out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Allegri: 'Juve must finish opponents'

By Football Italia staff

Max Allegri told Juventus not to “rest on our laurels” as they host bottom of the table Chievo. “When opponents are clinging on, you need to finish them.”
It kicks off on Sunday at 19.30 GMT, click here for a match preview.
“It’s Juventus-Chievo and we need to take it very seriously indeed,” warned the Coach in his Press conference.
“Since Mimmo Di Carlo has taken over, they’ve managed five draws, a victory and just one defeat. They can believe in and fight for Serie A safety to the very end.
We must learn to kill games off, because when the opponents are clinging on, you need to finish them. We mustn’t give them the opportunity to get back into it. @JCK This squad has the DNA of champions and that means we must work every day to get better, not rest on our laurels.”
The Bianconeri beat Milan 1-0 in Jeddah on Wednesday to win the Supercoppa, their first trophy of the campaign.
“Rodrigo Bentancur got a knock in Jeddah and is rested. We’ll try to have Mario Mandzukic back against Lazio, while Andrea Barzagli and Medhi Benatia are working towards recovery. Juan Cuadrado is a long way off.
“Miralem Pjanic has a bruised calf muscle, but he’s suspended anyway, so has a week to recover. I believe our big January signing will be Sami Khedira, because he hasn’t been able to contribute much so far this season due to injuries.
“I can confirm we’ll make a few changes tomorrow, so Mattia De Sciglio will be on the right, Alex Sandro on the left, with Mattia Perin in goal. Daniele Rugani will play with either Giorgio Chiellini or Leonardo Bonucci in defence. Federico Bernardeschi will start upfront.”
Allegri had said Leonardo Spinazzola would stay, but opened up the door to a potential loan for Bologna.
“Spinazzola will only leave if we have a suitable replacement.”
Juventus squad for Chievo: Szczesny, Perin, Pinsoglio; De Sciglio, Chiellini, Alex Sandro, Bonucci, Cancelo, Rugani, Spinazzola; Khedira, Matuidi, Emre Can, Bentancur; Ronaldo, Dybala, Douglas Costa, Kean, Bernardeschi

- - - Updated - - -

Meanwhile Atalanta's entire attack is worth less than half of Ronaldo but have scored more goals than Juventus. :boh:

- - - Updated - - -

RONALDO – “He doesn’t need Zapata’s goals to have motivations. He is always looking for motivations, like all of us. We need to begin the new year in Serie A in the best way possible. We’ve won the first trophy and we must continue to do well”.

CANCELO – “Tomorrow he will rest. De Sciglio will play on the right, Alex Sandro will play on the left and Rugani will replace one between Chiellini and Bonucci. Perin will replace Szczesny. If we play with two midfielders Douglas Costa will play with Bernardeschi, if we play with three midfielders we’ll see because I need substitutions”.

INJURED – “Let’s see if we can recover Mandzukic for the Lazio clash. It will be difficult but we’ll try. Barzagli is working, Benatia is out and Cuadrado is dead (he laughs). Pjanic is improving after the injury at his calf but tomorrow he is suspended so he has one week to recover”.

TRANSFERS – “He’ll be like a new signing for us. He is our January signing. Spinazzola can leave if we find a replacement. If not, he’ll stay here”.

IMPROVE – “We need to close the games; the solution is mental not tactical. We need to understand when the opponents are about to die and that’s when we must hit them and kill them”.

DNA – “It makes the difference in here. Every day people come here to improve and to reach targets. The DNA makes the difference. It’s hard to win the leagues because you can’t afford stops”.

DYBALA – “He is an important player for us. He has goal chances, he’s always had them. Now we close the action earlier than before. We shoot on target before mainly because of Ronaldo. Paulo can improve, everybody must do a little step ahead”.

He is absolutely on point about killing games off which is very good. In matches where we are more adventurous going forward than our past normal, we need to take our chances and kill the game off.

Part of this is definitely mental, but also another part is tactical and I disagree with him there. When you have attacking patterns and last third combinations memorized, the goals themselves become memorized and the wastefulness goes down. Think of City in Pep's first season vs the second. In the first they were still learning the new patterns he was drilling into them and they were wasteful af. In the second and third seasons they scored the same goals over and over again. Sterling/Aguero/etc...now know where they will likely get the ball infront of goal and which angles of shooting they should practice etc.. and thats how a player like Sterling can transform his finishing (something that was unnatural to him in the past).

Re-transfers: We shouldnt forget our financial restrictions despite the signing of Ronaldo. This was an anomaly Para/allegri has to continue being resourceful with a limited budget. Dont expect us to stop going for the Khedira's and Ramsey's at least until Ronaldo transforms our financial power

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
We are so overpowered in Italy its really hilarious. But it has to be said that our gameplay is very poor and we look nothing like CK trophy contenders. Unless Allegri lifts this teams gameplay a level or two higher im afraid its goint to be another dissapointing CL season. Im really hoping that our gameplay is so bad because Allegri is timing our form.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Exactly. Madrid was terrible last season in La Liga and still won CL.

Liverpool finished 4th in EPL last season and was their opponent.

League form has little to do with CL, also evidenced by the fact we’ve never managed to win both Serie A and CL in the same year.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
I belive that Allegri has lost the plot, he is hallucinating recently with his press conference. Prior to that he was always spot on, his last few were a disaster and now with the Khedira comment, he just went full retard and everyone knows you don't go full retard.

Also what is this talk about wanting to kill off games where not a single time we looked like we cared to killing off games.
We kill off games by sitting back and defending. I dont think he means for us to score another goal.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
Did Madrid look like CL title contenders in la liga last year?
The only thing we need is better finishing, and that's why we brought the GOAT
You compare the most lucky team in CL to the most un lucky one in this competition ... half legs RM will win.. even this year im afraid they could do so ...

