out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Guardiola:"Tactics are to put them on the pitch to help them to express their talent more often. I use tactics to create some patterns so everyone can be more comfortable. That gives them more time to express their talent as much as possible."
Contrast this with Allegri's statement from earlier and what he also said a few years ago:

"I am not an obsessive manager. I really like football, it's my passion, but I try to run things as simply as possible. To me, football is not complicated, it's simple. So is the strategy of the games, it shouldn't complicate things. Because there's two aspects: defence and attack. Attacking is more about creativity, and defending is more about organization. I believe I can give more to the players in the defensive aspect than in the offensive aspect. I can organize them to defend well, but the attacking aspect is about talent and creativity and I don't want to get in the way of that talent. Am I supposed to tell Kean how to move inside the box, train certain movements with him? No, he doesn't need that. The passes that Rabiot pulls out of nowhere: do you think I ever tell him "pass the ball like this, if this player moves here you do that? No, that's all him."
:lol: and we wonder why Kulusevski struggled here

2 years ago he said

Allegri insists the way to get the best out of players such as Ronaldo is to give them free licence to do as they wish on the field and not weigh them down with tactics.

"When the ball gets to Ronaldo, Dybala, Ronaldinho, Seedorf or Pirlo, I have to put the other players in a position to get the ball to them," Allegri told ESPN.

"Once they have the ball they decide what to do with it, what the best decision is. My son is eight and every now and then we go on YouTube and watch the great players, the amazing things they do in attack and in defence, because football is art.

"In Italy, the tactics, schemes, they're all bull****. Football is art and the artists are the world-class players.

"You don't have to teach them anything, you just admire them. All you need to do is put them in the best condition to do well.

"I love it when I see a great player do something amazing. On the bench, I'm a spectator watching a show put on by someone, and that someone is a player."

Allegri also claimed the introduction of more technology is clouding the judgement of coaches.

"In my ignorance I don’t even have a computer," he added. "I've got an iPad that Juventus gave me. I watch games on it, pull up some stats. Fortunately I've got a good memory and I manage to remember what happens in games.

"A coach has to be on the sideline. He has to breathe the game, he has to understand when it’s time to make a sub or take off his best player because the team needs a different kind of player.

"The perception is different from the sideline. They're making out football to be an exact science. If that's the case, the coach may as well go to the cinema. If you mechanise everything, you no longer have thinking players.

"If the players are used to going through that door and the door is locked, they'll end up banging their heads against it. If the players are used to thinking for themselves, they'll try to find another way out."

By his own philosophy he doesn't coach to offensive patterns of play, he doesnt train to a system. Other top coaches are data informed and coach to a system that serves as their foundation. That system is their identity and the more magical players improvise from that.

Allegri gives a loose structure and players have to improvise from there. Thats why he can thrive in a veteran studded-Ibra led Milan or tweaking a Juve system he inherited adding extra freedom to key players like Tevez. However, with a young and/or dysfunctional team "you no longer have thinking players." becomes the extreme opposite of "every player has to think through everything" hence, broken build-up, slow tempo, deer in headlights paralysis. They're improvising fully in real time and don't have neither the skill nor experience to do it on the fly.

If you're wondering how the times can pass by a formerly successful coach, look no further than how their philosophy is so different from almost every other currently successful coach. The guy by his own admission doesn't value systems and doesn't value performance data in this day and age. Allegrisaurus in a nutshell

- - - Updated - - -

"I am not an obsessive manager. I really like football, it's my passion, but I try to run things as simply as possible. To me, football is not complicated, it's simple. So is the strategy of the games, it shouldn't complicate things. Because there's two aspects: defence and attack. Attacking is more about creativity, and defending is more about organization. I believe I can give more to the players in the defensive aspect than in the offensive aspect. I can organize them to defend well, but the attacking aspect is about talent and creativity and I don't want to get in the way of that talent. Am I supposed to tell Kean how to move inside the box, train certain movements with him? No, he doesn't need that. The passes that Rabiot pulls out of nowhere: do you think I ever tell him "pass the ball like this, if this player moves here you do that? No, that's all him."
Whats the source of this?

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Ha for real? If it is I salute the faker because its not beyond the pale and fits with his previous statements. It'd be such a job well-done at fake news :lol:

Here is another one in the same vein

Juventus Coach Massimiliano Allegri believes an obsession with systems and tactics is holding Italian football back.

The Bianconeri boss spoke to newspaper La Repubblica about the state of the Italian game, and is worried that a focus on tactics is holding it back.

“I’m worried that we’re treating young players like battery hens,” Allegri warned.

Juventus Coach Massimiliano Allegri believes an obsession with systems and tactics is holding Italian football back.

The Bianconeri boss spoke to newspaper La Repubblica about the state of the Italian game, and is worried that a focus on tactics is holding it back.

“I’m worried that we’re treating young players like battery hens,” Allegri warned.

