out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Does zonal marking ever work? I've only ever really heard it mentioned it in the context of absolute disasters.
you mean for corners and freekicks right? because in open play for the past few decades everyone marks zonally, sometimes with the exception of putting a specific player in charge of defending oppositions playmaker / best player 1v1. if they didn't defend with zonal marking, the fullbacks would never dare attacking.

for freekicks and corner kicks I'd say in the end both depend on the quality of the players, I haven't seen sufficient data to suggest that man marking or zonal marking leads to less dangerous situations from corner kicks, if zonal was absolute disaster every time, it should be evident in the data. for sure man marking is easier to implement though, zonal needs a lot of prep. some of the stigma towards zonal marking set pieces probably comes from where the blame is placed when you concede - for zonal the system is usually the culprit while for man marking the individual usually is the donkey.

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
Dec 23, 2012
you mean for corners and freekicks right? because in open play for the past few decades everyone marks zonally, sometimes with the exception of putting a specific player in charge of defending oppositions playmaker / best player 1v1. if they didn't defend with zonal marking, the fullbacks would never dare attacking.

for freekicks and corner kicks I'd say in the end both depend on the quality of the players, I haven't seen sufficient data to suggest that man marking or zonal marking leads to less dangerous situations from corner kicks, if zonal was absolute disaster every time, it should be evident in the data. for sure man marking is easier to implement though, zonal needs a lot of prep. some of the stigma towards zonal marking set pieces probably comes from where the blame is placed when you concede - for zonal the system is usually the culprit while for man marking the individual usually is the donkey.
for set pieces i think most teams do a mixture, some players covering zones with abit of man marking on the big dangers

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
"We need to improve the quality of passes and be more serene, we are in a hurry to build from the back and we should not. We must improve, Inter are a physical team and we’ll need to make the most of every episode tomorrow."

Sarri and Pirlo always accused our players of not moving the ball fast enough and here's why.

After so many years of being told to slow things down and be patient it is all the players know.

This is not how the modern game is played unfortunately so we need to move the ball out much quicker and don't give opponents to catch a breath and get back in to their shape.

Jäger

May 2, 2021
"We need to improve the quality of passes and be more serene, we are in a hurry to build from the back and we should not.
So wrong on every level. This is why we never create anything. We take our time and let all of the opponent get behind the ball, then we play pointless horizontal football in their half for 15 mins with an 'inshallah hope for the best' cross into the box every now and then, to no avail. Now I understand why Sandro always backpasses whenever he gets to the halfway line on a counter, because he's probably been instructed to. So frustrating.

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
So wrong on every level. This is why we never create anything. We take our time and let all of the opponent get behind the ball, then we play pointless horizontal football in their half for 15 mins with an 'inshallah hope for the best' cross into the box every now and then, to no avail. Now I understand why Sandro always backpasses whenever he gets to the halfway line on a counter, because he's probably been instructed to. So frustrating.
It's not only the build up play, we are the same way defensively. We tend to give the player with the ball so much time even around our 18...it's so frustrating and so much unlike Juventus mentality which is close down space instead we look like fucking arsenal on defence.

Paolino

Nov 1, 2013
Massimiliano Allegri’s agent Giovanni Branchini: “Allegri was one step away from being appointed as new Real Madrid manager in May. It was all done”, he revealed to Sky ⚪️ “The agreement was done. He only needed to put a signature on the contract. Then he chose to re-join Juve”.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You need to know when to raise the tempo. If you try to play fast no matter the circumstances you will just lose the ball foolishly.

It's about keeping the possession and when there's space you raise the tempo and try to exploit the opportunity.
Don’t expect Dingus and his pal Jager to understand that any football other than all out gegenpress 100% of the time can be successful. :lol3:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 318)