Maurizio Sarri (213 Viewers)

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Proactive play, which includes high press or at least some sort of pressing, is the one thing we hired Sarri for. Have you forgotten games against Ajax last year? It was a clear example why teams sitting back and inviting pressure almost never win CL
I doubt that because we dominated possession in the second leg and got killed on counter attacks. In the two finals 4/7 goals we conceded were on counter attacks while either dominating possession or making a mistake in building up.

Mourinho's Inter, Di Matteo's Chelsea and Ancelotti's RM also disagree. Zidane's RM was a mixture of high press and sitting back while Liverpool defended the whole game last season in the final.

Styles don't win games. Decisions and quality of players and coaches do.

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Proactive play, which includes high press or at least some sort of pressing, is the one thing we hired Sarri for. Have you forgotten games against Ajax last year? It was a clear example why teams sitting back and inviting pressure almost never win CL
pro active play does not inherently require high pressing at all and youve failed to address my point that the squad isnt built for high pressing anyway considering we dont have those attackers.

Jun 6, 2015
pro active play does not inherently require high pressing at all and youve failed to address my point that the squad isnt built for high pressing anyway considering we dont have those attackers.
Lazio beat us twice by exploiting our lazy and ineffective press. They invited us forward and then either played it long or simply passed it through it. Napoli pretty much did the same. Building an effective press around players like Ronaldo and Dybala is a big task and although we've seen it work at times against the lesser sides I really doubt it will ever work well enough against the really good teams that are comfortable on the ball.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Lazio beat us twice by exploiting our lazy and ineffective press. They invited us forward and then either played it long or simply passed it through it. Napoli pretty much did the same. Building an effective press around players like Ronaldo and Dybala is a big task and although we've seen it work at times against the lesser sides I really doubt it will ever work well enough against the really good teams that are comfortable on the ball.
high pressing just to high press is of course going to fail but dont tell the Sarri boys

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Liverpool have morphed into an absolute machine after Klopp partly let go of his crazy gegenpressing. A top team should be able to do both sit off at times and press at times.
Like you’ve previously said, they do remind me a lot of Allegri’s 14-15 Juventus.

They can defend, attack, suffer, dominate and win in many different ways. Complete team.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Liverpool have morphed into an absolute machine after Klopp partly let go of his crazy gegenpressing. A top team should be able to do both sit off at times and press at times.
:tup:
Klopp literally copied Allegri’s blueprint for beating Spurs in 2017-18 CL in the final last year. Spurs again had the like 67% possession and majority of attempts, but like against us, most of the attempts were harmless, and like us Pool took advantage of creating the best chances.

This proactive/reactive shit is nonsense. The ability to impose your style on games is no more important than the ability to react and counter another team’s style effectively. The best teams can do both.

Apr 19, 2007
I doubt that because we dominated possession in the second leg and got killed on counter attacks. In the two finals 4/7 goals we conceded were on counter attacks while either dominating possession or making a mistake in building up.

Mourinho's Inter, Di Matteo's Chelsea and Ancelotti's RM also disagree. Zidane's RM was a mixture of high press and sitting back while Liverpool defended the whole game last season in the final.

Styles don't win games. Decisions and quality of players and coaches do.
I agree to some extent but I think its the mix. Having the right players and tactics to suit the players you have and together being better than the other teams style and quality. Its very complex and not as easy as just saying styles dont win

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
What style of play should we adopt then?

Our forwards don’t work hard enough to play high intensity pressing football.

Our midfield isn’t good enough to play possession/control football.

We don’t have enough speed in attack to play on the counter.

What is the solution?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

What is the solution?
We beat Tottenham in 17-18 playing on the counter with Mandzukic, Higuain, Dybala and Costa/Bernie. And we beat Madrid 3-1 in the return leg that same year with a mix of countering and possession play. Ronaldo added in place of Mandzukic, and a more athletic CM like Bentancur instead of Khedira should help us counter even better

While our lack of top end pace in attack isn’t ideal, a team can easily play on the counter without lightning fast attackers. Just requires quick, incisive movements and passing after winning back possession. You don’t need to create all sorts of 1v1 breakaways with pace, just need smart, quick movement to hit before the defence is fully set. We could easily do this.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

What is the solution?
Maybe adopt a new policy of signing players we need with a clear idea of how we want to play in mind that guides a strategy of building a cohesive and functional squad that isn't, constantly, one injury away from having to change tactics?

Or offer Maxx CR7 tier wages to come back because who but him will be able to make sense of this?

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Its sucks with right now with the Sarriball system wearing out our players. One thing I have noticed this season is when we’re in the lead, we no longer sit back and park the bus till we concede like previous seasons.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Its sucks with right now with the Sarriball system wearing out our players. One thing I have noticed this season is when we’re in the lead, we no longer sit back and park the bus till we concede like previous seasons.
We rarely ever actually conceded in such situations in previous seasons.

Whereas, this season, we concede regularly to lose leads while “not sitting back”

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
I remember different but I’m definitely worried this upcoming CL match and if we lose the game on March 1st. This thread is really going to be on fire :numnum:

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Remember all the "mister!" episodes last season? You're saying that guy isnt capable of pressing?

Its all about balance, you can't press press press for 90 minutes, but you have to be able to do it effectively for periods of game. I prefer our 433/442 hybrid for that over 352.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 209)