Martin Cáceres (4 Viewers)

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Personally i see Caceres as a similar case to Vargas, marcelo (madrid's player). both players impressed many people out there with Catania, Fluminense as fullbacks but they were pretty error-prone at that position. Prandelli and Pellegrini both being the flexible guys that they are, managed to move the two of them into a winger's position which worked just fine.

Defensively Caceres is really worrying the signs are there, he's struggling to defend against a pretty average Serie A wingers and fullbacks how would he cope with the much better wingers out there in europe !

Lucky Luke

Jul 23, 2007
Personally i see Caceres as a similar case to Vargas, marcelo (madrid's player). both players impressed many people out there with Catania, Fluminense as fullbacks but they were pretty error-prone at that position. Prandelli and Pellegrini both being the flexible guys that they are, managed to move the two of them into a winger's position which worked just fine.

Defensively Caceres is really worrying the signs are there, he's struggling to defend against a pretty average Serie A wingers and fullbacks how would he cope with the much better wingers out there in europe !
and guess what.when we signed him,he was a CB...this season he was transformed into a RB and now he's gonna be a wing back/midfielder

May 22, 2007
He hasn't really struggled since his first few weeks here, he's only made silly errors against Bayern (a top class team, but in that match we were completely ass raped) and Parma where he got the red card (and even then he didn't struggle in the game). Shunned Inter off quite awesomely.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
He hasn't really struggled since his first few weeks here, he's only made silly errors against Bayern (a top class team, but in that match we were completely ass raped) and Parma where he got the red card (and even then he didn't struggle in the game). Shunned Inter off quite awesomely.
A certain molinaro played really well against Inter yet so many here considered the guy a joke.

Watching Caceres on that right side of the defence is just a scary thought. You can't help but think that in any moment of the game he'll screw things up. I like he's attitude, the way he fights in the game and he's offensive game but technically he has a pretty serious flaws IMO specially when he's defending and you can't teach that to a defender.

May 22, 2007
A certain molinaro played really well against Inter yet so many here considered the guy a joke.

Watching Caceres on that right side of the defence is just a scary thought. You can't help but think that in any moment of the game he'll screw things up. I like he's attitude, the way he fights in the game and he's offensive game but technically he has a pretty serious flaws IMO specially when he's defending and you can't teach that to a defender.
True, but that's because he was completely pathetic in a lot of his decisions every game and regularly wrecked every attack we made.

I don't see how you can't teach a defender to defend better though. Look at Chiellini, he improved heaps as a defender since his switch to center back.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
yeah and cheese is better than yoghourt:crazy:

you cannot seriously be comparing a forward minded player with a defensive player
His point is not valid. So what if he's (or was) warming their bench. You shouldn't judge a player based on that and he's ten times better than Cassetti and Burdisso. It's just Ranieri's strategy not to play him, which is not anything weird really.

It's about talent, not position, and it's barely just an essence of my post.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
talent is subjective,Zidane was sublime but i loved Montero

now Zidane was the more skilful player,but he couldn't tackle worth toffee

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
talent is subjective,Zidane was sublime but i loved Montero

now Zidane was the more skilful player,but he couldn't tackle worth toffee
Talent isn't subjective. Talent comes in many different forms whether that be dribbling or tackling ability. Its what we define as 'beautiful football' that's completely subjective and in many cases people prefer to watch Zidane to Montero.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
that is true,but to say that Giovinco is more talented than caceras is like comparing chalk to cheese
You're absolutely right. There's no comparing the physical brawn of Caceres to the flair of Giovinco. Two different positions and two different purposes. The "apples to oranges" analogy sounds more appealing than chalk to cheese, by the way. :D

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009

The defenders, at a younger age, who show promise, are the defenders who have a natural talent for defending. I have not seen this natural talent in Caceres. He is useful moving forward. He has heart, and determination, and a lively spirit. He can cross...but as a defender, he isn't great. Grygera is far better at covering and timing his challenges. When Grygera would hold off and wait, Caceres will dive IN.

Do not get me wrong here. I like Caceres. He is exciting...but the excitement is as due to his tendency to fuck up as it is to stride forward and put into the box a decent ball. And with the rest of our defence, presently, hardly encouraging, other than Chiellini, why the hell would we invest decent money on a player who is yet to show natural talent for defending???

I truly hope to see him tried at centreback. Perhaps we would see something different...but if I am being honest, as a defender, Molinaro and Grygera are both more reliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)