Maurizio Sarri (28 Viewers)

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
A positive you can take from Sarri’s first season is the way he handled Dybala, Cuadrado and Bentancur.

- He allowed Dybala to make the false 9 position his own instead of wasting him on the right wing.

- He rejuvenated Cuadrado’s career by moving him to RB. He had to do this because Danilo sucks ass.

- Bentancur has taken an enormous step this season. If Allegri was still here, Bentancur would be rotting on the bench while Matuidi would still be a starter and stinking up the place.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
So, about that, are you suggesting all the teams that beat us after the break(Napoli, Milan, Udinese, Cagliari, Roma) or gave us a hard time where we barelly limped to a draw(Atalanta,Sassuolo) haven’t had more or less the exact same schedule as ours or were they somehow better equipped to handle the one game each three days schedule? Did those teams not have any injuries or suspensions etc during this period or what’s the main point here exactly?
The main point is controlling games when you have no midfield and lack of depth in most areas. No Khedira, Ramsey never fit, tired Mire and his endless on-off niggles, then you have Bentancur playing every minute, Rabiot emerging and also Matuidi. That's a poor selection, especially for a coach who bases his emphasis on a strong and mobile midfield.

It's like saying Lazio suddenly are poor and Inzaghi is a poor coach. They got decimated and we only beat them because they were more knackered than we were. Other teams ran all over us, you could see it. Some of that would be a mental thing because we had points in hand, but a lot is to do with selection.

No one assembled a squad with playing every 3.5 games in mind, that's just how the dust settled. Some did better, some did worse. Suddenly Milan looked like world beaters, Atalanta were going to be unstoppable, Sassuolo flew when really they've had a good season and nothing more. When I can be bothered I'll put a table together showing before and after lockdown and we can see how true a reflection that period of 12 games was in contrast to the rest of the season. People can sit and talk about performances all day long, ours were poor for many games, but when the going is clearly shit it and you are in moments of difficulty becomes all about points. That's what pissed me off most in this spell.

We'll look at the table in the middle of the 2020-21 season and see who was simply flattering to deceive or making the most of an abnormal and unique situation.

BTW including the Cagliari and Roma games in the argument is pointless (literally).

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Paratici already confirmed it. If you believe sporting directors, of course.

An embarrassing loss at home might change a few minds.
:xfingers: I don't want us lost against Lyon, but playing the scenarios game:

1- Worst scenario: Past Lyon just to get tear apart by City or RM and that secure Sarri another year.
2.- Good Scenario: Not pass Lyon and Sarri got sacked.
3.- OMFG Secenario: Past Lyon and win UCL, we would ask for forgiveness to the great man

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
A positive you can take from Sarri’s first season is the way he handled Dybala, Cuadrado and Bentancur.

- He allowed Dybala to make the false 9 position his own instead of wasting him on the right wing.

- He rejuvenated Cuadrado’s career by moving him to RB. He had to do this because Danilo sucks ass.

- Bentancur has taken an enormous step this season. If Allegri was still here, Bentancur would be rotting on the bench while Matuidi would still be a starter and stinking up the place.
-Bentancur was a starter last season as well
-Paratici and Danilo deserve more credit for Cuadrado

He did well to make Dybi the CF after CR-Higgy-Dybi failed, still waiting to see if it works in the CL knockouts though

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Performances? Maybe, but we've done this before without Sarri. We would have had more narrow wins and draws in games we lost. I can say with almost certainty that we'd have more points than 8 out of 24 to end the season, having watched Juve stumble along for long spells over many seasons with different coaches. With a game or two every week it suits us and the make up of our squad.

The way the season ended was certainly pathetic, but the condition and composition of the squad didn't suit the situation that arose whatsoever. We are lucky to have the front two that we have and also for the emergence of Rabiot, because the rest of the midfield was either cooked or injured or Matuidi. No wing depth (or consistent quality - Berna, DC), no fullback depth, no striker depth, limited midfield depth, limited central defence depth. It's not surprising what happened.

We can't carry on with a similarly injury-threatened, old-ass squad into next season in case there is a similar lockdown. Then that would warrant Paratici being out on his ass. Sarri has also shown (again) a glaring weakness for being inflexible. Kulu and Arthur goes some way to helping.
We can always argue that the composition of the squad is poor. But a good manager would been able to get the best out of them. This squad also a scudetto last year without much changes apart from Mandzukic, Cancelo and we get Ramsey, Rabiot, Higuain, De Ligt.