The thing scratch my head how lucky they are when the they won the first 5 ones... that time only few teams , and i dont know if their were lights or no ....

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I belive that Allegri has lost the plot, he is hallucinating recently with his press conference. Prior to that he was always spot on, his last few were a disaster and now with the Khedira comment, he just went full retard and everyone knows you don't go full retard.

Also what is this talk about wanting to kill off games where not a single time we looked like we cared to killing off games.
Lol you know he doesn't mean it literally right? He said it because Khedira has been injured most of the season. Heard several coaches say that about a player coming back from long injury.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Lol you know he doesn't mean it literally right? He said it because Khedira has been injured most of the season. Heard several coaches say that about a player coming back from long injury.

It doesn't matter what he means, it's still cringe.

Skickat från min H9436 via Tapatalk

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
There are two different ways you can be made to chase the ball and it will look like you're "sitting back".

You can literally choose to sit back and sometimes a sub like Barzagli or Sturaro at CAM would indicate that.

Or you can be *too* attack minded and be left without enough players both numerically and stylistically capable of retrieving the ball from the other team.

I guarantee there will be times very soon where we are "sitting back" with CR7, Mario and Dybala all playing at the same time simply because we will not be able to recoup the ball.

In my opinion, Allegri has always been very aggressive in big matches. In big matches I would prefer only 1 striker. Most managers would as well. But Allegri has always played two. Without a thought, there was always Dybala + Higuain, before that Tevez + Morata. With two strikers, you are immediately sacrificing a man in midfield (unless you have a team full of psychos and a psycho coach like Atletico).

So you are risking the fact that you will not have enough coverage to take the ball back from the opponent. As such, you will chase it around and it looks like you are choosing to sit back.

Our clash last year vs. Madrid shows the difference between two strikers and one. Anyone can see the difference in our play between the two matches.

Right now we are effectively playing THREE strikers. If we come up against a team with a strong midfield, it's almost suicidal. Right now Allegri's tactic is to tell the opponent that they will have to mark 3 strikers. You can choose whether to bring your fullbacks into play, it's up to you. Do you want to bring your DM all the way up the pitch into possession and risk Dybala finding a space underneath Mario? Do you really want to attack with your full team? So far we haven't found a team that will risk it, so in a way it helps our defence. And it also might help our midfield from being pressed too badly as the field of play is more spread out.

But to be clear, there is no scenario where you are choosing to sit back with CR7, Mario and Dybala all on the field.

Last edited:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
We do not play defensive football, we play too slow and predictable in build up, but it's definitely heavy possession dominating approach. That we seem so ineffective around the box does not make it defensive or too pragmatic.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
We do not play defensive football, we play too slow and predictable in build up, but it's definitely heavy possession dominating approach. That we seem so ineffective around the box does not make it defensive or too pragmatic.

We do play defensive football by killing the game each and every time we take the lead. We do not do it right away, we try to score another after taking the lead but after several desperate attempts we tend to sit back and play ultra defensively. We also seem to want to rely on counter attacks but we suck so hard at doing anything when we take the ball on the break.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
The way we play can be summarized in one word IMO: confidence.
The team takes it slow because it has nowhere to rush, they know a goal will come, they know the opponent is scared and will get tired before them, they know the opponent is unlikely to score, also they know there's always a next game.

But this approach will not fly in CL, and that's why we're all worried.
BUT, we definitely did not have this approach against MU (just shitty/unlucky finishing), and that is reason for optimism.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
You compare the most lucky team in CL to the most un lucky one in this competition ... half legs RM will win.. even this year im afraid they could do so ...

The thing scratch my head how lucky they are when the they won the first 5 ones... that time only few teams , and i dont know if their were lights or no ....
Luck has nothing to do with it, you think inter is unlucky? It's a culture thing, and that's why ronaldo is here. But that's not the point, form in the league for a veteran team is no indicator for how well they will do in CL, that's the point.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
There are two different ways you can be made to chase the ball and it will look like you're "sitting back".

You can literally choose to sit back and sometimes a sub like Barzagli or Sturaro at CAM would indicate that.

Or you can be *too* attack minded and be left without enough players both numerically and stylistically capable of retrieving the ball from the other team.

I guarantee there will be times very soon where we are "sitting back" with CR7, Mario and Dybala all playing at the same time simply because we will not be able to recoup the ball.

In my opinion, Allegri has always been very aggressive in big matches. In big matches I would prefer only 1 striker. Most managers would as well. But Allegri has always played two. Without a thought, there was always Dybala + Higuain, before that Tevez + Morata. With two strikers, you are immediately sacrificing a man in midfield (unless you have a team full of psychos and a psycho coach like Atletico).

So you are risking the fact that you will not have enough coverage to take the ball back from the opponent. As such, you will chase it around and it looks like you are choosing to sit back.

Our clash last year vs. Madrid shows the difference between two strikers and one. Anyone can see the difference in our play between the two matches.

Right now we are effectively playing THREE strikers. If we come up against a team with a strong midfield, it's almost suicidal. Right now Allegri's tactic is to tell the opponent that they will have to mark 3 strikers. You can choose whether to bring your fullbacks into play, it's up to you. Do you want to bring your DM all the way up the pitch into possession and risk Dybala finding a space underneath Mario? Do you really want to attack with your full team? So far we haven't found a team that will risk it, so in a way it helps our defence. And it also might help our midfield from being pressed too badly as the field of play is more spread out.

But to be clear, there is no scenario where you are choosing to sit back with CR7, Mario and Dybala all on the field.
Holy crap this is a good post.

@Mark how can I give like, agree, thanks, love and useful all at the same time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 40, Guests: 165)