“In Italy, the national youth teams call-up the players which are best suited to the system. In Germany they call up the best players and then work out where to play them.

“That’s the difference. Football has changed.

“[Arrigo] Sacchi revolutionised football, but at that time it was easier to surprise people.

“Before everything was filmed and analysed, it took three years to figure out how to neutralise [Zdenek] Zeman’s 4-3-3.

“You can’t surprise anyone these days, so you have to rely on talent.

“I’m not one who goes crazy about plans, I’m more impulsive. Most of the times when inspiration strikes me it’s when I’m not thinking about it.

“I often come up with formation changes in the middle of the night.

“It’s nonsense to say that you can understand the game better from the stands. Up there you’re out of it, you have to stay in the fray, and correctly read a look, or a moment.

“Football is not just tactics and schemes.

“Some people want to turn football into a science, but there’s nothing scientific about it. It’s a show, and shows are performed by artists.

“We can talk for hours about organisation and patterns of play, but players win you matches.

“If you have [Lionel] Messi you’re practically starting the game 2-0 up. It’s the same with [Cristiano] Ronaldo.

“If it’s tactics that make you win, then why did Real Madrid spend €100m on Bale on the transfer market?

“In Italy if you go to see a game, mark the formation on a piece of paper and then fall asleep, when you wake up an hour later the players will be in exactly the same positions as before.

“If you have people like [Zlatan] Ibra[himovic], [Clarence] Seedorf, [Andrea] Pirlo, [Carlos] Tevez, [Alessandro] Nesta, Thiago Silva or [Leonardo] Bonucci you’ve got to put your trust in them.”

https://football-italia.net/allegri-calcio-too-tactical/

Last edited:

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Ha for real? If it is I salute the faker because its not beyond the pale and fits with his previous statements. It'd be such a job well-done at fake news :lol:

Here is another one in the same vein
What do you think of this quote
Allegri:"In Italy, everyone has become a theorist of football and that is a real problem, like you reading your books and sitting as an expert on tv.Now you shut up and I’ll talk, you don’t know anything about football."
“You just sit there behind the desk, you read your books, but you don’t know anything about the practicality of the sport. I’ve won six Scudetti."

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Allegri:"In Italy, everyone has become a theorist of football and that is a real problem, like you reading your books and sitting as an expert on tv.Now you shut up and I’ll talk, you don’t know anything about football."
“You just sit there behind the desk, you read your books, but you don’t know anything about the practicality of the sport. I’ve won six Scudetti."
In the article Hist linked he's basically downplaying the importance of a coach and saying tactics don't matter, case in point Bale being bought for 90 millions. But he's only paid 9 millions Net for a job that doesn't matter, woops.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
When coaches are cornered in a really bad spot they often get defensive and parade their past titles to silence criticism and almost always it never works. Just a sign of mounting pressure and a hurt ego. Mou did this most famously after his team got smashed and the pressure was building

Ofc at the end it's about delivering in the present, thats how he can put the criticism to bed and this guy hasn't delivered in years the criticism is very warranted.

Its not just a Tuz thing (I cant imagine he even knows this forum exists the guy doesnt have a computer if you believe him) its Italy wide and I am sure it hurts him to hear the criticism from former players and other dinosaur coaches like Capello and Sacchi pile on him.

Ran into this while looking up his quotes and this argument was made before his failed return https://breakingthelines.com/opinio...balls-modern-day-misnomer-remains-unemployed/

- - - Updated - - -

In the article Hist linked he's basically downplaying the importance of a coach and saying tactics don't matter, case in point Bale being bought for 90 millions. But he's only paid 9 millions Net for a job that doesn't matter, woops.

He is not wrong in saying he is dying for Di Maria and Pogba to return. He needs experienced veterans that think for themselves and create for themselves his whole approach rests on it. He wants an Ibra or a Seedorf. Even Khedira and Matuidi whom he leveraged so often. You're seeing Vlahovic trying to do that this season he is basically asked to be our Ibra

Last edited:

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
The 4th to last team for touch within 18m per 90. The three bottom are Bologna, Lecce, and Monza.

And we just play against Roma, Fiorentina as tough opponent.
Today Roma just lose to Lugdogorets, played almost the same players against us with Belotti/Shomurodov for Abraham. Fiorentina just draw at home against RFS. Both actually a beatable opponents

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I reckon it's an older quote from when he was winning the league with 15pts and got shat on for boring football. And I sided with him 100% because winners are always right. Also winners get to be smug and insult their critics with a shit-eating grin.

But Max is a loser today and losers are always wrong, they have to lower their eyes and mumble 'we'll try to do better I promise'

Such is the law

juve_juve_juve

Oct 17, 2005
I reckon it's an older quote from when he was winning the league with 15pts and got shat on for boring football. And I sided with him 100% because winners are always right. Also winners get to be smug and insult their critics with a shit-eating grin.