The change of manager can always revive the team with several additional players required in the team. We already got Arthur, Kulu.
For example, Milan improving with Pioli replacing Giampaolo with the same roster plus Ibra. Zidane also replacing Lopetegui/Solari from last season without not much transfer. And Flick replacing Kovac and made a great impact, they made a good transfer with Davies, Pavard, Goretzka. And last one is Arteta with Arsenal. Before all their players look suck apart from Aubameyang, but now the players improve like Bellerin, Luiz, Holding, Xhaka, Pepe

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
The main point is controlling games when you have no midfield and lack of depth in most areas. No Khedira, Ramsey never fit, tired Mire and his endless on-off niggles, then you have Bentancur playing every minute, Rabiot emerging and also Matuidi. That's a poor selection, especially for a coach who bases his emphasis on a strong and mobile midfield.

It's like saying Lazio suddenly are poor and Inzaghi is a poor coach. They got decimated and we only beat them because they were more knackered than we were. Other teams ran all over us, you could see it. Some of that would be a mental thing because we had points in hand, but a lot is to do with selection.

No one assembled a squad with playing every 3.5 games in mind, that's just how the dust settled. Some did better, some did worse. Suddenly Milan looked like world beaters, Atalanta were going to be unstoppable, Sassuolo flew when really they've had a good season and nothing more. When I can be bothered I'll put a table together showing before and after lockdown and we can see how true a reflection that period of 12 games was in contrast to the rest of the season. People can sit and talk about performances all day long, ours were poor for many games, but when the going is clearly shit it and you are in moments of difficulty becomes all about points. That's what pissed me off most in this spell.

We'll look at the table in the middle of the 2020-21 season and see who was simply flattering to deceive or making the most of an abnormal and unique situation.

BTW including the Cagliari and Roma games in the argument is pointless (literally).
Fair point about Lazio i give you that, but let’s not act as if Lazio ever had the depth we have, in their case your overall suggestion applies, but again, Lazio isn’t and will never be Juventus, whether it is depth or mentality you want to compare.

Let’s just agree to disagree for now, i still don’t believe that in any way were even one of the teams that caused us to struggle better equipped than us. (And yeah excluding Cagliari/Roma aswell). Let’s just not picture it as if this is the first time we’ve been faced with an injury crisis or team losing form, to get outplayed in majority of the games or to lose/draw to considerably inferior teams is not what i expect from this Juventus, regardless of circumstances and that’s that.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'm probably going to disagree with everyone on this but I just can't see how we can use other seasons as a yardstick. Other teams is one thing, but it's circumstantial.

And I say that as someone who was increasingly frustrated with Sarri as the period went on. But again, we signed the coach knowing he had these characteristics of being stubborn and playing one way. He had to adapt to not only the Juve culture and pressure which is nothing like Napoli, but also the evolving situation, and I think he did it poorly. I'd expect Allegri would have done a lot better, for example. But (hopefully) we're not going to have a lockdown every season so that plus the scudetto is why Sarri gets another chance, for me.

Boksic

May 11, 2005

I'm not sure that's true. Bentancur was progressing steadily under Allegri. His performances were inconsistent but he was certainly improving in many aspects of his game. He has made a further step this season but who knows if it would have happened under Allegri.

Matuidi was also a regular starter for the majority of the season.

Agreed on Dybala though, his role in Allegri's final season didn't work for him and is better nearer the goal. The false 9 was only really something Sarri did recently though. Again it seemed like he had some personal issues, so we may well have seen an improvement anyway.

Cuadrado at RB has been a success.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We can always argue that the composition of the squad is poor. But a good manager would been able to get the best out of them. This squad also a scudetto last year without much changes apart from Mandzukic, Cancelo and we get Ramsey, Rabiot, Higuain, De Ligt.

The change of manager can always revive the team with several additional players required in the team. We already got Arthur, Kulu.
For example, Milan improving with Pioli replacing Giampaolo with the same roster plus Ibra. Zidane also replacing Lopetegui/Solari from last season without not much transfer. And Flick replacing Kovac and made a great impact, they made a good transfer with Davies, Pavard, Goretzka. And last one is Arteta with Arsenal. Before all their players look suck apart from Aubameyang, but now the players improve like Bellerin, Luiz, Holding, Xhaka, Pepe
Yeah and once upon a time Sarri took over Napoli from Benitez and they had 82 points and 2nd instead of 63 points and 5th. Sometimes a coach settles quickly and other times not so much.

