Maurizio Sarri (46 Viewers)

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Matuidi also offers a lot of dynamism when we have the ball, when he's in good form he's definitely not useless in posession. I think our best lineup for big CL games is smth like this:

Woj
Cuads-Bonu-Demi-Sandro
Benta-Pjanič-Matuidi
Costa
Dybala-Ronaldo
MDL instead of Demiral for me but overall I agree

- - - Updated - - -

So basically he said Conte is a great coach and Sarri is a useless crap..

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 is a very big change. Holding possession with width and two wingers vs. doing it with no width and 2 strikers + CAM is probably as diametrically opposed as you can get.

So it's quite clear that he changed his tactics this year almost immediately as he was always going for a 4-3-3. He changed the positions of a couple players as well to fit the modality.

So while criticisms of Sarri exist, they should at least be based on something that can't so easily be disproven.

He played 4-3-3 exclusively for multiple years now. It was even called Sarriball. So everyone, myself included, expected him to just hammer pieces into a 4-3-3 no matter what (Dybala at RW or something). But he changed it immediately to try and find something better (whether it's better or not is another debate).

Boksic

May 11, 2005
4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 is a very big change. Holding possession with width and two wingers vs. doing it with no width and 2 strikers + CAM is probably as diametrically opposed as you can get.

So it's quite clear that he changed his tactics this year almost immediately as he was always going for a 4-3-3. He changed the positions of a couple players as well to fit the modality.

So while criticisms of Sarri exist, they should at least be based on something that can't so easily be disproven.
He pretty much exclusively has used 4-3-3 and 4-3-1-2 in his career.

I agree with the width comment but the overriding tactic/philosophy he uses is the same in both (i.e. high line, hundreds short passes, rarely go direct, if plan A isn't working stick with it, play through central regista etc).

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

But that was a necessity when the squad has 1.5 wingers. Maybe a formation with 3 man backline but Sarri refuses to change to a 3 man backline

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
He pretty much exclusively has used 4-3-3 and 4-3-1-2 in his career.

I agree with the width comment but the overriding tactic/philosophy he uses is the same in both (i.e. high line, hundreds short passes, rarely go direct, if plan A isn't working stick with it, play through central regista etc).
We've seen deviation from Plan A which was basically to just put all the attackers on the pitch at once. Which is pretty standard for most coaches. It's clear that Plan B is Dybala at CAM and we've seen it. I think a better current Plan B would be wingers/crosses and we haven't seen that but we haven't had wingers either.

I can't accept that he doesn't want to go direct. Napoli was absolutely lethal going direct. Mertens was behind the line every match that we saw. Have we seen it that much at Juve? Not so far. Ronaldo goes in behind and screams at the air when he doesn't get the ball. Dybala goes in behind. Higuain doesn't because he's slow. Most of the time the opposition is really deep though so it's hard.

I think he will never change the regista between 2 CBs. That one I really have to agree.

The high line so far is concrete as well although there really hasn't been a reason to sit deep. I think we'll have to see how the UCL unfolds for the answer to that question.

But lots of successful coaches have some central tenants that are sometimes worth being consistent with. It's still hard to evaluate him at Juve because we haven't had a knockout UCL tie yet. And we breezed the group so there weren't a ton of adjustments he had to make.

- - - Updated - - -

But that was a necessity when the squad has 1.5 wingers. Maybe a formation with 3 man backline but Sarri refuses to change to a 3 man backline
There are times I want to see something like a 3-4-1-2 but I understand when Sarri says that a 3 man backline always turns into a 5 man backline and we've seen evidence of that when Conte was here and I can't really disagree with that thought.

I think it's better long-term to work out a formation that plays with 4 at the back and if you can work in 3 at the back to win a couple league matches here and there, fine. I would prefer that actually but I don't think it will stop us from winning the UCL. We would have to do that on the back of a consistent play style, I think.

Last edited:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Seeing a lot of the same time tonight. Some promising ideas in midfield but an inability to cut out the small mistakes, particularly in transition, continues to be a real issue resulting in turnovers.

Unsurprisingly we do look slightly better with Rabiot and Ramsey but some of the same silly issues remain and we are primarily in the lead because of Roma's terrible two errors

Lol as i type this Pjanic casually lobs the ball to the top of our own box resulting in a cuadrado yellow and direct FK. :disagree:

When these issues remain, even with the phasing in of more technical midfielders, Sarri needs to start providing answers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 45)