Martin Cáceres (29 Viewers)

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Caceres is just like Molinaro but with better crossing ability.. He's not worth the 12 12 mill buy option and i don't want us to buy flop from Barca with that amount of money while we can't even offload some flop from our squad like Tiago for just lesser amount..

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
This thread is just one big merry-go-round. The people who just analyze how he does, purely judging him on his quality as a player, explaining to the people who just really enjoy to see someone give his all, play with his heart, that he's really not that good.

I love it :D

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
How many times did people change their opinion about Caceres so far? Like 5 times at least.

His forward runs can be great, crosses are nice too. On the other side his decisions are awful from time to time, he's really inconsistent. You can watch him till the end of the season, I doubt much will change. I wonder if he'd make a good partner next to Chiellini though. I'd like to see that now. But the guy seems even more crazy than Montero.

But it's very simple, his release clause is 12mln euros and he's not worth it at all.
Totally agree Dusan. The guy shows really nice flashes, and a lot of really poor decision making. Extremely inconsistent, frequently infuriating... but he does possess good pace, agility and he's a decent passer. He's a good athlete, all told.

Considering that he's only 22, and he's playing out of position, I feel like people are being too harsh on him - especially when they say things like he'll never learn. None of us can say that definitively right now. Players develop at different rates, depending on natural ability, opportunity/confidence, environment, etc.

I would like to see him partner Chiellini a few times before we make a decision, if for no other reason than that was the point of grabbing him on loan in the first place! It doesn't exactly show great vision to get a young player on loan, and then really only field him out of position. How many times has he played CB? 1 game, as a sub? Something like that? I can't really remember... but it's next to nothing.

He does get caught out of position a lot, sometimes because he's getting caught too far upfield at inopportune times... which wouldn't happen as much if he was a CB. He could focus more on his defensive responsibilities... which need all the focus he's got...ha! He's obviously been asked to push pretty hard up the wings, considering we're so lacking in width... and it seems to overload his brain. He gets flustered and rash. Of course, that's clearly not his only problem when it comes to positioning, but it's one more thing for him to process.

Anyway, your last point is probably the best: if his buyout stays at 12M, then there is nothing to be done... that's just way way too much money.

NitK

Jul 22, 2008
This thread is just one big merry-go-round. The people who just analyze how he does, purely judging him on his quality as a player, explaining to the people who just really enjoy to see someone give his all, play with his heart, that he's really not that good.

I love it :D
He's worth buying outright.

I don't think he's worth 12mil.

He is far too reckless.

He has heart.

He's probably the best option we have right now at RB and as a backup CB.

...ok, close the thread.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Too sporadic and wild to play centerback for us at this point. What we need is a cool, calm and collective Libero next to Chiellini, not an F350 truck on steroids.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Thats true (hype them up, and disregard them quickly in first setback), I would be willing to try him, but with Caceres its not about age, but brain, so they have a point. I saw the 8 or so games he played as CB for Barca, basically was simply about running straight at the ball holder full force every time. Not the discipline of a competent CB.

More importantly Marcello, Aush told me something disturbing about you in the "what you doing now" thread, hope its not true :D

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
actually i never have seen anything that would tell me that caceres did ever get something taught regarding the defending against the opponent who has the ball ...

if he runs at full pace onto the ball leader one twist or turn will leave him dead.

you can say "fuck grygera" as often as you like, but he at least does know how to defend ... you have to back up ... move backwards while the opponent is approaching you, so it is much more difficult to skip past you... thats what grosso does also ... in terms of defending both grygera and grosso are really not only one level above caceres ... the only thing that does hinder grosso and grygera is that they are not as fast as caceres ... so perhaps we transfer grygeras brain into caceres and we are doing good ...

Showdown25

Dag-nabit!
Apr 17, 2009
People seem to forget that he's young and that you can learn positioning. Positioning is something that can be taught by a coach.

Pace, strength, drive and motivation can't exactly be taught. Well strength can be somewhat if you're pumping in the gym.

Thing is Grygera can have all the positional sense in the world. He can skip backwards all day in front of attackers but he still get's roasted. Grygera's brain isn't much better than Caceres's at all. Sure he knows when to hold and when to push up but that's about the only thing he does well. Sit back. Other than sitting back and holding the defensive line while we are attacking he does nothing better than Caceres. Plus he's been a RB for the vast majority of his career with little stints at CB in he is really needed. So accordingly Grygera knows the ins and outs of the position better than Martin right now. Every other aspect of his game is inferior to Caceres who is naturally a CB.

People expect us to be finding World class young defenders which is a very very rare case. Like I said he has all the characteristics and personality to succeed at this level even as a RB. He is far superior to what he already have also.

He isn't as composed as he needs too be yet and he does make some rash decisions but he is still young. Young players only get experience and improve if they play. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes from time to time but the mental aspect of this game can be taught and learned over time.

The defensive aspect of the game depends highly on you being able to interpret, anticipate and read the game as it flows. You aren't born able to do so, the more you play the more you learn. People expect this guy to have Cannavaro's brain in his head which is not realistic for a player of his age.

Finally I challenge anyone to tell me of a top class defender who is under the age of 25. You'd be hard pressed to find one too. There is a reason for that...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well said, Showdown.

Folks tend to be quite hasty with the youth. Caceres has the athleticism to become a solid player, but he just needs to be "re-educated."

Sorry to sound like a character from 1984.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)