadn't done that.' We're just not going to settle for doing anything but our best work, and the fans appreciate that

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
    Goddamn! :sad:

Anyway, Opeth's new album leaked! :weee:
    How did you like it? One thing is for sure it's proggier than ever. Lots of grungy Hammond sounds, Mellotrons... But i don't know, for some reason i still feel like it's just a bunch of good/ok different ideas that didn't quite mix well. The progressions don't sound as dynamic and smooth as they should. Or maybe i just can't stand modern Progressive rock/metal anymore. :D

Production wise it's top notch though, Steven Wilson never fails to deliver.

Apr 15, 2006
    I'm not sure. I only gave it one listen before work took away all my time and attention. But as with any Opeth album, or prog rock for that matter, it takes a few listens to get the feel of the album. So I'll get back to you on that.

But yes, I was impressed with the production. Wilson is :delpiero:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)