We'll see over time how successful all these coaches will be. Pioli has had very limited success for his entire career.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017

Lets not fool ourselves, everyone knows that Sarri plays only one type of football, everyone in the club did know that, and they knew he isnt going flexibile like Allegri was. In the long run i like teams who play their football no matter the opposition, because they know what they are doing and everyone knows his place, and where his teammate is. At least it proved successful with Barca who played 4-3-3 since 2006 or so. Hope management backs him up with some players who fit his system. Or fire him if they have different plans.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Lets not fool ourselves, everyone knows that Sarri plays only one type of football, everyone in the club did know that, and they knew he isnt going flexibile like Allegri was. In the long run i like teams who play their football no matter the opposition, because they know what they are doing and everyone knows his place, and where his teammate is. At least it proved successful with Barca who played 4-3-3 since 2006 or so. Hope management backs him up with some players who fit his system. Or fire him if they have different plans.
If we keep Sarri for next year and I hope we have a plan to find players that suit him.

Do you follow Arsenal and if so - why?
I dont follow Arsenal much. But i saw them play against Chelsea last night, against Man City in Semi Final and against Liverpool before that. I saw the players is much more discipline and press better than under Emery. They look more confident even though they played against difficult opponent. I read a lot that Arteta has a very good relationship with his players, direct and discipline and made custom and detailed training for his specific player

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Even the most stubborn managers adapt or they never get past needing the absolute best set of players available for their tactics to succeed at the very top.

One of the most impressive things Klopp did at Liverpool was adapt his high intensity press in CL knockouts against certain teams to nullify teams. Their final win against Spurs was a perfect example. He pulled a page out of Allegri’s book and allowed Spurs to press and press, have the lion’s share of possession, more shots, etc... and hit them hard on a few counters. I always liked Klopp, but that made me think even more of him as a manager. And he did this a number of times, modifying tactics to better suit specific CL opponents.

It’s also the reason Guardiola teams post-Barca keep getting exposed in CL often by inferior squads. Pep is a great manager but he stubbornly refuses to adapt even when the opponent calls for it.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
I'm sure you know your stuff, so I am not going to dispute that, but over 90+ minutes, the team that has had more match fitness/practice should prevail, naturally. Also, we have a deep roster for a reason. I don't like Sorri trying to make excuses before the tie has even started. He's such a pathetic loser.
If they're not exhausted beforehand -which shouldn't be the case with a week rest now- you're absolutely right. But we're talking about Sarri and his training methods. I can not remember a weaker Juve condition-wise ever. So I'm more than worried.

We're actually on the same page here, I guess. It shouldn't be an excuse with decent conditioning but it visibly was in the last few weeks...

- - - Updated - - -

Then why not properly rest them when you have the chance?
That, my friend, is the right question.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Even the most stubborn managers adapt or they never get past needing the absolute best set of players available for their tactics to succeed at the very top.

One of the most impressive things Klopp did at Liverpool was adapt his high intensity press in CL knockouts against certain teams to nullify teams. Their final win against Spurs was a perfect example. He pulled a page out of Allegri’s book and allowed Spurs to press and press, have the lion’s share of possession, more shots, etc... and hit them hard on a few counters. I always liked Klopp, but that made me think even more of him as a manager. And he did this a number of times, modifying tactics to better suit specific CL opponents.

It’s also the reason Guardiola teams post-Barca keep getting exposed in CL often by inferior squads. Pep is a great manager but he stubbornly refuses to adapt even when the opponent calls for it.
Basically hipster coaches, not real tacticians. It also took Klopp a long time (and better players) to implement better balance to his play. Too often Liverpool were recklessly gung-ho. It took almost three full seasons to find a good balance. Adding van Dijk and Alisson helped significantly.

I don't think adding a few 4-0 or 5-0 results and maybe a handful of points extra would make any difference to how I judge the season, but I know people do look at these stats and think it is important. Agnelli obviously did as he hired Sarri in the first place. That only added to the pressure when performances regressed rather than improving. To me you get 3 points when you win and goal difference barely even matters in Serie A.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017

It took Klopp 4 years to win a title at Pool. And we want Sarri’s head already.

Arcticdaly

Oct 3, 2018
It took Klopp 4 years to win a title at Pool. And we want Sarri’s head already.

You already did this lame argument with me already, let me show you klopps first 11 when he took over. Does not even compare to players Sarri has right now and he got to Two finals with this team in he's first year and thats not mentioning the double he won at dortmund and CLfinal he reached. Give Klopp Dybala and Ronaldo and probably would had 2 trophies in he's first season easily.

1596392244026.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)