But Max is a loser today and losers are always wrong, they have to lower their eyes and mumble 'we'll try to do better I promise'

Such is the law
Wow lol what a laughable worldview, I guess you would totally suck the dicks of the ultra rich and powerful people no matter how much they raped you ain't it? Because they're the winners and therefore always right... I guess if they told you that 1+1 = 5 you'd totally preach it to others right? Because they get to decide what's right just because they've won in life.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Wow lol what a laughable worldview, I guess you would totally suck the dicks of the ultra rich and powerful people no matter how much they raped you ain't it? Because they're the winners and therefore always right... I guess if they told you that 1+1 = 5 you'd totally preach it to others right? Because they get to decide what's right just because they've won in life.
:sergio:

singus

Sep 22, 2020
Contrast this with Allegri's statement from earlier and what he also said a few years ago:

:lol: and we wonder why Kulusevski struggled here

2 years ago he said

By his own philosophy he doesn't coach to offensive patterns of play, he doesnt train to a system. Other top coaches are data informed and coach to a system that serves as their foundation. That system is their identity and the more magical players improvise from that.

Allegri gives a loose structure and players have to improvise from there. Thats why he can thrive in a veteran studded-Ibra led Milan or tweaking a Juve system he inherited adding extra freedom to key players like Tevez. However, with a young and/or dysfunctional team "you no longer have thinking players." becomes the extreme opposite of "every player has to think through everything" hence, broken build-up, slow tempo, deer in headlights paralysis. They're improvising fully in real time and don't have neither the skill nor experience to do it on the fly.

If you're wondering how the times can pass by a formerly successful coach, look no further than how their philosophy is so different from almost every other currently successful coach. The guy by his own admission doesn't value systems and doesn't value performance data in this day and age. Allegrisaurus in a nutshell

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the source of this?

Wait, are some of those quotes real?? If so, then thats SHOCKING. How can we or anyone employ such a freak? He sounds like he think he can get away with only doing 10% of the work of other managers because he is somehow gifted? and let players figure things out on their own. What a delusional narcissist "coach". And it sounds like he isnt using technology as he says, he remembers everything instead? WTF is that.
Todays football is all about small details and using data to optimize and improve step by step. No wonder we suck on every parameter and run out of steam after 10 minutes of "efforts".

Sack this fraud immediately and lets pretend it never happened.

Aug 2, 2005
What smart strategy. If you rarely have the ball around the opposition box then it’s likely you won’t get countered and can keep goals conceded to a minimum.
""League are won by the strongest defense"" this statement is supported by stats

I really hope he turn things around

I wish i can say I am not going to whine and complain and street Allegri till after all injured players are back... i will try to do that

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I think Allegri is ready to be replaced because he seems unmotivated to me (ever since he came back). But frankly I don't think many coaches would do better with our current squad. There's no formation we can really play at this point. Both are starting wingers (Di Maria and Chiesa) are plagued by injury. Their backups Cuadrado and Kostic are more of wingbacks who can't bring any goal- or offensive threat. We don't have #10 or SS to be playing a 2-striker formation either.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
So the training sessions are role playing then? We should bring stylists then to immerse the players into their roles.
Bring a wig and nose extender to Vlahovic "You are Ibra now!"
Paint Di Maria's body "You are Seedorf!"
Wig and a facial mask with Pirlo's face on it for Paredes
Paint Rabiot "You are Matuidi!"
To Kostic, Allegri admits he never had someone similar. So he just makes him bold and tells him "You're Beckham!"

I agree with handing out freedom and responsibility, not limiting creativity. But you need a structure too. At work if someone told me to just do ma thang I wouldn't always know where to start. I want a foundation and some things to work without having to think about it. Especially if things get rough, I want something to fall back on. Kind of automated behaviors (patterns). If I am tired, I put on auto pilot (which needs patterns). Defending needs organization, I agree, but attacking needs a plan too and ideas on how to achieve those "attacks".

Didn't see first half against PSG but second half was at least a step in the right direction. Strange that your sole "tactic" is to put on players that do most of the job for you. If you are a low tier team his impact will be seen and valuable. He is good in organization defense as you say. But for a team aspiring for scudetto that should be attacking a lot more than defending... and your sole contribution to that is to ask someone else to buy creative players...?

- - - Updated - - -

I think Allegri is ready to be replaced because he seems unmotivated to me (ever since he came back). But frankly I don't think many coaches would do better with our current squad. There's no formation we can really play at this point. Both are starting wingers (Di Maria and Chiesa) are plagued by injury. Their backups Cuadrado and Kostic are more of wingbacks who can't bring any goal- or offensive threat. We don't have #10 or SS to be playing a 2-striker formation either.
Ancelotti solved it with the christmas tree v2 (one striker instead of two). Let Fagioli and Miretti roam and put named wingbacks as fullbacks to create width. We are not winning this year so to make the most out of it, give the kids as much experience as possible so that we can go for the scudetto with the new coach.

I understand, I just think there are solutions too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 235)