Mario Balotelli (120 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
By 'that good' what do you mean? He's a quality footballer in terms of his ability, but he's such a moron that he spends most of his time in Italy throwing himself around.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Yeah, in terms of ability, you're not going to find many players who are significantly better than him. He just doesn't perform that good. Which is quite an important detail.

I remember the days when he signed for Milan and people criticized Marotta for not bringing him to Juve. :touched:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
By 'that good' what do you mean? He's a quality footballer in terms of his ability, but he's such a moron that he spends most of his time in Italy throwing himself around.
He's an absolute idiot, no doubt about that. That should not be discussed actually.

But as a footballer, I don't think he's a WC player, nor I think he can get in there. Saying that, I don't even think he's worth the money they paid for him. To me he's one of those players that you need whole team to be built around him and even then he won't shine (as suggested in younger age). I'm not saying he's a bad player, but to me he's just not that great as media (and bunch of fans) make him.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I remember the days when he signed for Milan and people criticized Marotta for not bringing him to Juve. :touched:
Better still seemed very proud of themselves when he scored a penalty every week.

- - - Updated - - -

He's an absolute idiot, no doubt about that. That should not be discussed actually.

But as a footballer, I don't think he's a WC player, nor I think he can get in there. Saying that, I don't even think he's worth the money they paid for him. To me he's one of those players that you need whole team to be built around him and even then he won't shine (as suggested in younger age). I'm not saying he's a bad player, but to me he's just not that great as media (and bunch of fans) make him.
But if you remove his mental attributes and just look at him technically and physically he is the perfect mould for a modern centre forward. He has the typical physical attributes of a big African striker but his control and dribbling is that of a smaller, technical player. His finishing and shooting from range is also fairly strong.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
But if you remove his mental attributes and just look at him technically and physically he is the perfect mould for a modern centre forward. He has the typical physical attributes of a big African striker but his control and dribbling is that of a smaller, technical player. His finishing and shooting from range is also fairly strong.
I wouldn't describe him as a modern center forward at all. Players like Cavani and Falcao are that (even as he's a lesser level he doesn't come close to them). He's not the type of player on who you can rely to score goals, nor is the only that creates chances like an old school SS. His finishing nor heading is not at the high(est) level, far from it. He's good at holding the ball and being agile enough to get into the box, but he lacks way too many characteristics to be anything close to a world class player.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I agree with Dule. Just because he's tall and not clumsy doesn't mean he has the potential to be one of the best. It becomes and argument of would've and could've. Those are just hypotheticals and Balo has not done anything other than score some Quagliarella style goals to deserve the praise.

But he's milked the black moody Italian player persona to the max. Dude got the cover of Sports Illustrated.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'm sure you can do better than 'tall and not clumsy' as a description, it's pretty obvious he's a good footballer. I think it's also easily forgotten that he is still only 23 years old. Yes, 23, that's when most 'kids' start playing in Serie A. But like many wonderkids who shine early in their careers maybe he will burn out.

When I say modern centre forward I'm not just speaking about someone who scores 40 goals per season. I'm saying he has athleticism and technique to not just play as a static #9, he can assist, move into wide areas of the pitch, as well as use his size. That he chooses to spend a lot of game being a prick is a different issue.

At 23 Cavani was just coming of age, few would have put him above Balotelli after a dozen goals at Palermo. The same for Falcao moving from River to Porto after a similar tally. Their careers have been on an upward spiral ever since, Balotelli's is probably going in the other direction.

But he's not doing too badly himself in terms of goals. One every other game from his time at City and Milan, the same for Italy, who he has generally upped his game for, i.e. cut out a lot of the crap.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Let him mature for a couple more years at the expense of all our rivals and then swoop in and....:shocked:

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Not WC :howler:

Name me one bigger Italian talent in today's game.

His attitude is fucked up but looking at his raw talent he's a 'once in a generation talent' like Götze and Neymar are and the crème de la crème of this current young Italian generation.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
Like others have said, with him there's a big difference between "can/could" & "will/would". He has all the potential in the world to become WC, definitely, more than other current young Italian forwards. But if he keeps up the road he's going down? No way. At this point, Insigne will end up better than him. Maybe Berardi too, but it's way too early to call that one IMO.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

His attitude is fucked up but looking at his raw talent he's a 'once in a generation talent' like Götze and Neymar are and the crème de la crème of this current young Italian generation.
WTF? Wait, so if there isn't a bigger Italian (young) talent out there that instantly make him a world class player?

- - - Updated - - -

i think crisis in milan club has severely affected on mario balotelli performance in the recent weeks.
In City as well, I guess.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007

World class doesn't describe ability but performance. On what stage has he shown to be a world class player?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 120)